• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Will Simon Harris be the youngest member of the new Dail?

corelli

Running for FG in Wicklow and polling extremely well, according to RTE. He is 24 years old!! Jaybus! At least his party has the Daddy of the Dail to mind him.

Joncro33

Could well do, not a FG voter nor triung to be agest but perhaps there is a need for young blood in there with different ideas, solutions ......

ShoutingIsLeadership

Could well do, not a FG voter nor triung to be agest but perhaps there is a need for young blood in there with different ideas, solutions ......
I'm not being ageist either - I hope he doesn't get in purely because he has no 'real life' experience....he's another professional politician and I just don't see what he offers which will help change this country. If he gets in, hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Having said all that, he'd be no worse than Billy Timmins, Andrew Doyle, Anne Ferris, Tom Fortune, Joe Behan, Dick Roche, etc.

Also, there appears to have been an awful lot of money put into his campaign and that doesn't sit too well with me.

smallobear

I don't want to be mean but seriously? He looks like he's wearing his dad's suit. I don't know but I like the idea of someone having some life experience before getting into any position of power or influence. Maybe it's the whole idea of career politics that doesn't sit well with me, or maybe it's just that he looks like a Transition Year student on work experience. It reminds me of a Tommy Tiernan quote re an Aistralian priest - 'You couldn't hang your coat on that, let alone your soul."

Red West

I don't want to be mean but seriously? He looks like he's wearing his dad's suit. I don't know but I like the idea of someone having some life experience before getting into any position of power or influence. Maybe it's the whole idea of career politics that doesn't sit well with me, or maybe it's just that he looks like a Transition Year student on work experience. It reminds me of a Tommy Tiernan quote re an Aistralian priest - 'You couldn't hang your coat on that, let alone your soul."
8,726 people disagree with you. Not all of them are 18 year olds taking the piss. He doesnt have a wealth of life experience, but maybe a bit of youthful idealism, and a lack of understanding what's impossible, will assist him to achieve more than might be expected.

DeputyEdo

He looks and talks like a little girl. Can't take him seriously.
And he's only ever been involved in politics...he was some senators aide or something, so not much life experience there then.
I'd have prefered for John Brady to have gotten that seat.

Nano Nagle

And he's only ever been involved in politics...he was some senators aide or something, so not much life experience there then.
I'd have prefered for John Brady to have gotten that seat.
Me too. The last thing the Dáil needs is another rich kid career politician with no experience of the world.

DeputyEdo

8,726 people disagree with you. Not all of them are 18 year olds taking the piss. He doesnt have a wealth of life experience, but maybe a bit of youthful idealism, and a lack of understanding what's impossible, will assist him to achieve more than might be expected.
how many do you reckon he'd have gotten as an indie???
I hope he'll prove me wrong and do some good stuff in there, but I'm not expecting much from him to be honest.

Thomas X Doodle

The more evil of the Milliband brothers seems to be doing quite nicely in the U.K. An earlier career as a political consultant, but will probably be Prime Minister one day.

Seriously though. Who cares if Simon Harris is 24 years of age or (allegedly) speaks like a girl. It's what he does with his time in the Dail that is important. So let's reserve judgment on the guy until he gets a chance to prove himself.

DeputyEdo

The more evil of the Milliband brothers seems to be doing quite nicely in the U.K. An earlier career as a political consultant, but will probably be Prime Minister one day.

Seriously though. Who cares if Simon Harris is 24 years of age or (allegedly) speaks like a girl. It's what he does with his time in the Dail that is important. So let's reserve judgment on the guy until he gets a chance to prove himself.
I agree on the whole, but he's had a chance to prove himself, on Wicklow council, but I don't think he's been up to much there.

corelli

I agree on the whole, but he's had a chance to prove himself, on Wicklow council, but I don't think he's been up to much there.
Well, he made Enda cry on his first day in the Dail. Not bad for his first day out.

YoungLiberal

As a general rule, I think people really ought to do something else before becoming immeresed full-time in politics (See Cowen, Coughlan et al), but, who know's, maybe he'll be great.

Nano Nagle

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I like to see real men in the Dáil not whiney little girls from the playground in Wicklow.

Thomas X Doodle

Yes, you are a little old fashioned. It has always been a Dail tradition to have a few male castrati amongst its ranks. That's why the Dail choir won the Parliamentary Choir of Europe title for three years in a row. Sometimes men without cojones can have a very real contribution to make to the Irish musical scene.

Nano Nagle

Yes, you are a little old fashioned. It has always been a Dail tradition to have a few male castrati amongst its ranks. That's why the Dail choir won the Parliamentary Choir of Europe title for three years in a row. Sometimes men without cojones can have a very real contribution to make to the Irish musical scene.
:lol:

charliegolden

What's Simon Harris's background, are his family a business family or working class, I don't get this 'rich kid' thing at all

Hooch

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I like to see real men in the Dáil not whiney little girls from the playground in Wicklow.
You're not old fashioned, you're just a vindictive moron.

I have no love for Blueshirts however I for one will be judging Simon on his performance as a politician instead of his age, looks or voice.

Nano Nagle

You're not old fashioned, you're just a vindictive moron.

I have no love for Blueshirts however I for one will be judging Simon on his performance as a politician instead of his age, looks or voice.
You're a moron if you don't think public figures are judged on their looks.

Hooch

You're a moron if you don't think public figures are judged on their looks.
The people who judge politicians on their looks are petty minded fools.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies