Will FG and Labour ditch Croke Park?

davidcameron

How likely is it that FG and Labour will terminate the Croke Park Agreement when they win the next general election? Recent events provide justification for using the get-out clause in the agreement. Labour might see sense when it gets into government.

Rocky

If it was simply Fine Gael in government, I have little doubt that they would. However with Labour it's another story and I don't know. I think it depends on events.

Eirmail

Will the unions ditch the deal before them. Will they consider the proposed tax changes to the pension levy a pay cut and go for strikes.

RockinRolla

FG and LP are nothing more than FF's puppets.

THey are still going ahead with the 4-year plan....only SF have enough balls to turn this country on its ear and bring Ireland into the 21st century.

True Republican

How likely is it that FG and Labour will terminate the Croke Park Agreement when they win the next general election? Recent events provide justification for using the get-out clause in the agreement. Labour might see sense when it gets into government.
Only if Eamonn Gilmore is given a severe dose of electric shock therapy will the Croke Park deal, I can't believe the EU/IMF are still allowing these odious, treasonous agreement to stand. 3,300 job losses per year over the next 4 years, what a joke.

droghedasouth

The Croke park agreement will lapse because it is not being implemented.
Unions still haven't given up their half hour to cash a non-existent wage cheque.

riker1969

Only if Eamonn Gilmore is given a severe dose of electric shock therapy will the Croke Park deal, I can't believe the EU/IMF are still allowing these odious, treasonous agreement to stand. 3,300 job losses per year over the next 4 years, what a joke.
Exactly why is it a joke? There are no official statistics to show majority of Private Sector has had pay cut but every public servant has. I have asked many private sec workers-vast majority no cuts. Unemployment is no longer rising. Perhaps ,there might be room for cuts at the upper echelon but if you want a yellow pack public sector then you are only shooting yourself in the foot. You would drive out talent and I have no intention of working for peanuts and please dont quote CSO statistics as they have criticised ERSI interpretation of them.

I do have some problems with Croke Park-excess staff should be made redundant as should non performing staff. The ASTI have not yet signed up(Department and Unions still talking as an employer is entitled to do) to it, so you cant blame a lack of implementation on us but if you were a Public servant and you read his thread and newspaper commentary-why would you agree to any change when it looks like deal woud be ditched anyway??!

BTW-you are ex FF . Shame on you!!

Last edited:

True Republican

The Croke park agreement will lapse because it is not being implemented.
Unions still haven't given up their half hour to cash a non-existent wage cheque.
I bloody well hope so, its a disgrace to the private sector who will have to pay higher taxes to sustain our useless public service in Ireland, come on Varadkar and Bruton tell the unions to get stuffed.

True Republican

Exactly why is it a joke? There are no official statistics to show majority of Private Sector has had pay cut. Perhaps ,there might be room for cuts at the upper echelon but if you want a yellow pack public sector then you are only shooting yourself in the foot. You would drive out talent and I have no intention of working for peanuts and please dont quote CSO statistics as they have criticised ERSI interpretation of them.

I do have some problems with Croke Park-excess staff should be made redundant as should non performing staff.
In most EU states public sector pay is either only slightly greater or even in some cases slightly lower than private sector pay. Also tax revenues are now at 2003 levels, this year the government are spending around €19 billion whereas in 2003 the government spent €13 billion on public sector pay and pensions, next year tax revenues will probably be at 2002 levels, therefore it makes logical sense to cut public sector pay and numbers from a financial perspective.

If the government was a private employer there would have been thousands of job losses by now and plenty of workers would have had to take MAJOR pay cuts.

fizzgig

The useless public servants you are talking about will be out on the roads today and tonight helping idiots who drive too fast, cutting people from cars, treating them in hospitals, gritting the roads, picking up your rubbish etc/ That is such a broad statement, give some facts and figures to back up your statement. There's a lot of useless people in the private sector as well, you meet them everyday in all sorts of business's, but that dosen't mean there all useless. At least I hope not or we're totally f*****

davidcameron

FG and LP are nothing more than FF's puppets.
THey are still going ahead with the 4-year plan
FG and Labour will have discretion as to how to raise the money that has to be saved under the plan i.e. cutting public sector wages instead of frontline services.

paulp

Exactly why is it a joke? There are no official statistics to show majority of Private Sector has had pay cut but every public servant has. I have asked many private sec workers-vast majority no cuts. Unemployment is no longer rising. Perhaps ,there might be room for cuts at the upper echelon but if you want a yellow pack public sector then you are only shooting yourself in the foot. You would drive out talent and I have no intention of working for peanuts and please dont quote CSO statistics as they have criticised ERSI interpretation of them.

I do have some problems with Croke Park-excess staff should be made redundant as should non performing staff. The ASTI have not yet signed up(Department and Unions still talking as an employer is entitled to do) to it, so you cant blame a lack of implementation on us but if you were a Public servant and you read his thread and newspaper commentary-why would you agree to any change when it looks like deal woud be ditched anyway??!
pay peanuts get monkeys argument is also being used by top bankers - my question to you - where would the talent that would be driven out go to?

True Republican

The useless public servants you are talking about will be out on the roads today and tonight helping idiots who drive too fast, cutting people from cars, treating them in hospitals, gritting the roads, picking up your rubbish etc/ That is such a broad statement, give some facts and figures to back up your statement. There's a lot of useless people in the private sector as well, you meet them everyday in all sorts of business's, but that dosen't mean there all useless. At least I hope not or we're totally f*****
At least people in the private sector are more likely to be fired for incompetence, no doubt the majority of public sector workers are competent but the problem is that the lazy minority don't get fired from their jobs. I never said everyone in the public sector is useless, I'm referring to outdated work practices.

riker1969

In most EU states public sector pay is either only slightly greater or even in some cases slightly lower than private sector pay. Also tax revenues are now at 2003 levels, this year the government are spending around €19 billion whereas in 2003 the government spent €13 billion on public sector pay and pensions, next year tax revenues will probably be at 2002 levels, therefore it makes logical sense to cut public sector pay and numbers from a financial perspective.

If the government was a private employer there would have been thousands of job losses by now and plenty of workers would have had to take MAJOR pay cuts.
Im not saying you cant be right but if you follow the logic of your thought-you should be back at 2003 pay levels as well. Are you? I doubt it. Private sector costs are my costs too. From Petrol to food to the Doctors office-anything you name. So you cant expect one group of workers to work for way less without other costs coming down and I have just not seen that yet. I would at least like to see if they can get rid of excess staff because why should I take a pay cut to keep a non viable job in place??

True Republican

pay peanuts get monkeys argument is also being used by top bankers - my question to you - where would the talent that would be driven out go to?
Agreed with very few jobs in the private sector I doubt whether many people in the public sector are going to be quitting their jobs in the next few years, also where else in Europe or the Western world would our sooooo hardddd working teachers get better terms and conditions.

True Republican

Im not saying you cant be right but if you follow the logic of your thought-you should be back at 2003 pay levels as well. Are you? I doubt it. Private sector costs are my costs too. From Petrol to food to the Doctors office-anything you name. So you cant expect one group of workers to work for way less without other costs coming down and I have just not seen that yet. I would at least like to see if they can get rid of excess staff because why should I take a pay cut to keep a non viable job in place??
There needs to be pay cuts in the private sector as well, don't also forget between 250,000-300,000 private sector workers have lost their jobs in the last 3 years and I'm sure plenty more have had to take pay cuts.

It makes logical sense to bring public sector pay averages into line with the privae sector, obvioulsy with higher earners taking a higher percentage pay cut.

Also regarding FG and Labour, I doubt they have the moral fibre to rip up the Croke Park deal.

riker1969

At least people in the private sector are more likely to be fired for incompetence, no doubt the majority of public sector workers are competent but the problem is that the lazy minority don't get fired from their jobs. I never said everyone in the public sector is useless, I'm referring to outdated work practices.
What about outdated workplaces? Education in Ireland has always been underfunded . Computers are not really used in schools and Im a bit tired of cleaning my books of rat shyte and dont kid me that this will ever change -its always been the case during boom and bust. Good Night.

New Threads

Most Replies