Will FG turn its attention to fixing our justice system now?

Disillusioned democrat

What outcome would you have liked to see from an investigation?
That every individual garda involved gets some form of censure?
And when they're appealed? What then? And when they win their appeal, what then?

Do you work in a legal practise?
Leave to appeal has to be granted when evidence is not conclusive. I would like to have seen any member of AGS proven beyond any level of appeal to be dismissed. You know, 'cos the cops can't be criminals.

Spirit Of Newgrange

when a new party offers to be 'tough on crime' and starts to get votes....then FF/FG/Lab will take crime seriously. Until then, and while the bovine public keeps voting for the status quo then all the criminals can have a field-day

Roll_On

It never ceases to amaze me how visible and pervasive criminality is here in Ireland compared to other European countries.

You can go onto done deal now and see addresses and phone numbers for puppy farmers, on full view of the public.

You can go onto done deal and see goods that are quite clearly stolen, for sale again with thief's contact information in plain view.

You can see gypsies fishing our rivers without a license to be had

You can see Irish travelers pretty much do whatever they like; abuse animals, assault people, damage property etc. Again in full public view.

Scummers intimidate the norms in Irish cities all the time.

People with dozens of convictions are walking around doing whatever they like.

There is simply no enforcement whatsoever, even at a basic level. The only reason there isn't slaughter on the streets is because 99% of people are honest and decent and we are a relatively mono-cultural state.

We need to build a new state of the art prison and not be shy about filling it. Get rid of the gardaí and bring in an outside police force with support of Europol to replace it, it can gradually build and train an Irish police force from scratch.

Dame_Enda

The refusal of ministers to appear on Claire Byrne Live last night suggests not. Just 1% of drug offences result in prison in Co.Wexford compared to 11% in I think they said Cork. The absurd use of the Poor Box as a get out of jail free card particularly in Kerry which accounts for around 45% of all Poor Box income. :roll: Another problem was highlighted on RTE Investigates last night - where someone charged with speeding sent a cheque to pay a fine but it was refused, and also tried paying with his card which was also refused, and then was put on trial for not paying. Thankfully the judge threw the case out

Last edited:

*EPIC SUCCESS*

The refusal of ministers to appear on Claire Byrne Live last night suggests not. Just 1% of drug offences result in prison in Co.Wexford compared to 11% in I think they said Cork. The absurd use of the Poor Box as a get out of jail free card particularly in Kerry which accounts for around 45% of all Poor Box income. :roll: Another problem was highlighted on RTE Investigates last night - where someone charged with speeding sent a cheque to pay a fine but it was refused, and also tried paying with his card which was also refused, and then was put on trial for not paying. Thankfully the judge threw the case out
Maybe Terry the Crone has them on stop until they pay their bill for how to lie effectively to the people they work for?

Although considering how they do not appear to have made any strides in doing so, perhaps they are in dispute about what they paid for?

Travis Bickle

Now that Brexit is out of the headlines and the "kerfuffle" is over for now can we expect FG to turn their attention back to law and order?

Less than two weeks ago Charlie Flanagan was 50:50 on keeping his job - a pathetic MoJ letting the Gardai call the shots on the penalty points and breath tests - basically absolving themselves of any responsibility for genuine crimes within their ranks.

The excuses were pathetic too - saving tax payers money and the length of time it would take.

I heard some assistant commissioner explain that it'd take 21 (man) years...of course the interviewer never asked why they wouldn't assign 2 resources (10.5 years) or 21 resources (1 year) or 42 resources (6 months), etc....or the fact that Garda overtime for 1 month costs 10 times what they proposed to "save" the tax payers.

Law and ordering is a festering wound in Ireland's society now and FG will ignore it at their peril.
Fine Gael under Kenny and aided by the like of Coveney and Varadkar were all about telling us and agreeing with us about how terrible the various societal crises were/are and throwing their hands up and proceeding to ignore them. Fine Gael under Varadkar has shown to be little different with the despicable exception of attempting to down play homelessness, which was accepted as a crisis under Kenny and has gotten worse, but Leo still tried to down play it to cover his arse.
In short, they'll find something else to moan about, to avoid doing any work. Maybe single mothers or Elves on the shelves?

Paddyc

It never ceases to amaze me how visible and pervasive criminality is here in Ireland compared to other European countries.

You can go onto done deal now and see addresses and phone numbers for puppy farmers, on full view of the public.

You can go onto done deal and see goods that are quite clearly stolen, for sale again with thief's contact information in plain view.

You can see Irish travelers pretty much do whatever they like; abuse animals, assault people, damage property etc. Again in full public view.

There is simply no enforcement whatsoever, even at a basic level. The only reason there isn't slaughter on the streets is because 99% of people are honest and decent and we are a relatively mono-cultural state.

We need to build a new state of the art prison and not be shy about filling it. Get rid of the gardaí and bring in an outside police force with support of Europol to replace it, it can gradually build and train an Irish police force from scratch.
You're wasting your time without a prison to put recidivist criminals in.

How long now since Michael McDowell paid a small fortune for land near Thornton Hall?

ellie08

Given the scum behaviour by the top brass of the AGS is it any wonder.

Disillusioned democrat

Given the scum behaviour by the top brass of the AGS is it any wonder.
Exactly why someone needs to stamp some authority on AGS.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? I believe it's reasonable to expect the government to hold the Gardai to account, but all we've seen for 24 months now is collusion, cover ups and downright insubordination even though everyone knows the system is rotten.

Letting Noirin O'Sullivan "retire" was a huge statement of intent, adding extra years to top up her pension was a sick joke. She epitomised the new brand of media savvy but ultimately corrupt Garda - she spoofed about breath tests, about penalty points, etc., but ultimately ran circles around the government so they bought her off.

I genuinely despair for the country if corruption in AGS isn't in the government's top 3 priorities.

Roll_On

The gardaí aren't credible any more. They're a public object of contempt. One only need look at crammed trams and buses queing to get through lights at Pearse St. while the Gardaí have all their cars triple parked on the street outside the cop shop. You won't see any of them out policing the streets mind, too cold this time of year. They're all inside falsifying something or plotting the demise of an honest colleague.

artfoley56

given the district judges have no jurisdiction to give poor box and no conviction, will we now see dail motions for removal on the basis of stated misbehavior?

Disillusioned democrat

given the district judges have no jurisdiction to give poor box and no conviction, will we now see dail motions for removal on the basis of stated misbehavior?
Right after they deal with senior members of AGS for deleting penalty points, I'd say.

Spirit Of Newgrange

If they can get a new police force up north surely they can get one down here
will taxpayer money pay for this. Pay for them to take on the wealthy criminal element ? wow.

Eoin Coir

some judges appointed by FF are a disgrace and are allowed serve in their own counties.

Disillusioned democrat

Looks like someone doesn't want a new one down here.
To be honest, in the absence of any real action by FG in the near future, one of the only logical conclusions is that they are very happy with the current circle jerk between politicians, the judges and the cops - an elite triumvirate protecting an inner circle - and that's a very worrying conclusion.

I remember scoffing at 90s movies about corrupt cops thinking "only in the movies" but inch by inch our own boys in blue have covered themselves in slime with, apparently, the FF and now FG governments clapping from the wings.

The citizens have a right to better and should certainly make "law and order" an election issue...if I was Paul Murphy I'd trade on my "victim" status and agitate for free water and corruption free cops.

ellie08

To be honest, in the absence of any real action by FG in the near future, one of the only logical conclusions is that they are very happy with the current circle jerk between politicians, the judges and the cops - an elite triumvirate protecting an inner circle - and that's a very worrying conclusion.

I remember scoffing at 90s movies about corrupt cops thinking "only in the movies" but inch by inch our own boys in blue have covered themselves in slime with, apparently, the FF and now FG governments clapping from the wings.

The citizens have a right to better and should certainly make "law and order" an election issue...if I was Paul Murphy I'd trade on my "victim" status and agitate for free water and corruption free cops.
And we have no decent other choice. I am a fan of the soc Dems but how many people have they in Parliament? Our so called 'left wing' have ties to too many criminals and a huge problem with bullying. They're not trustworthy either.

I would normally vote FG, but they frighten me with their disregard for homeless citizens and turning a blind eye to corruption. If FF had a make over I might be tempted, but it's the same old faces, and the taint of corruption is still there. But I'll say this much for them (in the era before the real crooks came on board), looking at them historically they did a lot for he average person, and I'll commend the party for that. And I never thought I'd ever say anything like that.

But the O Sullivan affair and their constant approval of her will see them lose my vote.

Disillusioned democrat

And we have no decent other choice. I am a fan of the soc Dems but how many people have they in Parliament? Our so called 'left wing' have ties to too many criminals and a huge problem with bullying. They're not trustworthy either.

I would normally vote FG, but they frighten me with their disregard for homeless citizens and turning a blind eye to corruption. If FF had a make over I might be tempted, but it's the same old faces, and the taint of corruption is still there. But I'll say this much for them (in the era before the real crooks came on board), looking at them historically they did a lot for he average person, and I'll commend the party for that. And I never thought I'd ever say anything like that.

But the O Sullivan affair and their constant approval of her will see them lose my vote.
It's a bizarre situation where FG have started to make FF look electable again less than a decade after they sold the country out.

Both, as you say, are equally pathetic when it comes to "law and order" and you have to assume that if there genuinely was an impartial and effective justice system many politicians from both FF and FG, along with many of their cronies, would be serving time by now.

How in the name of god did this man not have his collar felt?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies