• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Will someone please let RTE know about the War of Independence?

Disillusioned democrat

Okay - I was very late driving to work today...bit of a night out last night...so I caught parts of radio shows I wouldn't normally. The end of MI and the start of JM (actually with KT today :D).

Anyway, a good 10 mins of BOTH shows were given over to the "news" that Kate Middleton is pregnant. Now admittedly we live in a country that has no problems of its own - the single BIGGEST issue facing our government appearing to be the tragic death of an Indian lady giving birth in one of our finest hospitals - but I still don't see how, nearly 90 years after gaining our independence the news that a foreign royal family is pregnant is should be big business on our airwaves.

Are we really a republic or are we just taking a break?

dancl2000

I look forward to 9 months of news of Kate's morning sickness. That must mean that there's nothing more important going on in the world.

Also i'm kind of an egalitarian so I hope there's equal media attention to every other woman experiencing morning sickness. Newspapers may have to expand somewhat, but if 'pregnant woman feels bad in the morning' is what we're calling newsworthy then lets be consistent about it

Bren Boru

Okay - I was very late driving to work today...bit of a night out last night...so I caught parts of radio shows I wouldn't normally. The end of MI and the start of JM (actually with KT today :D).

Anyway, a good 10 mins of BOTH shows were given over to the "news" that Kate Middleton is pregnant. Now admittedly we live in a country that has no problems of its own - the single BIGGEST issue facing our government appearing to be the tragic death of an Indian lady giving birth in one of our finest hospitals - but I still don't see how, nearly 90 years after gaining our independence the news that a foreign royal family is pregnant is should be big business on our airwaves.

Interesting because there is another thread on the site giving out about Breakfast on Newstalk devoting 10 mins to the same issue and how people were tuning back to Morning Ireland as a result.

There is a solution folks, Radio Nova.

Schomberg

sweet jesus... :roll:

Mercurial

They're our next-door neighbours and some of the biggest celebrities around. We've got all sorts of social and cultural ties to the uk, so it's understandable that it would be big news.

Riadach

There is already a thread on this and unfortunately celebrity pregnancies are news. get over it!
So you would be happy if a respected news programme such as Morning Ireland were to devote 10 minutes of their schedule to Jordan or Jodie Marsh's new baby? Those obsessed with the Royals are no different from those who immerse themselves in that odious, vacuous, superficial celebrity culture.

SeanieFitz

wait and see, even though most members will proclaim disinterest this event will be widely debated on this site.

here i am posting on it myself!

Disillusioned democrat

There is already a thread on this and unfortunately celebrity pregnancies are news, get over it!
Odd response - why should I have to "get over it" when our license fee paid national broadcaster devotes excessive time to foreign royalty pregnancy - or any other related news.

It will be genuinely interesting over the next few months to see how this plays. I sometimes wonder if deep down we "Irish" aren't a teeny bit sorry we're independent at all.

SeanieFitz

If Sabina becomes pregnant while in the Aras (careful now) i am sure it will make headlines on BBC Radio 1!

Riadach

I thought this kind of rubbish was the reason we had TV3? Exposé can do like such a like fabulous, well, exposé on Kate's totally new like baby, and telling us what's hot and totally not in foetal fashion.

Schomberg

wait and see, even though most members will proclaim disinterest this event will be widely debated on this site.
fenians are the worst for it. They hate it, yet they can't not talk about it :lol:

Little_Korean

Anyway, a good 10 mins of BOTH shows were given over to the "news" that Kate Middleton is pregnant. Now admittedly we live in a country that has no problems of its own
No problems of our own? Really?

Schomberg

It will be genuinely interesting over the next few months to see how this plays. I sometimes wonder if deep down we "Irish" aren't a teeny bit sorry we're independent at all.
It's you I'd be be worrying about. It appears your identity is so fragile that the mere mention of a celebrity pregnancy has you all worked up. Don't you have any real problems?

Riadach

I want to see twins delivered by caeserean. Let's see how they determine the line of succession then.

FrankSpeaks

There is already a thread on this and unfortunately celebrity pregnancies are news, get over it!
So you would be happy if a respected news programme such as Morning Ireland were to devote 10 minutes of their schedule to Jordan or Jodie Marsh's new baby? Those obsessed with the Royals are no different from those who immerse themselves in that odious, vacuous, superficial celebrity culture.
Read my post, I have emboldened the relevant bit for you.

Last edited:

sauntersplash

What exactly do two radio broadcasts have to do with "us" or our political status?

Riadach

Read my post, I have underlined the relevant bit for you.

My point was, they aren't. Jordan's pregnancies have never made Morning Ireland.