Will Gay be a factor?

Peppermint

I was at home today with my FF supporting parents, who have a real problem with gay people.

Now I didn't enter a discussion with them, and as they still support FF, I don't see their views as influencing the result of an FG election.
But Leo was a serious no to them.. And I mean serious.
Is it still an underlying issue with Irish society?
Could it influence a general election?

To be fair to Leo, he has never used his sexuality, in any way, but it is out there. And people like my parents will hate him for it, no matter what he does, no matter he says..

I hope my parents are just well out of touch with the real world... But I get the feeling others feel the same, while not having the balls to say it...

I think it will be a hidden undercurrent in this election.. I hope I'm wrong...

USER1234

I was at home today with my FF supporting parents, who have a real problem with gay people.

Now I didn't enter a discussion with them, and as they still support FF, I don't see their views as influencing the result of an FG election.

To be fair to Leo, he has never used his sexuality, in any way, but it is out there. And people like my parents will hate him for it, no matter what he does, no matter he says..

I hope my parents are just well out of touch with the real world... But I get the feeling others feel the same, while not having the balls to say it...

If any of the 35% who voted no on the gay marriage referendum support the party it will be a problem for them but I doubt it would be for the general public

Eoin Coir

I dont think it will be a factor, may help Vlad in the new Ireland

Dame_Enda

Sure there are a good few gay or at least biguys in Leinster House.

eoghanacht

My Money's of Coveney, Sutherland's protege.

Munnkeyman

Gay Mitchell ran in 2002 and lost to Enda Kenny. He's hardly going to make a return.

wombat

It will be a factor and the media will make it a story but I don't think it will be decisive for those voting in the election.

darkhorse

Seems to me to be quite a big plus in his favour among those who see FG capturing the liberal vote - hard to understand how or why he is doing so well otherwise
He doesn't seem to have any leadership qualities - more of a retiring kind of guy imo

Jimmy Two Times

What election? This is a leadership contest voted for by FG party members.

Peppermint

If any of the 35% who voted no on the gay marriage referendum support the party it will be a problem for them but I doubt it would be for the general public
I hope you are right, but 35% is still a big chunk of people... And Leo and his ilk need to convince this 35% that they are normal too, before they become our national front..

bogtrotter

GDPR

Well done you for trying to "have the talk".

It can be hard sometimes to lead up to the big announcement.

My advice? Don't bring up politicians of any kind.

Try this:

[video=youtube;P0K8ncFDXcg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0K8ncFDXcg[/video]

SuirView

Are you a Leo supporter?

SuirView

What election? This is a leadership contest voted for by FG party members.
Correct, nothing to do with poor "Peppermint" parents, as they are FF!
They've no vote.

Where is the story?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies