• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Will Fine Gael rely on Lowry for support if Labour pulls out of government?

davidcameron

An election in 2015 with Labour in Opposition? - Independent.ie

The withdrawal of Labour does not mean the Government will fall; more likely, Fine Gael will continue as a minority Government for a few months with the "bribed" support of Independents, if needs be – such as their old friend Michael Lowry.
Lowry was found by the McCracken Tribunal to have been a tax evader and by the Moriarty Tribunal to have given Denis O'Brien's consortium an advantage in the mobile-phone licence contest. Surely, therefore, Enda Kenny would be committing political suicide if he relied on Lowry for support of a Fine Gael minority government if Labour pulls out.

mhagain

Don't base any predictions on what you see coming out of INM - they have their own agenda and should not be seen as either a reliable reporter or a reliable commentator.

jo9jo

At the whist drive at the weekend end I played a few hands with some very shrewd farming folk, who whould have had great confidence in this government before the property tax letters arrived this week demanding €45 for this year.

Well anyway the gentrified gentlemen told me in the strictist confidence that this government will not see the year out and it will not be Labour walking out of government.

The swallows on the telegraph wires are singing that the senior coalition party will call a snap election with the hope of securing an overall majority.

As I mentioned above I was told this in the strictest of confidence so keep it under yer hats.

wombat

Its a pretty silly OP.
FG + Dolly Mixture<>Majority

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Ya really think so Marcos ?

I'd have thought you were smarter than that.

Of course they will. It'll be nothing formal.. simply explained away by saying.. constantly.. .Deputy Lowry is entitled to vote any way he wishes... but we have no arrangement with him

However, you'll find Mick attending the Dail an awful lot more than he's currently used to

hiding behind a poster

No. General election.

Marcos the black

Ya really think so Marcos ?

I'd have thought you were smarter than that.

Of course they will. It'll be nothing formal.. simply explained away by saying.. constantly.. .Deputy Lowry is entitled to vote any way he wishes... but we have no arrangement with him

However, you'll find Mick attending the Dail an awful lot more than he's currently used to
Hrmmm... First of all I don't think Labour will pull out of govt and 2) there's enough options out there if they did that dealing with Lowry would just be silly.

Ren84

That would be INM's ultimate fantasy. Could you imagine the gleeful sneering from the cu.nts if FG had to rely on crook Lowry.

oggy

I for one would be stunned if Labour pulled out of government of if this government fell apart. FF and Greens in 2008 could easing have manufactured a reason to break up when the you know what hit the fan but they stuck it out through thick and thin to put in place measures to correct the economy. Those measures are being followed almost to the letter by present and they have a duty, as FF and Greens, did to continue measures. We can play politics all we like and I am as guilty as anyone else but behind it all I expect our politicians to put the country first no matter the pain for individual parties or politicians. Nobody parties ever faced the wrath FF and Greens did for the country and Gilmores word traitor will apply as never before to the Labour party of FG if they do not get on with the job

wishywashy

At the whist drive at the weekend end I played a few hands with some very shrewd farming folk, who whould have had great confidence in this government before the property tax letters arrived this week demanding €45 for this year.

Well anyway the gentrified gentlemen told me in the strictist confidence that this government will not see the year out and it will not be Labour walking out of government.

The swallows on the telegraph wires are singing that the senior coalition party will call a snap election with the hope of securing an overall majority.

As I mentioned above I was told this in the strictest of confidence so keep it under yer hats.

Yeah. Right.

oggy

Thats strange I had the same dream

Spanner Island

Labour won't pull out of Government because despite a few of them becoming disillusioned and fed up and throwing a few tantrums... pulling out would serve no purpose for them whatsoever...

We'd be more likely to see another self defeating split in the Irish 'left' than we would a Labour withdrawal from Government...

What Labour will do is adopt the Green policy of sticking with it until the bitter end in the hope that either they'll do something great or more likely, someone else will do something utterly stupid which will help them avoid being as hammered as they would be if they faced the electorate now...

Having said that, of course you can never say never... so if Labour do find it all too much and unpalatable and decide to walk... FG will rely on the eFFing traitors and various independents etc. to push through what needs to be pushed through...

And the eFFing traitors will indulge themselves just like before in being all pious and all things to all people and generally puke inducing with their hypocrisy...

Would Lowry be one of those FG rely on?

Well thanks to the dimwits of Tipperary Lowry is still a TD and still has a vote and therefore could well end up voting with the Government when it suits him...

I would seriously doubt however, that FG would enter any sort of 'deal' with him... unless they have a death wish or something... which I suspect they don't...

wombat

I for one would be stunned if Labour pulled out of government of if this government fell apart.
I will be surprised if Labour pull out of govt., I'm much more nervous about Reilly making a balls of the abortion law and causing a large split in FG.

Porkypie

Don't base any predictions on what you see coming out of INM - they have their own agenda and should not be seen as either a reliable reporter or a reliable commentator.
INM are coming out with some desperate journalism recently and seem to be getting away with it if the Sunday Best selling Chart is anything to go by, Newspapers record falls in circulation in second half of 2012 Eamon Ryan seems to be their blue eyed boy this week, Labour in thrall to FG on planning, says Ryan - Independent.ie It looks like the Greens wont be lending Enda or Hogan a hand. :p

CookieMonster

Their poll numbers ain't bad so a GE wouldn't be the nightmare of FG some would like to think, but I can't see them wanting the bother and expense of that so I suspect they probably would for it with a "good of the country" and "not the right time" spin.

jo9jo

The greatest political coup would be for FG to pull out of government - such cold blooded political Machiavellianism would in one fell swoop eliminate the Labour Party from the Irish political landscape.

Enda is perhaps hugely underestimated but I would not be surprised if he called Labours bluff.

hiding behind a poster

Their poll numbers ain't bad so a GE wouldn't be the nightmare of FG some would like to think, but I can't see them wanting the bother and expense of that so I suspect they probably would for it with a "good of the country" and "not the right time" spin.
But if you were to read the premise of the OP, you'd think that by doing a quick deal with Lowry, you suddenly have a solid government that can make tough decisions. You don't. You have 74 FG TDs, plus Naughton who won't be rejoining FG until after the next GE, and whose vote can't therefore be relied on. So 74 out of 165, and you'd need 83 - so another 9 Independent TDs would be required, just to give the government a theoretical majority, never mind a stable one. Hence there's no point in going through the lists of Independent TDs and guessing who might support a minority government, as 9 is just too many. It also gives control of the battleground on which the election is ultimately fought, to the Opposition - to choose a moment of maximum advantage for them, and maximum disadvantage for FG.

So if Labour pulled out of government (which they won't, despite the nonsense being posted on here), there would be a general election straightaway. And even if Labour did start getting politically antsy, that card is Kenny's trump card. If required, he'd certainly be prepared to go to the country saying "yes we've made mistakes, but we're the only party serious about getting stuck in and fixing the FF mess".

And Labour know it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies