• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Will The Catholic Church Ever Allow Women Priests?

Why is it that there are never any discussions/debates within the Catholic Church on having women priests? With the grave shortage of vocations, and the closure of so many churches due to a lack of male priests, one would think that the only solution to this decline would be to look, at least, at the possibility of women being ordained as priests. I see no reason why only men are chosen. Yeah, I know Jesus didn't go around with 12 women apostles but that was 2000 odd years ago and things have changed a bit since then, hasn't it?

I mean, whats so wrong with women? If God made us in his own image, well, whose to say S/he is not a woman?

And lets face it, we may not have had the horror stories about paedophiles if women were the priests.

Women priests could actually halt the decline of the Church, after the initial hysteria died down, couldn't they?

Cato

Why is it that there are never any discussions/debates within the Catholic Church on having women priests? With the grave shortage of vocations, and the closure of so many churches due to a lack of male priests, one would think that the only solution to this decline would be to look, at least, at the possibility of women being ordained as priests. I see no reason why only men are chosen. Yeah, I know Jesus didn't go around with 12 women apostles but that was 2000 odd years ago and things have changed a bit since then, hasn't it?

I mean, whats so wrong with women? If God made us in his own image, well, whose to say S/he is not a woman?

And lets face it, we may not have had the horror stories about paedophiles if women were the priests.

Women priests could actually halt the decline of the Church, after the initial hysteria died down, couldn't they?
It would cause a schism, and for that reason it may never happen. The Pope's main responsibility is to ensure the unity of the church.

femmefatale

So they would rather decline than have a division? Great!

Though, I don't think allowing women priests would turn things around.
Do you underestimate the strength of character and good judgment of your female counterparts, Demotruk?

I think the Catholic Church will have women priests in about 300-400 years time.

femmefatale

It's hard not to when they are so quiet about the inferior position they hold in the institutional church.
How do you know that's the case? Just because their voices can't be heard doesn't mean they don't hold strong views about this.

FortyCoats

Yawn.

Cato

femmefatale

Ehhh... if they hold those strong views then they are being very quiet about them. Do you feel strongly about this issue?
At this time of night? Not especially. :) I do actually feel very strongly about having a greater gender balance and equal representation in the Church. The public face of the Catholic Church is exclusively male and that is wrong. Women need a profile and a say.

Glennshane

How do you know that's the case? Just because their voices can't be heard doesn't mean they don't hold strong views about this.
Unfortunately, women's voices are far too easy to hear. It says in the Bible "It would be better to live in a corner of a crowded roof top than with a brawling woman - and in a wide house".

DaBrow

The Anglican Church is in decline in Britain because so many experienced Anglicans disagreed with the idea of Women Priests..........

My Families local priest in the UK is a Canon whom was an Anglican and many others in that diocese, but interestingly a woman whom works part-time with my mum was confered earlier this year.

Women have roles in the church but not the roles which were assigned for men...........

Plus I've seen an absolute stunning girl that was an anglican vicar who spoke out against about british abortion law...... how it has no restrictions for anything e.g. an unborn child with a cleft pallet, she mentioned it because she was born with one and has lived a life without hinderence.

Beautiful woman and definitely the sort I'd love to have as my other half but seeing her with a white collar was weird...... seriously

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies