Will Brain Crowley run in 2019?

loner

Brian Cowley has the worst voting record of any MEP. As far as I'm aware he hasn't voted once since being re-elected as MEP in 2014.

I have sympathy for Brain Crowley due to his serious disability. However it's time for Micheal Martin to show some backbone and tell Crowley he must stand down. It's not fair that the Irish people are not getting adequate representation in Europe. I fear that FF will let the issue slide and help Brian Crowley to run again in 2019.
Think Crowley has broken his link with FF

Researchwill

I sometimes wonder whether, if Charles Jay Haughey was still with us, he would transfer his legendary description of the Drumcondra Knacker as being "the most cunning, the most devious, the most unprincipled and the greediest member of this great party of ours" to Wheelchair Johnny.

Because whatever sympathy one may have for him on foot of his unfortunate accident when trespassing, there can be little doubt that the Bandon money-grabber fits that description to a T.
He was playing on the roof of the bank building with if I remember correctly the son of the bank manager.

From the IR

“the plaintiff and other boys, including the son of the bank manager then in occupation of these premises, were accustomed from time to time to playing games together on the lower, unprotected roof; that they had done so on at least four or five occasions prior to this unfortunate accident and that the games were of the nature of tip rugby or similar games”

I do not think a 16 year old who is playing ball with the son of the bank manager would think he was doing anything unlawful.

Dan_Murphy

It's not fair that the Irish people are not getting adequate representation in Europe.
Since when has FF ever given a damn about whats good for the Irish people? If that ever factored into their calculations he would have resigned ages ago.

If Crowley doesn't run it'll be because his ill health has prevented it, nothing else.

Mushroom

He was playing on the roof of the bank building with if I remember correctly the son of the bank manager.

I do not think a 16 year old who is playing ball with the son of the bank manager would think he was doing anything unlawful.
ignorantia legis neminem excusat

Researchwill

ignorantia legis neminem excusat
Well the Court decided it was in this case. I wonder why you removed my quote from Irish Reports?

From the Head Note

“Held by the Supreme Court (Finlay C.J., Walsh, Henchy, Hederman and Barr JJ.), in allowing the appeal, that on the jury finding that the defendant knew that boys had played and were likely to play on the unprotected roof, and in the absence of any evidence that the defendant attempted to prevent or prohibit the plaintiff and other boys from playing there, it was not open to the trial judge to hold that there was a sufficient nexus between any negligent design by the third party and the immediate causes of the accident.”

“There can be no doubt on all the evidence in this case that the servants or agents of the defendant, prior to the happening of this accident were completely and fully aware of the danger of permitting boys to play upon this unguarded roof and that, in the words of the extract which I have just read from the judgment of Henchy J., they ignored that danger and, by permitting the continuation of the playing by the boys upon the unguarded roof, subjected them to the risk which caused this accident. In these circumstances, I am satisfied that the third party is entitled to succeed on the first ground argued on its behalf in this appeal. Having reached that decision it is unnecessary for me to reach any conclusion and I express no view on issues raised in this case concerning in particular the provisions of ss. 21, 22 and 29 of the Civil Liability Act, 1961, which may fall to be decided in some other case. I would accordingly allow this appeal, set aside the order made on the issue between the defendant and the third party and substitute therefor an order dismissing the claim of the defendant against the third party”

Last edited:

fifilawe

God help us another Fr.Jack Hackett.I am sure he has learnt off by heart his lines for the FF cumann , "That would be an electorate matter", "Votes", "Feck Off" ,"Massive Pension", "Euro-Gravy", ....... I could go on.He is the reason this country is misgoverned, the EU is full of corrupt practices etc ..............................

Mushroom

I wonder why you removed my quote from Irish Reports?
I didn't. If you look in Irish Reports, you'll see that it's still there!

However, if you meant that you wonder why I didn't quote you in full, it's because I hadn't a fukcing clue what you meant by "From the IR" in your post, so naturally assumed that you had pulled some load of legalistic blather from one of your less suntanned orifices.

In future, if you want to quote from somewhere in support of an argument, then post a link so the source is clear and traceable.

Incidentally, whether or not BC managed to get a damage award from a sympathetic Supreme Court for his awful injury doesn't change the fact that he was trespassing when he fell.

Ardillaun

Irish courts make a good few foolish decisions. He shouldn't have been there.

And he shouldn't have applied for and kept his current job, a significant post for our country's interests, if he wasn't going to do it. Even most of us crazies on p.ie can understand that.

Researchwill

I didn't. If you look in Irish Reports, you'll see that it's still there!

However, if you meant that you wonder why I didn't quote you in full, it's because I hadn't a fukcing clue what you meant by "From the IR" in your post, so naturally assumed that you had pulled some load of legalistic blather from one of your less suntanned orifices.

In future, if you want to quote from somewhere in support of an argument, then post a link so the source is clear and traceable.

Incidentally, whether or not BC managed to get a damage award from a sympathetic Supreme Court for his awful injury doesn't change the fact that he was trespassing when he fell.
IR means Irish Reports [1987] IR 282

Researchwill

Irish courts make a good few foolish decisions. He shouldn't have been there.

And he shouldn't have applied for and kept his current job, a significant post for our country's interests, if he wasn't going to do it. Even most of us crazies on p.ie can understand that.
Did you read the report?

ticketyboo

From the IR

“the plaintiff and other boys, including the son of the bank manager then in occupation of these premises, were accustomed from time to time to playing games together on the lower, unprotected roof; that they had done so on at least four or five occasions prior to this unfortunate accident and that the games were of the nature of tip rugby or similar games”

Said it before and I'll say it again.....if this site were to regain an ounce of credibility and respectability then the anonymity should go....put up your real name and determine if you can retain your "standing in the community" when people see you refer to a disabled public rep as "wheelchair Johny" like that odious scumbag going under the moniker mushroom has done and making a casual inference round the circumstances of his accident....."trespassing" ....he deserved it.....a child playing.......
And if you happen to be reading this for the first time and feel like taking issue with me for not practicing as I preach....I did....started a thread and told the whole site my real name.....those who bothered to respond roundly defeated me in the court of public opinion, but it doesn't change my mind....let the world see the person they meet in public and behold the opinions they have.....cowards, one and all...

Aquilius

Well if he runs again and the people of the South elect him its their own stupidity in doing so. The way in which we elect MEP's however in my opinion is flawed.

A simple reform of the voting system would do a lot of good. Make the country as a whole a single constituency and allow for Party List voting - seats would be won based on a party's vote share.

Ardillaun

By failing to turn up he is doing a serious disservice to the country and anybody with a disability.

Researchwill

Said it before and I'll say it again.....if this site were to regain an ounce of credibility and respectability then the anonymity should go....put up your real name and determine if you can retain your "standing in the community" when people see you refer to a disabled public rep as "wheelchair Johny" like that odious scumbag going under the moniker mushroom has done and making a casual inference round the circumstances of his accident....."trespassing" ....he deserved it.....a child playing.......
And if you happen to be reading this for the first time and feel like taking issue with me for not practicing as I preach....I did....started a thread and told the whole site my real name.....those who bothered to respond roundly defeated me in the court of public opinion, but it doesn't change my mind....let the world see the person they meet in public and behold the opinions they have.....cowards, one and all...
I assume your claim of coward was not aimed at me.

Myers Mimnagh

I sometimes wonder whether, if Charles Jay Haughey was still with us, he would transfer his legendary description of the Drumcondra Knacker as being "the most cunning, the most devious, the most unprincipled and the greediest member of this great party of ours" to Wheelchair Johnny.

Because whatever sympathy one may have for him on foot of his unfortunate accident when trespassing, there can be little doubt that the Bandon money-grabber fits that description to a T.
Have to agree there Shroom, surely the electorate wouldn’t be stupid would they?

Oh!!! Wait!,

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies