Will Google Streetview be used by criminals...

Dredger

....to case houses and businesses?. It is the perfect tool for them isn't it?. Criminals no longer have to go out and case their potential targets, they can do it from the comfort of their own home. A quarter of a million Germans have asked Google not to show their property.

Google says 250,000 Germans opt out of Street View | Raw Story

I will be doing the same. I think anyone who wants to protect their property should.

If I was a robber then I'd head for the streets where Google don't operate, wouldn't you?

G

Gimpanzee

Yes, a photo of someones gaff taken 18 months ago - its practically the same as handing them the keys, innit?

richie268

....to case houses and businesses?. It is the perfect tool for them isn't it?. Criminals no longer have to go out and case their potential targets, they can do it from the comfort of their own home. A quarter of a million Germans have asked Google not to show their property.

I will be doing the same. I think anyone who wants to protect their property should.
Are you making that implication that our government is corrupt[t?

Dredger

Yes, a photo of someones gaff taken 18 months ago - its practically the same as handing them the keys, innit?
No, it isn't. It does however give them the opportunity to view a target in detail from a higher angle, access entry points, blindspots and in some cases streetview even peers over fences, walls and hedges. My own back garden is visible on streetview as it has a wall running alongside the road, I consider that an invasion of privacy and a potential threat to the security of my property.

Asparagus

Maps in general are the tool of the devil. People can probably pre plan attacks on the elderly using these foul things.
Hitler used them to attack Poland.

We should ban all technology and knowledge.

Baron von Biffo

Hmmm, you're a thief and you're wandering down a road on StreetView. You see N0.1,2,3,4 all looking nice and pretty. No.5 is blocked. No6,7,8 and the rest are clear. Does it cross your mind that just maybe No.5 has something nice that they want to keep hidden?

hmmm

Yes it will be used by a small number of criminals. It will also be overwhelmingly used by well meaning individuals who consider it a fabulous resource.

JemmyR

What concerns me about this is that they can see which houses have alarms and which houses don't.
All from the comfort of their own chairs.

zippo222

What concerns me about this is that they can see which houses have alarms and which houses don't.
All from the comfort of their own chairs.
They will see the same if they walk or drive through the street. They'll even see the houses that have got alarms installed since the Google car was there.

Last edited:

PrinceMax

if so, wouldn't it make it easier for them to be caught? couldn't polices forces make a request to Google as to all the people that looked up certain areas?

niropiro

The OSI maps have been on line for years.
There's nothing stopping a criminal from cruising through a neighborhood with a decent digital camera and taking a picture of every house and returning two weeks later to hit them.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane

Really? Cos if you were going to rob a place you'd rely on a picture from a year and a half ago instead of just walking past it?

PrinceMax

it is very unlikely that it will be used by criminals, but if it is, it is more likely that they'll hit those who have opted out. If you're browsing street view, and you suddenly see a house blurred out, when none of the others on the street are, you'd wonder what they have to hide, and go check it out in more detail.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies