Will good trad make a comeback?

Run_to_da_hills

During the troubles we had the Wolftones, Eire Og and Charlie and the Boys composing numerous ballads about oppression from the occupied forces to help keep the spirits up.

Once again our nation is under serious attack but this time through economic treason, suppression and bullying by the Elite in Brussels.

Is it time to start composing new ballads?

Last edited:

fluffykontbiscuits

stick a trance or techno tune and mix it up with a few Uileann pipes, we'll jig our way out of a recession. Besides I thought the old ballads were only listened to by Celtic fans who drank buck fast out of paper bags?

deepness

Depending on where you live it never went away. Plenty of good trad going on in small pubs all over the place and always has been.

Wouldnt consider Wolfe Tones et al as trad, more Irish folk.

Cabbage/Turnip

During the troubles we had the Wolftones, Eire Og and Charlie and the Boys composing numerous ballads about oppression from the occupied forces to help keep the spirits up.

Once again our nation is under serious attack but this time through economic treason, suppression and bullying by the Elite in Brussels.

not being padantic but you are talking about rebel tunes which i love (SAMsong), but regarding trad the scene has never been better.... i have many friends playing around the place at the moment with different set ups incorporating didge's, djembes and also alot more influence coming over from scandanavia and mixing the two trads it sounds amazing..

personally i would love to learn sean os

fluffykontbiscuits

Have a listen to the Afro Celt sound system Cabbage doing some amazing stuff. There is an Indian group who play town sometime, they have sitars and do a range of stuff. I saw them by chance one night in town a few years back and they had a tin whistle player who was Irish and they played chilled out music.

BTW If anyone is looking for a good pub for trad music the Cobblestone in Smithfield.

CptSternn

Depending on where you live it never went away. Plenty of good trad going on in small pubs all over the place and always has been.

Wouldnt consider Wolfe Tones et al as trad, more Irish folk.
+1

Ye should check out Co. Clare - lots of trad all the time. Always has been!

Cabbage/Turnip

Listen to afro celt quite a bit a few years ago they are good... ever been to willie clancy festival? best craic to be had in ireland 7 days of good fun, good drink and great music and music classes

fluffykontbiscuits

Listen to afro celt quite a bit a few years ago they are good... ever been to willie clancy festival? best craic to be had in ireland 7 days of good fun, good drink and great music and music classes
Down in Clare? Have never been Im not a major trad fan but mates went a few years and they said it was brilliant . Actually just to add another pub, a famous one of sorts...Gus O Connors in Doolin every night they seem to have impromptu sessions!

Ask Not

Please don't use the words "good", "Wolf Tones" and "Eire Og" in the same sentence!!:roll:

If you want serious music about oppression then listen to Jackson Browne's back catalogue. No rabble rousing there, just clever, thoughtful and extremely relevant use of words and music.

If you just want to keep your spirits up, amp up Back In Black!!!!!
AC/DC ROCK.................petunia

Cabbage/Turnip

Down in Clare? Have never been Im not a major trad fan but mates went a few years and they said it was brilliant . Actually just to add another pub, a famous one of sorts...Gus O Connors in Doolin every night they seem to have impromptu sessions!
yeah its in milltown mallbay.. camp on the beach for seven days turn left your in milltown turn right and there is a great hotel with non stop music.. just dont turn up with a didge in the middle of a sesion around the old folks

Goldencircle

Trad still everywhere in alot of places

None of the folk mutations will ever be mainstream again because.

A) Most people have never actually heard it in a pub and associate it with fiddle de di nonsense.

B) It won't be on xfactor

C) You can't be sayin up the ra any more

Nordie Northsider

Will this do? You can sing it to the tune of 'The Merry Ploughboy'.

Well I am a Fianna Fáil TD and I sit on my arse all day
Till a certain thought came to my mind: that I might get more pay
Well I’ve always been against a hard day’s work since the day that I was born
So I’m off to the Euro-parliament, and I’m off tomorrow morn.

Chorus
And it’s all off to Brussels in the green, in the green
Where there’s plenty of wine and beer
And I place large amounts in expense accounts
To the echo of a few ‘hear hears’.

I’ll leave behind my constituency – I find it such a bore
All this talk of the economy – I can’t stand it any more.

Chorus

Run_to_da_hills

stick a trance or techno tune and mix it up with a few Uileann pipes, we'll jig our way out of a recession. Besides I thought the old ballads were only listened to by Celtic fans who drank buck fast out of paper bags?
Were you ever at a motorcycle rally, trad always goes down a treat,

When I mean trad I mean good music like Joe Mc Donald, Aiden Mc Anespi and Sean Sabht, not that diddle fiddle playing stuff you would hear at Ceoltas. :)

Riadach

When I mean trad I mean good music like Joe Mc Donald, Aiden Mc Anespi and Sean Sabht, not that diddle fiddle playing stuff you would hear at Ceoltas. :)
Then you don't mean trad. Balladeers are really not all that traditional.

Run_to_da_hills

Then you don't mean trad. Balladeers are really not all that traditional.
Bike rallys usually refer to them as trad bands, ie you often see posters advertising two rock and one trad band on the night. If a ceili band turned up cans would be thrown. :)

myhonorisloyalty666

ALSATION ONCE AGAIN! By Dermot Morgan.

CODA:
An Alsatian once again an Alsatian once again
And Fido who's now in Millen's will be
An Alsatian once again

SPOKEN:
Many songs are sung and written about Emmett, Pearse and Tone
But no one knows that son of Ireland who loved to chew a bone
A patriot so fearless who fought doggedly for his nation
Not a Catholic or a Protestant but a bloody big Alsatian

SING:
Way back in 1920 when the troubles were real bad
The Black and Tans were searching houses driving people mad
Many Irish men and women lent a hand to help the cause
Here's the story of a hero that lent a pair of paws

Chorus:
And it was Fido hid the hand grenade for me
When the tans came round search the house at tea
I said Fido take this eat he thought it was a tin of meat
`Twas Fido hid the hand grenade for me

The Black and Tans they search the house but not a thing was found
They looked for guns and bullets but they never checked the hound
They scorned and mocked and jeered us with their laughter and their tone
When Fido just exploded and went Phffft… around the room

Chorus:
And it was Fido hid the hand grenade for me
When the tans came round search the house at tea
The Tans said 'cuse me mate was that something your dog ate
`Twas Fido hid the hand grenade for me

The Tans went out in terror Fido saved us one and all
So we looked at him as laid there on the ceiling floor and wall
Another martyr for ould Ireland by Britannia cruelly slain
Some day up there I hope he'll be an Alsatian once again

CODA:
An Alsatian once again an Alsatian once again
And Fido who's now in Millen's will be
An Alsatian once again

Riadach

Bike rallys usually refer to them as trad bands, ie you often see posters advertising two rock and one trad band on the night. If a ceili band turned up there would be cans thrown. :)
Ceilí bands aren't necessarily trad bands either.

Trad, as long as I've known it, refers to traditional music, not ballad sessions. I don't wish to start changing the language now because a few bike rally enthusiasts find it easier to spell.

Never had much time for the ballads anyway, a man roaring into a microphone while butchering a guitar was never my cup of tea.

fluffykontbiscuits

I havent actually. My image of ballads is of RA heads but trad music Im only at the tip of Iceberg with my understanding of it! Thought bikers would have been more rockers ;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies