Will Artificial intelligence (AI) be the next scare replacing climate change

valamhic

Climate change hysteria and climate change concern is based on predictions of future weather events which will take decades to prove or disprove. Throughout my lifetime, I have seen several scares come and go. The period of their life cycle can be as short as 5 years or as long as 50 years. Remedies always involve human sacrifice. In Europe religious hysteria lasted 1500 years and caused monasteries, reformations, nuns and fear of hell.

Not all scares are based on fake predictions. Generally the shorter the life cycle of the scare the more genuine it is because action can be taken and monitored within the attention span of the masses. We only have to look around to see that the climate change life cycle has passed maturity and is heading into decline. it is incompatible with nationalism, human endevour and a society where young people reject ten year old dogma. What will replace it when we know there will always be a human scare, its part of our condition. The key pointer is the advance of information technology.

Artificial Intelligence is a scary concept, it might steal our jobs, but is a very real manifestation of where we are heading. When the genie is out of the bottle, how will it be controlled. It just takes one military controlled drone to run amok over Santa Barbra to get a scare up and running. If not AI, what else could it be?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/01/...ange-in-davos/

owedtojoy

ZZZZZzzzzzOOOOOOoooooooo .....

Casablanca

[video=youtube;KsaRYMh6c3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsaRYMh6c3w[/video]

Brenny

Excess plastic, fish stock depletion, honey bee depletion, soil erosion and ground water quality deterioration are all environmental topics which should command as much attention as climate change. AI is a different topic entirely and I'm not sure if the general public can grasp the danger there.

Brenny

Do you ever go outside or even look out your window you clown... :roll:
I challenge any climate change sceptic to go to Alaska, northern Scandinavia or Siberia and simply talk with older people there in an honest fashion about their memories of past weather conditions. A talk with an Alaskan fisherman put a huge dent in my father's scepticism.

benroe

Anybody try the Amazon Echo dot or the Google home?
I'm thinking about getting one to help with my increasing forgetfulness.

Roll_On

Climate change hysteria and climate change concern is based on predictions of future weather events which will take decades to prove or disprove. Throughout my lifetime, I have seen several scares come and go. The period of their life cycle can be as short as 5 years or as long as 50 years. Remedies always involve human sacrifice. In Europe religious hysteria lasted 1500 years and caused monasteries, reformations, nuns and fear of hell.

Not all scares are based on fake predictions. Generally the shorter the life cycle of the scare the more genuine it is because action can be taken and monitored within the attention span of the masses. We only have to look around to see that the climate change life cycle has passed maturity and is heading into decline. it is incompatible with nationalism, human endevour and a society where young people reject ten year old dogma. What will replace it when we know there will always be a human scare, its part of our condition. The key pointer is the advance of information technology.

Artificial Intelligence is a scary concept, it might steal our jobs, but is a very real manifestation of where we are heading. When the genie is out of the bottle, how will it be controlled. It just takes one military controlled drone to run amok over Santa Barbra to get a scare up and running. If not AI, what else could it be?

Aren't you the lad who went out to high ground to measure wind speed to determine an average wind turbine capacity factor? gas.

But shure c'mere there are many things to fear:
The damage we're doing to the world with pollutants, climate change and automation and the Swedish, to name but a few.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

AI doesn't have to be at a Skynet level of cognition to be dangerous.

A driver-less car AI that decides that the road continues straight ahead and goes off a cliff will kill you as much as Arnie with a machine gun.

So yes, giving too much autonomy to artificial intelligence is a genuine cause for concern.

Who do you think flies airliners for most of the journey? The pilot?

Deadlock

Anybody try the Amazon Echo dot or the Google home?
I'm thinking about getting one to help with my increasing forgetfulness.
I've heard that they can be hacked pretty easily. You should probably check that out.

Dame_Enda

Story yesterday that Ireland wants robot judges in future. Might take inconsistency out of sentencing.

Spirit Of Newgrange

in the same way that mechanization removed lots of farm workers, AI will be removing a lot of the easier and more humdrum jobs from the world of bureaucracy.

its probably a bad thing. Like nuclear weapons, once the genie is out of the bottle it is impossible to stop. clever jobs will still need people. Also handyman type jobs. Other stuff will see AI taking over jobs in banks/civil service etc etc

CookieMonster

I've heard that they can be hacked pretty easily. You should probably check that out.
This is true. Someone keeps hacking my Google and making it play B*Witched's Champagne or Guinness over and over again.

Clanrickard

Be nice if you any intelligence artificial or otherwise.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies