• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Wildest Dream : Conquest of Mt.Everest

gerhard dengler

Fascinating documentary about the ill fated 1924 George Mallory & Sandy Irvine expedition on BBC2 right now.

This story is one that I have read widely about and it is a subject of fascination especially "did they reach the summit?" question.

Gurdiev

Watching it ....fascinating

Hitch 22

Mallory is still lying where his corpse came to rest on a scree covered slope.

[video=youtube;UFr1KdY6aiw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr1KdY6aiw[/video]

EvotingMachine0197

Damn, I'd like to see that. There's a good modern Everest documentary on Netflix too for anyone who uses it.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
I think anyone with a romantic bone in their body would love to think they, or at very least Mallory, did. But apart from his utter fanaticism, it's hard to think he would have overcome such odds. He was remarkably single minded, to the point where one must almost question whether he put his burning ambition ahead of his family.

Hitch 22

Most people who die on Everest remain where they fell.

List of people who died climbing Mount Everest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The route is littered with trash, tents, oxygen bottles and corpses.

It's a scary place up there:

A teenager who became the youngest British woman to scale Mount Everest at the weekend has described the harrowing moment she walked around mountaineers killed in last weekend's deadly storm.
As Leanna Shuttleworth ascended the top of the world's highest summit, she had to walk around dead and dying climbers - some of whom were still attached to the fixed mountaineering lines.
Miss Shuttleworth echoed reports of the dangerous 'traffic jam' at Everest's summit.
The 19-year-old said about 150 climbers all rushed to summit the mountain during a small window of good weather and the queues to ascend to the peak caused dangerous delays.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149827/Mount-Everest-deaths-Teenager-Leanne-Shuttleworth-describes-walking-dead-climbers.html

Sharing your oxygen or trying to carry an injured person could be fatal.

A person with a broken leg up there is super f*cked.

Last edited:

gijoe

The Summit documentary is on RTE 1 next Monday night at 9.30. It features the circumstances around how Ger McDonnell and 10 others were killed on K2.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
The Summit documentary is on RTE 1 next Monday night at 9.30. It features the circumstances around how Ger McDonnell and 10 others were killed on K2.
Thank you.

Once in a blue moon, this site proves useful.

Paddy Sarkozy

Difficult to have much sympathy for the fallen climbers.
Just because a mountain is there is NOT a reason to go climb it. Leave it alone. Look on it from afar. A lot of Everest climbers are suffering from a form of megalomania.
The urge to climb that mountain should now be diagnosed as an illness.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Difficult to have much sympathy for the fallen climbers.
Just because a mountain is there is NOT a reason to go climb it. Leave it alone. Look on it from afar. A lot of Everest climbers are suffering from a form of megalomania.
The urge to climb that mountain should now be diagnosed as an illness.
I agree that some suffer an obsession.

But people will engage in expeditions that will expose them to risk, from polar explorers to mountaineers, and the pioneers took the greatest risks. But risk taking is often a facet of doing something we love, in fact the risk may increase the allure. You played rugby, what do you think about those who break their necks in scrums or suffer long term health issues from concussions? They took the risks, knew the dangers and possible outcomes etc. etc.

gijoe

Surprised no one resurrected this thread after the summit documentary aired. Fascinating documentary to say the least. If you missed it its still on the RTE Player. If you cannot access the player abroad I think its on itunes. I suppose the supposition of the documentary is that the South Koreans in particular were to blame but blame also lay with the chaos that too many different expeditions pulling their own way caused as well. What I found interesting was the hours wasted on the climb due to having run out of rope and having to pull it from behind because they started the roping just 10m from the camp rather than hundreds of metre's further forward and that people had been summiting all day and made it back safely and it was those in the queue that got caught by the wasted time.

The Summit - RTÉ Player

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Surprised no one resurrected this thread after the summit documentary aired. Fascinating documentary to say the least.
Saw it, wasn't gone on it. A good story, told competently, not sure how they thought it was worthy of a film though. Would have been a good hour long documentary. Like...

Eiger - Wall of Death - Full Documentary - YouTube

I think there is always going to be a question mark over Confortola and why his story changed. But that's what happens in these things, climbing, polar expeditions etc. The aftermath is full of contradictions and finger pointing.