• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Will a FG/LAB Government rely on a corrupt TD for support?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com

Michael Lowry TD looks set to top the poll again in Tipperary North. Thus denying any potential FG/LAB coalition a crucial seat from that constituency.

The former Fine Gael Minister took over 10,000 votes in 2002 and looks certain to top the poll again in 2007.

Given Rabbitte's past comments on corruption, one wonders will he bite his tongue and rely on Lowry’s support to elect a FG/LAB administration…

blue33

what are they going to do? Lowry will support FG regardless of whether they ask him or not, how can they stop him from supporting them? It's a bloody stupid thread, governments can't help who supports them, its like asking would Kenny resign if SF voted for him for taoiseach.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I don't think he means it as simplistically as that Blue.

I think TK means that if in the same situation that FF/PD's were after 1997, lets say two votes shy of an overall majority, would a FG/Lab government go to lets say for example Catherine Murphy and Micheal Lowry and ask for their support in keeping any alternative administration going.

This would come into play if Micheal Lowry asked for concessions for North Tipperary in the same manner as JHR did from the PD's, and as far back as 1981, Tony Gregory did for FF (or even Jim Kemmy did for FG/Lab in the past)

In this situation, would FG/Lab play ball with Lowry, or would they go back to the public for a new mandate instead of dealing with a man they percieve as tainted with corruption ?

I think its a reasonably fair question.

Parnell

......and to make the question even fairer; If FF were short in numbers would they rely on the support of Beverly Flynn?

I think that balances it out.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Parnell said:
......and to make the question even fairer; If FF were short in numbers would they rely on the support of Beverly Flynn?

I think that balances it out.

It's unlikely she'll be a TD by then so the question is academic.

Terry Mac

But when it comes down to it blue is right, its not like Enda will be going begging for Lowry's support, doing any deals, his support for FG Taoiseach is a given and nothing can change that, if he puts FG in government so be it.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Terry Mac said:
But when it comes down to it blue is right, its not like Enda will be going begging for Lowry's support, doing any deals, his support for FG Taoiseach is a given and nothing can change that, if he puts FG in government so be it.

But the question is would they rely on him to prop up their administration if there were only 1 or 2 votes in it... shows how hypocritical Kenny and Rabitte are

Terry Mac

TKwhiskers said:
Terry Mac said:

But the question is would they rely on him to prop up their administration if there were only 1 or 2 votes in it... shows how hypocritical Kenny and Rabitte are
Of course they would, are u tellin me that if Lowry supported a FG led government (which he will, whether they ask him or not), that Enda and Pat wouldn't form the government even tho it had support of the Dáil and would instead go back to the people. FF relied on Lawlor for a while you know.

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
TKwhiskers said:
Terry Mac said:

No, it doesn't. If they were to ask him for support, it would but they're hardly going to ask an elected representative of the people not to vote for his own choice of Taoiseach.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
green said:
TKwhiskers said:
Terry Mac said:

No, it doesn't. If they were to ask him for support, it would but they're hardly going to ask an elected representative of the people not to vote for his own choice of Taoiseach.

Ok, so they'd have no problem accepting support from Sinn Féin / IRA?

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
TKwhiskers said:
Ok, so they'd have no problem accepting support from Sinn Féin / IRA?
Can you give any reason why they should have a problem with it? If you're talking about actively courting such support, in return for Ministerial posts or constituency goodies you'd be a lot closer to having a point, but do you really think issue a public statement after an election requesting SF not to vote for their candidate as Taoiseach? And that SF would obey?

TheChief

Given that FF and the PDs have, in the past, relied on Beverly Cooper-Thingy, Liam Lawlor, Denis Foley, John Ellis and Michael Collins - i think its a bit rich of Shinners, or any worse forms of pondlife, to bring it up now in relation to Lowry.

Bear in mind that Lowry has been found guilty of nothing as yet. The Moriarty tribunal has not found anything of substance against him (ie. whether or not he did favours for Dunne, O' Brien et al.)

Remember: the only TD against whom wrongdoing has been proven is Beverly Cooper, who was deemed to be a liar by the Supreme Court

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
TheChief said:
Bear in mind that Lowry has been found guilty of nothing as yet. The Moriarty tribunal has not found anything of substance against him (ie. whether or not he did favours for Dunne, O' Brien et al.)
If Lowry did nothing wrong why did he have to resign as a Government Minister?

BeerBaron69

TheChief said:
Given that FF and the PDs have, in the past, relied on Beverly Cooper-Thingy, Liam Lawlor, Denis Foley, John Ellis and Michael Collins - i think its a bit rich of Shinners, or any worse forms of pondlife, to bring it up now in relation to Lowry.

Remember: the only TD against whom wrongdoing has been proven is Beverly Cooper, who was deemed to be a liar by the Supreme Court
I think all talk here is premature until after the election-there is bound to be a shock or two in the polls. I agree with the point about Cooper Flynn though.

BarryW

To the Shinner people commenting here:

Any potential FF/SF government would be relying on the support of Martin Ferris and Aengus O' Snodaigh - two people who have had far more serious dalliances (or allegations of same) with the law than Lowry.

Ferris is a convicted terrorist. Allegedly, he's a leading member of an illegal terrorist organisation.

O' Snodaigh's mucker Niall Bennett is a convicted terrorist. Men were arrested and charged after being found with fake Garda uniforms, CS gas, and O' Snodaigh election posters.
(And on Edit: his wife is a drunken lod-mouthed yob who used her husband's status to threaten Gardai who were attempting to do their job and keep the peace)

So who has more of a shadow over them? Lowry, or Ferris and O' Snodaigh?

I presume that my Shinner friends are as appalled by the prospect of a government being held up by Ferris/Aengus, as they are of one held up by Lowry?

Yes or no answers will suffice

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
BeerBaron69 said:
I think all talk here is premature until after the election-there is bound to be a shock or two in the polls.
With all due respect, the people have a right to know if Enda & Pat are willing to allow themselves be under the thumb of a creature like Michael Lowry.

BeerBaron69

As do the people if Bertie may rely on SF and Beverly Cooper Flynn. Maybe Lowry wont win a seat-Maybe he will-its all speculative until after the election.

geraghd

TKwhiskers said:
TheChief said:
If Lowry did nothing wrong why did he have to resign as a Government Minister?
Because as you say we have far higher standards than FF in public office and there should never be serious questions of wrong doing on a government minister. Contrast this with your own party. I suggest one should always have their own house in order first before one tries to question another's.

BarryW

TKwhiskers said:
With all due respect, the people have a right to know if Enda & Pat are willing to allow themselves be under the thumb of a creature like Michael Lowry.
Kenny has made very clear his position re. Lowry - on several occasions.
see his last appearance on Q&A for example

TK - does the public not deserve to know from your beloved Bertie whether or not he will rely on convicted terrorists after the next election ?