• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Will carers be forced to drop their patients into casualty departments for a break?

potholedogger

Joan Burton just does not understand what a carers respite break is. 77,000 carers are literally dead on their feet from tiredness due to long hours caring for their loved ones.

Carers provide care on a 24 hour basis 7 days a week 365 days a year. They need to have breaks to rest and to preserve their mental well being.

Many carers live under a great mental strain caring for people with dementia, mental retardation which is very wearing and tiring.

Reducing respite grant assistance amounts to cutting their respite break, as the costs of respite care have not fallen and many HSE respite services are withdrawn by the HSE.

It would seem reasonable for say 1200 carers to drop their patients into casualty departments on Monday each week to obtain a weeks respite break. That way the 77,000 carers could get a break for a week of the year?

The impact on the HSE's 10,000 public bed spaces in the Hospital network would effectively freeze the operation of the hospital system!

TiredOfBeingTired

Based on a recent A&E/casuality experience, A&E may not admit them.
If its not an accident or emergency, then A&E may not admit them.

This is based on phone calls between my GP and the local A&E and whether a relative should be sent back to them.

This may vary from hospital to hospital.

Merovingian

Well one of this issues that has come to the fore here is that the grant was not being used in many cases for respite care. It is unvouched. Why is it called a Respite Grant when there is no requirement for it to be used as such. Don't get me wrong full time carers who cannot rely on other family members to help out so that they can get a break away should receive state support to pay the costs of respite care. No question. However, it should be vouched for and used for that specific purpose only. Do all 70K carers need financial support to help with respite. What about the collective responsibilities of other family members.

Ryan Tubbs

What I want to know is, how did carers survive on €1,300 in 2006, but now suddenly a€1,375 in 2013 is completely awful and will leave them destitute?

spidermom

Hospitals always get "social admissions"...have done for a long time!!
:(

Dunlin3

Well one of this issues that has come to the fore here is that the grant was not being used in many cases for respite care. It is unvouched. Why is it called a Respite Grant when there is no requirement for it to be used as such. Don't get me wrong full time carers who cannot rely on other family members to help out so that they can get a break away should receive state support to pay the costs of respite care. No question. However, it should be vouched for and used for that specific purpose only. Do all 70K carers need financial support to help with respite. What about the collective responsibilities of other family members.
I heard one interview in which the carer admitted to using the respite grant to pay car insurance and other bills.

Last edited:

firefly123

Round about now we will start seeing the grannies being sent to the A&E for the Christmas. Happens every year.

asset test

The Government is relying in the love and integrity of carers.

Those in receipt of such allowances could have handed over care to the State, but chose not to out of love and commitment.

They are the last people to dump granny at the hospital door.

But I certainly would not blame anyone for so doing.

A thankless job, but done out of love, thats for sure. There doesn't seem to be any other recompense for devoting all your time and attention to something that the State does for those who do not have family to care for them.

Or sometimes family are there, but for one reason or another cannot, or ðecide not to take on the job.

We were members of the carer cohort for years. So I know what I'm talking about here.

spidermom

Majority like you Asset ( but firely and I can confirm that there are plenty of social admissions....)...and OF COURSE respite is spent on other things...cos its fe*king hard to work and care....!! :(

Its cat!!....

BTW....there are many who should not be in hospitals....not just those who are cared for....!!...you get the VIP who is kept in cos the "decorators" are in....etc.... :(

asset test

Majority like you Asset ( but firely and I can confirm that there are plenty of social admissions....)...and OF COURSE respite is spent on other things...cos its fe*king hard to work and care....!! :(

Its cat!!....

BTW....there are many who should not be in hospitals....not just those who are cared for....!!...you get the VIP who is kept in cos the "decorators" are in....etc.... :(
Well I'm no VIP, but we are getting our kitchen plastered ( along with myself ho ho ho) soon.

So what do I do to get away?

Answers on a postcard please

Sense 0f Wonder

The sociopathic, narcissistic individuals that govern Ireland don't care much about the average citizen except when it comes to lying their way to a vote.

Those who cannot take care of themselves barely get a look in. Nor do their families.

I hope that one day there is a collective realisation that the people who run Ireland are in fact not our 'representatives,' but our enemies. The sooner that day comes the better, because once it happens --and the Irish people stop feeling too shameful and bashful to stick up for themselves-- the politicians will only have a small window of time in which to put some things straight.

The consequences of failure for the politicians at that point are terrible to ponder and difficult to predict.

Ryan Tubbs

The sociopathic, narcissistic individuals that govern Ireland don't care much about the average citizen except when it comes to lying their way to a vote.
I often wonder if people who spout this sort of thing actually believe what they're saying

spidermom

HMMmmmmm....a fractured hip perhaps...a heart attack...a cardiac arrest...???...we might keep you in then...at least in the Acute Medical Unit anyways!!...:)

Have a healthy one folks...I'm in work for the duration....could do with it being quiet!!
Well I'm no VIP, but we are getting our kitchen plastered ( along with myself ho ho ho) soon.

So what do I do to get away?

Answers on a postcard please

asset test

HMMmmmmm....a fractured hip perhaps...a heart attack...a cardiac arrest...???...we might keep you in then...at least in the Acute Medical Unit anyways!!...:)

Have a healthy one folks...I'm in work for the duration....could do with it being quiet!!
I was joking.. As you know, And touching wood like there was no ash tree virus.

My mother had to go to Tallaght Hospital as an emrgency last Christmas Night. Trauma for her, terror for us. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

But they played a blinder there, nothing but praise.

Hope The mad Season passes OK for you Spidermom.

Con Gallagher

What I want to know is, how did carers survive on €1,300 in 2006, but now suddenly a€1,375 in 2013 is completely awful and will leave them destitute?
I wonder does that have to do with the recession, higher prices in food/electricity/petrol/home heating, higher threshold for drugs allowance, GP fees/hospital admission charges being increased, those on non-tracker mortgages, having younger relatives emigrate, etc?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Carers are a worthy cause...but so are many others. The respite grant was introduced in 1999, and if it had merely followed inflation it would be €550 now, not €1375 and definitely not €1700

The bubble spending has to end, so "worthy causes" will have to be cut

cYp

asset test

Carers are a worthy cause...but so are many others. The respite grant was introduced in 1999, and if it had merely followed inflation it would be €550 now, not €1375 and definitely not €1700

The bubble spending has to end, so "worthy causes" will have to be cut

cYp
Now you know what your comment will invite?

Expenses for the Dail members
Pensions for the bankers
And so on.

We're they all cut by 20%,? And really, would that affect them much?

goosebump

Joan Burton just does not understand what a carers respite break is. 77,000 carers are literally dead on their feet from tiredness due to long hours caring for their loved ones.

Carers provide care on a 24 hour basis 7 days a week 365 days a year. They need to have breaks to rest and to preserve their mental well being.

Many carers live under a great mental strain caring for people with dementia, mental retardation which is very wearing and tiring.

Reducing respite grant assistance amounts to cutting their respite break, as the costs of respite care have not fallen and many HSE respite services are withdrawn by the HSE.

It would seem reasonable for say 1200 carers to drop their patients into casualty departments on Monday each week to obtain a weeks respite break. That way the 77,000 carers could get a break for a week of the year?

The impact on the HSE's 10,000 public bed spaces in the Hospital network would effectively freeze the operation of the hospital system!
I wonder how carers in the UK survive?

They get a third of what carers here get in terms of a weekly payment, and have no automatic entitlement to respite assistance.

For the majority of those who do get respite assistance, they get it in kind rather than in cash.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Now you know what your comment will invite?

Expenses for the Dail members
Pensions for the bankers
And so on.

We're they all cut by 20%,? And really, would that affect them much?

That to an extent is whataboutery ....fact is the Respite Grant rocketed upwards during the bubble....it needs to come down, as do the rest.