Will Cowen run for re-election in spring?

Disillusioned democrat

I was wondering about which hitherto “safe” FF Ministers will find some reasons to not run for election in Spring to avoid the wrath of the people…if you don’t run the people can’t reject you.
I see Ahern (the wrong one, unfortunately) won’t be putting himself into the stocks to face our judgement, and I feel a little robbed to be honest), and now I wonder if Brian Cowen himself will make the same leap of logic and decide to pursue a career in law to avoid the risk of being rejected.

Sean-Bhean bhoct

I was wondering about which hitherto “safe” FF Ministers will find some reasons to not run for election in Spring to avoid the wrath of the people…if you don’t run the people can’t reject you.
I see Ahern (the wrong one, unfortunately) won’t be putting himself into the stocks to face our judgement, and I feel a little robbed to be honest), and now I wonder if Brian Cowen himself will make the same leap of logic and decide to pursue a career in law to avoid the risk of being rejected.
The chances of Cowen not being elected in Laois/Offaly are extremely slim. He's the frontrunner to top the poll.

harryshounds

in breeding in offaly has pretty much ment biffo will top the poll again and again no matter what he does.

Freedom front

in breeding in offaly has pretty much ment biffo will top the poll again and again no matter what he does.

Don't be too sure , There are allot of unemployed people in Offaly who attribute their predicament to Brian Cowen & Fianna Fail corruption

willoughby

Don't be too sure , There are allot of unemployed people in Offaly who attribute their predicament to Brian Cowen & Fianna Fail corruption
Aye, and alot of those were unemployed at the last local election when FF's vote actually increased in Offaly.

Sean-Bhean bhoct

As I said, the only surprise in that constituency will be if Cowen fails to top the poll. I reckon he'll pull in with over 10,000 first preferences.

The other two FFers will suffer however.

harryshounds

i've a mate that lives in biffo country. i said the same to him there's no way they'll vote for him....not vote for him,he'll win it...was his reply.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
If he remains leader, he'll run. If he's not, there's a possibility he could resign, although I think he would personally find that hard. Having been battered and bruised for the last two years, he's not used to it. He's normally the bruiser. The campaign, even in his native place, will not be pleasant. And it's his father's seat, and the atavism alone at a subconscious level will prevent him from giving it up easily, and succumbing sheepishly to waves of discontent (in a bizarre mix of metaphors).

Disillusioned democrat

If he had any shame he would call it a day
I kind of wondered about that too - being relegated to the back benches, becoming the Bertie-esque figure of ridicule by the soon to become Government in all future debates on the economy, not being able to bag the goodies for his constituency anymore...would there be any dignity in being the country TD for an irrelevant backwater after being the Taoiseach (albeit the worst one in the history of the state - hopefully forever).

Freedom front

As I said, the only surprise in that constituency will be if Cowen fails to top the poll. I reckon he'll pull in with over 10,000 first preferences.

The other two FFers will suffer however.
If this to be the result in the next election , we will need to build a wall around Offaly and call it the National Mental Hospital County Offaly

harryshounds

if he was to loose his seat it would show a real sea change in ireland where people finally stopped voting on family loyalties and parish pump politics.............................i wont hold my breadth:(

ruamruam

I kind of wondered about that too - being relegated to the back benches, becoming the Bertie-esque figure of ridicule by the soon to become Government in all future debates on the economy, not being able to bag the goodies for his constituency anymore...would there be any dignity in being the country TD for an irrelevant backwater after being the Taoiseach (albeit the worst one in the history of the state - hopefully forever).
I'm not sure he was the worst Taoiseach ever, I think Ahern was as bad as him. Joint worst?

Baron von Biffo

The pity is we don't have an anti-Cowen candidate. Someone we could use to vote against him. Last time voters here were able to unseat Parlon by voting FG but there's no chance of doing the same to Cowen.

Disillusioned democrat

I'm not sure he was the worst Taoiseach ever, I think Ahern was as bad as him. Joint worst?
Hmmmm - in fairness, Bertie never signed a blanket guarantee for the banks that hobbled the decision making process thereafter. Cowen's defense is that he's only ever made one bad decision, but Jaysus was it a big one.

Bertie just set the scene. Still I have to give it to you....joint worst.

cricket

Strangely enough , during the summer a FF member from the constituency speculated in conversation with me about this. His exact words were " it wouldn't surprise me if Cowen packed it in ". Said that Biffo was just totally peed off with politics.

Quiet Man

Strangely enough , during the summer a FF member from the constituency speculated in conversation with me about this. His exact words were " it wouldn't surprise me if Cowen packed it in ". Said that Biffo was just totally peed off with politics.
It wont happen, he will run and be elected

daveL

not only will Mr Arrogance run for re-election, the man is convinced he will be running as leader of FF.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies