• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Will Galway 2020 Work Out Well?

seanof

Everyone seems to be withdrawing due to budget cuts. Who is providing the funding and who is cutting that funding?

No report I've read since this started to implode has offered any explanation.

It's reminiscent of the classic rural town standoff between businesses about who pays for the electricity for the Christmas lighting on the streets.

Galway City would need to get its act together. Traffic is appalling. Public transport is useless. Reputation for geniality is wearing thin.

fifilawe

Galway is not big enough populationwise to apply for this "privilege from the EU".There is no serving airport within a short distance.The traffic congestion is "chronic due to inertia,lack of will, lack of finance" from central Govt.There are much more immediate and pressing needs for the State than supporting a Micky Mouse City of Culture spend.
why run when we cannot even walk as far as the town of Galway is concerned.?
I would like to know who the instigators for this Application were, a delusional lot full of self-opinion and self-importance.
The Volvo Round the world stopover in Galway was a non-event which yielded nothing , but I suppose ,the same "experts/delusionals" got their noses involved in this City of Culture Scam as well.

General Urko

Galway is not big enough populationwise to apply for this "privilege from the EU".There is no serving airport within a short distance.The traffic congestion is "chronic due to inertia,lack of will, lack of finance" from central Govt.There are much more immediate and pressing needs for the State than supporting a Micky Mouse City of Culture spend.
I would like to know who the instigators for this Application were, a delusional lot full of self

A glorified village in Italy had/has it!
A living shyte was made out of it when Dublin and Cork had it!

Lagertha

except cork is a proper city , galway is the most over rated city in europe , full of smug annoying liberals
It's years since I've been to Cork city, but my God it was dull and boring with the most uncomfortable bars. I wouldn't even consider it for a day trip let alone as a holiday destination.

Lagertha

I would like to know who the instigators for this Application were, a delusional lot full of self-opinion and self-importance.
The Volvo Round the world stopover in Galway was a non-event which yielded nothing , but I suppose ,the same "experts/delusionals" got their noses involved in this City of Culture Scam as well.
But...but...but Miggledy...

General Urko

Well Cork City Folk are certainly a breed apart!

Sweet Darling

A bunch of work dodging Lovies (Artists) hoping to get themselfs and their mates on to a payroll. In fighting amongst them to get at the trough is collapsing the stunt.

Last edited:

Ardillaun

Three things bother me about Galway:

1. Getting across town. Some of the older roundabouts are very small and the cars come at this geezer way too quickly.

2. Not enough trees for my taste.

3. Too much rain. Not exactly a fair criticism.

Lagertha

Philistine!:rolleyes:
I was in Galway city a couple of months ago on business and I brought my mother who wanted to do some shopping with me. I phoned her after 2 hours to let her know I was on my way back into the city so we could arrange to meet up, she was utterly relieved when we met up because she'd been so bloody bored trying to find something to kill the monotony of the 2 hours she'd randomly been wandering around.

We had lunch in a bar, I had the most atrocious fish finger sandwich thing which I left mostly uneaten because it was a salty breaded fish burger, she had an underwhelming lunch, we bought a few things in M&S and went home. I might venture back in Summer but I won't be in a hurry to do so. What I will say is that the street entertainment was lovely on an unusually glorious sunny day. Since you use the word philistine, please let me know what interesting art gallerys and museums Galway city has to offer because I have yet to find anything of interest there and my idea of a city break involves lots of time spent in art galleries and museums and enjoying architecture, great food and great wine, none of which can be found in Galway.

deepness

The most over rated city in Ireland by far. Great town to go on the p!ss for a night but thats it for me tbh,. As a city, shopping is poor, access is terrible, Salthill is a bit of a dump and apart from partying there is very little to do there,. The arty set, don't really help the place imo.

Each to their own though.

fifilawe

people always use the plural term for gallery,museum,theatre, sport stadium, amusement park etc. This is the normal thing for holiday brochures, flyers, etc.It is all BS , but once bitten , twice shy.Most people only visit a place once if they find it a letdown and don't recommend it to friends, acquaintances. this street entertaintment stuff is dead boring just some idiots painted up and wearing "outrageous gear". A dead Marcel Marceau would still shame a lot of them.I would not even bother looking at these "wasters"and certainly I'd give them nothing.

General Urko

There are a lot of talentless farty arsed middle class imbeciles involved throughout the ortz scene in Galway!

General Urko

Oops sorry, forgot to mention the Catholic cathederal ( not too bad from the outside but internally dismal) built by Eamonn Casey and American money.
Ballina and Killarney also have cathederals but neither have the pomposity to describe themselves as cities.
I'm surprised at you!

The Cathedral was built by Bishop Brown Mickey from Mayo with money extorted from ordinary Galwegians who were virtually at a moral gunpoint to contribute!:mad:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies