"Will no one rid me of this meddlesome Woman?" - Mary McAleese speaks out again

Cruimh

I'm sure some in the Vatican are thinking like poor old Henry II did about Thomas Becket

Christ reduced to ‘misogynistic’ figure by church leaders, McAleese says

Former president Mary McAleese has said she fears the Catholic Church’s hierarchy has “reduced Christ to this rather unattractive politician who is just misogynistic and homophobic and anti-abortion”.

She described Vatican opposition to women priests as “misogynist codology dressed up as theology” and criticised “the patronising platitudes that women have heard from a succession of popes and cardinals”.

Speaking at a press conference in Rome on Wednesday, Ms McAleese also said Pope Francis should visit Newry, Co Down, if he comes to Ireland next August, in the wake of clerical child sex abuse revelations there which led to the recent resignation of the Bishop of Dromore.
I've had differences of opinion with the woman from Ardoyne in the past, but cannot fault her on this - and she has more balls than most of the clergy and politicians of Ireland .....

South China Morning Post:

Former Irish president Mary McAleese denounces Catholic Church as ‘an empire of misogyny’

Last edited:

statsman

Lúidín

She was interviewed on the Alex Salmond Show on RT last week and was trully amazing, clear, reasoned, honest. She should stand for President.

Levellers

She's spot on. And not for turning.

Just like when the unionist bigots burned her out of her house in their attempt at ethnic cleansing.

owedtojoy

I'm sure some in the Vatican are thinking like poor old Henry II did about Thomas Becket

I've had differences of opinion with the woman from Ardoyne in the past, but cannot fault her on this - and she has more balls than most of the clergy and politicians of Ireland .....

Former Irish president Mary McAleese denounces Catholic Church as ‘an empire of misogyny’
TBH, I always had McAleese down as a Church Conservative.

This is a refreshing change.

One point she made was that he now quite disappointed in Pope Francis, who has not been the agency for change she hoped for.

Vega1447

If you actually *believe* all the rhubarb that she claims to (Resurrection, Virgin Birth, Assumption...) then surely accepting the "rightness" of Patriarchy should be easy?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I love it when she goes into full Maggie Thatcher Mode ..... fearless!

Will they ignore it as trying to rein her in would just make things worse PR wise .....
When were 'they' ever concerned about PR?

Destiny's Soldier

The issue that I have is that she is quoted as saying:

“homophobic and anti-abortion is not the Church of the future”.

This implies homophobia and abortion are at the same level.
Abortion is about killing people whereas Homophobia is just more about discrimination.

On the scale of things, the Catholic Church is absolutely correct.

Cruimh

The issue that I have is that she is quoted as saying:

“homophobic and anti-abortion is not the Church of the future”.

This implies homophobia and abortion are at the same level.
Abortion is about killing people whereas Homophobia is just more about discrimination.

On the scale of things, the Catholic Church is absolutely correct.
Depends where you live - people are still being killed because of their sexuality

eoghanacht

In other news, scientists have confirmed water is wet.

flavirostris

This woman is one of my bete noirs. I cannot stand her. It's one cringey, embarrassing gaffe after another with her. Why can't she just shut TF up and enjoy her ample pensions?

The one that really jars with me is the 'ring out the bells against xenophobia' where McAleese bemoaned the rising tide of anti-immigrant views across the continent and was publicising an event where a C of I vicar wanted to ring the bells of a church in Waterford I think as a protest against this rising anti-foreigner sentiment. The example comes from Scandinavia where the notoriously cucked Church of Sweden had a day of protest against the country's tiny Neo Nazi movement by ringing the bells of the cathedrals. No attempt on their part to understand why Sweden has a growing Neo Nazi movement.

It just proves that McAleese is an out-of-touch elitist fool who dosen't understand what's going on in Europe.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I think she's far better suited to her role as spokesperson for liberal Catholic Ireland than her former role as President, in which seemed to act mostly as the President of liberal Catholic Ireland rather than as president of the country.

She's right of course, except perhaps in her implication that there's any substantial difference between theology and codology.

Catalpast

Mackers is not Roman Catholic anymore

If she wants to play at being Martina Luther then that's fine

- but lets drop the pretence that she is any longer a practising Catholic....

Glenshane4

This woman is one of my bete noirs. I cannot stand her. It's one cringey, embarrassing gaffe after another with her. Why can't she just shut TF up and enjoy her ample pensions?

The one that really jars with me is the 'ring out the bells against xenophobia' where McAleese bemoaned the rising tide of anti-immigrant views across the continent and was publicising an event where a C of I vicar wanted to ring the bells of a church in Waterford I think as a protest against this rising anti-foreigner sentiment. The example comes from Scandinavia where the notoriously cucked Church of Sweden had a day of protest against the country's tiny Neo Nazi movement by ringing the bells of the cathedrals. No attempt on their part to understand why Sweden has a growing Neo Nazi movement.

It just proves that McAleese is an out-of-touch elitist fool who dosen't understand what's going on in Europe.
Immigration poses no threat to the upper middle class. It presents opportunities for cheap labour, profits for land-lords and educationalists and well-paid careers as political correctness commissars in a multi-racial country.

Support for immigration is usually an act of war by the middle-class against the working class. Tolerance for illegal immigration is always an act of war by the middle-class against the working class.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Yeah, it's her who is out of touch. Definitely not the racist, right wing, xenophobic, moron hanging around the internet with a circle jerk of fellow travellers.

Cruimh

I think she's far better suited to her role as spokesperson for liberal Catholic Ireland than her former role as President, in which seemed to act mostly as the President of liberal Catholic Ireland rather than as president of the country.

She's right of course, except perhaps in her implication that there's any substantial difference between theology and codology.
It would be interesting, though irrelevant, to know if her husband agrees with her.

She is quite Anglican in her approach to life - certainly in respect of the ordination of women. Regarding LGBT issues the Church of Ireland is split with the C of I in NI being less liberal than the C of I in the ROI. The C of I bishops still oppose abortion, full stop. Though in both cases I suspect the average parishioner on both sides of the border would be quite liberal.

New Threads

Most Replies