Will Regina Doherty resign from cabinet to back civil disobedience?

ger12

Ms Doherty is a Meath East TD and a Minister of State in her Chief Whip role.

Doherty said she will support farmers and landowners if they engage in "civil disobedience" to hamper the decision by An Bord Pleanála to give the green light to EirGrid's plans to build a new North-South electricity interconnector.

I'm surprised she's so anxious to support her constituents in this civil disobedience, after her remarks about Paul Murphy during the water charges debate. And her insistence that water charges should be paid.

Both our energy and water infrastructure are in need of great investment and action, why has she chosen to support this civil disobedience for energy and not for water?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1222/840671-regina-doherty-interconnector/

[video=youtube;RjhPl6ai1yM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjhPl6ai1yM[/video]

sic transit

She may well foreshorten her ministerial career if she does, but it depends on the nature of it. Agreeing with them is also support, manning the barricades would be a red card offence I suspect.

ger12

Franzoni

Typical Gaeler hypocrisy....nothing new there....

Same with Coveney when he was in Agriculture and the farmers mounted protests....

“The farmers are in Dublin to make sure that their voice is heard in the CAP discussion and I understand why they are doing that, because this is such an important sector to the Irish economy. They have a right to be heard.”
I have nothing against farmers protesting...i have a problem with elected politicians being selective in who they think are allowed to protest....

The whinging over on the Apollo house thread from the Gaelers about rock musicians hopping on a bandwagon...some of us are old enough to remember this...

derryman

Ms Doherty is a Meath East TD and a Minister of State in her Chief Whip role.

Doherty said she will support farmers and landowners if they engage in "civil disobedience" to hamper the decision by An Bord Pleanála to give the green light to EirGrid's plans to build a new North-South electricity interconnector.

I'm surprised she's so anxious to support her constituents in this civil disobedience, after her remarks about Paul Murphy during the water charges debate. And her insistence that water charges should be paid.

Both our energy and water infrastructure are in need of great investment and action, why has she chosen to support this civil disobedience for energy and not for water?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1222/840671-regina-doherty-interconnector/

[video=youtube;RjhPl6ai1yM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjhPl6ai1yM[/video]

Will she, ************************. This is Ireland where riding two horses is admired.

asset test

There is a Nimby culture in this Island, and it will never change.

Anyway I think the NS interconnecter project will be fraught with objections and Facebook generated demos forever.

I'd say Eirgrid have factored in a half billion here to put in underground.

Which is probably what they should have done in the first place.

But even doing that... there will still be objections.

irish dog

If the electric cables are put under ground would her rich landowner mates not get a bigger payout.

Franzoni

Will she, ************************. This is Ireland where riding two horses is admired.
In fairness though the Chief Whip is a bit like the fella in the Garda station who delivers the warrants....

They have to give them something to do they are supposed not to be able to make a bollox of....

derryman

If the electric cables are put under ground would her rich landowner mates not get a bigger payout.
I don't know but I am thinking that landowners don't necessarily have the mineral rights under their property. Simply, if the cables are below tilling level I can't see why they should get anything other than a small fee for inconvenience, even if that. But the big cost in putting it under ground will be avoiding and negotiating existing infrastructure and natural obstacles.

derryman

In fairness though the Chief Whip is a bit like the fella in the Garda station who delivers the warrants....

They have to give them something to do they are supposed not to be able to make a bollox of....
And when has making a Bollix of your post mattered in Irish politics. Just have a look at the current debacle in Stormont.

asset test

There are times like this when I am so glad I have nothing to do with Eirgrid or the landowners.

Those who do not have any reason to participate should sigh with relief.

Lúidín

I think the members of Provisional Fine Gael are to be congratulated on standing up to the Establishment and taking direct action. Ms Doherty is correct to by-pass the legal and planning system which only serves that crowd up in Leinster House.

Franzoni

I think the members of Provisional Fine Gael are to be congratulated on standing up to the Establishment and taking direct action. Ms Doherty is correct to by-pass the legal and planning system which only serves that crowd up in Leinster House.
Renua are headhunting for fresh faces at the moment....it seems they misplaced a councillor or two in the last while and have no TD's since the GE.....

Congalltee

A chief whip has to be the epitome of discipline. Her position would be untenable if she advocated anything against the law (and I've no doubt that Toibin and Cassels will help her get there)

pinemartin

The farmers are looking for cash handouts, they have gotten so use to free money that if anything is build within sight of their farms then they smell more handouts.

She is a clown, she knows it and FG know it.

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

I'm.not a fan of hers. She is pro the Swedish model and got emotional about it in recent Dail debate.

cricket

Was the Fine Gael Christmas party on last night ?

Barroso

Maybe she should just give up the whip, and run a few companies into the ground.

Or ... maybe not, maybe she should stay where she is - with any luck she'll run FFG into the ground instead!

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
typical gaeler hypocrisy....nothing new there....

Same with coveney when he was in agriculture and the farmers mounted protests....

I have nothing against farmers protesting...i have a problem with elected politicians being selective in who they think are allowed to protest....

The whinging over on the apollo house thread from the gaelers about rock musicians hopping on a bandwagon...some of us are old enough to remember this...

they should have kept garret he was a far better drummer

New Threads

Most Replies