• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Will Gimore pull a Michael O'Leary?

Concerned Irishman

With Labour support in freefall, a terrified Parliamentary Party, a furious grassroots, and a Deputy Leader looking to stick the knife in - it seems the leadership of Eamon Gilmore (and with it, perhaps even the Labour Party's participation in Government) is on borrowed time and his legacy as leader will not be a good one. Given that he has a proven ability to change parties at will, has little to no problem with Fine Gael, has little to no loyalty to the principles of the Labour Party, it's grassroots, it's backbenchers or its councillors - is the possibility open that if/when he is given the boot, he may make the big switch to FG?

This is particularly relevant if the plan for the new Labour Administration is to leave Government - if pulled a Michael O'Leary, he could remain in Government as a FG minister.

Thoughts?

There I was presuming that you were talking about one of Irelands most successful businessmen and wondered what a stickie would be copying him.

Now I realise it was about Dimples O'Deary and it all becomes clear.

Given Gilmore has turned his coat so often anything is possible.

zakalwe1

O'Leary is out of Gilmore's league

Mr. Bumble

With Labour support in freefall, a terrified Parliamentary Party, a furious grassroots, and a Deputy Leader looking to stick the knife in - it seems the leadership of Eamon Gilmore (and with it, perhaps even the Labour Party's participation in Government) is on borrowed time and his legacy as leader will not be a good one. Given that he has a proven ability to change parties at will, has little to no problem with Fine Gael, has little to no loyalty to the principles of the Labour Party, it's grassroots, it's backbenchers or its councillors - is the possibility open that if/when he is given the boot, he may make the big switch to FG?

This is particularly relevant if the plan for the new Labour Administration is to leave Government - if pulled a Michael O'Leary, he could remain in Government as a FG minister.

Thoughts?

Freefall? Labour is at 13% in the Red C poll. They were at 13% in the Red C poll in May.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

[video=youtube;6kw1UVovByw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kw1UVovByw[/video]

Does Killmore drink Martini shaken not stirred, or Heineken. One thing is sure, he could afford this car:

[video=youtube;gGhTL1e8mEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGhTL1e8mEw[/video]

Oh Freefall, not Skyfall, delete delete.

Concerned Irishman

Isn't this just a rehash of the other thread on Labour's opinion poll rating in the latest Red C poll last weekend.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/labour/198962-labour-supporters-86-losing-faith-disillusioned-how-can-stop-its-free-fall.html
No, it's asking specifically whether a jump to FG from Gilbore is on the cards. And no, I'm not referring to Michael O'Leary of Ryanair, I'm referring to the Michael O'Leary that was leader of the Labour Party in the early 80's, before telling them to go feck themselves while still in that office and abandoning ship to the Blueshirts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O%27Leary_%28politician%29

Casablanca

No, it's asking specifically whether a jump to FG from Gilbore is on the cards. And no, I'm not referring to Michael O'Leary of Ryanair, I'm referring to the Michael O'Leary that was leader of the Labour Party in the early 80's, before telling them to go feck themselves while still in that office and abandoning ship to the Blueshirts.
A couple of facts. O'Leary was not still in government when he left the Labour party(the 81-82 FG/LB government having just collapsed). He was subsequently kept out of office by his former Labour colleagues in the 82-87 FG/LB government.

Another fact which, no matter how often its repeated, seems to be ignored is that Labour, at 13% in the polls is higher than it has been for most of the past 20 years, its normal performance being around 10%. So to outline the collapse as you do in the OP is, I suggest, a tad premature

Limerick Lad

Michael O'Leary (politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On what evidence are you basing this fanciful supposition that Gilmore could be contemplating such an unlikely volte face.
I know exactly who Michael O'Leary was and you have presented no evidence that Gilmore is considering following in his footsteps.

Rocky

Thoughts?
Not a chance.

By the way Gilmore hasn't changed parties at will. He split from the Workers Party with the majority of it's TDs and merged with Labour with all of Democratic Left.

callas

Thoughts?

thoughts? what are you looking for? ideas for a novel? most of your musings are imaginings. freefall? what freefall. their polls look fairly static to me. sinn fein ,on the other hand have lost a whopping 25 % of their support according to various polls since last spring. must be something to do with their lack of credibility.

Last edited:

Mr. Bumble

I wouldnt rule it out. I think Rabbitte is more likely though
Do you mean Pat Rabbite the former ITGWU national secretary? Pat Rabbite the former Workers Party and Democratic Left member? Exactly which faction in FG would be suitable for him?

hiding behind a poster

Thoughts?
No.

MacCoise2

Do you mean Pat Rabbite the former ITGWU national secretary? Pat Rabbite the former Workers Party and Democratic Left member? Exactly which faction in FG would be suitable for him?

Yeah the very one. I dont believe there are factions in FG

Rocky

Yeah the very one. I dont believe there are factions in FG
I don't think Rabbitt will join FG. But as a FGer I do like Rabbitt, think he would fit in fine in FG and obviously he works well with FG.

Gilmore is another story though.

Heligoland

He's never changed party affiliation.

The Workers Party changed name a few times and then took over the Labour Party, but it still exists.

Marvar88

Thoughts?
LOL.

I do enjoy some of the more insane rubbish on here.

jakersno

No core Labour principle, no election platform highmindedness was ever going to stop Gilmore from parking his posterior in `the car with the shtar`. And then, just to remove himself further from domestic difficulties, he takes Foreign Affairs.
This man is a disgrace to the Labour Party, and the country/government would function with far more credibility if Labour threw him under the train.