• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Will the EU allow the Irish Government to issue European Passports to Nordies post Brexit?

ruserious

If you were born on the island before 2005, Irish citizenship was guaranteed. After 2005, it depends on the status of your parents but basically if your parent is an Irish citizen, you are too.

Post Brexit, NI will be part of a non European or third country according to EU parlance.

If nationality laws do not change, we will have the situation where non European (non EU) born people will be entitled to EU citizenship by birthright. Surely that is a precedent for European nationality law?

Will Ireland be forced under pressure to restrict citizenship to the 26 or will the current situation continue?

im axeled

to me they are intitled to one, but as we all know whatever his puppet masters tell pinnochio happenes, this will have consquenses, some wrong more right ans will not be finalised overnight, it will take a highly paid commission or two before we get a muddied answer

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
If you were born on the island before 2005, Irish citizenship was guaranteed. After 2005, it depends on the status of your parents but basically if your parent is an Irish citizen, you are too.

Post Brexit, NI will be part of a non European or third country according to EU parlance.

If nationality laws do not change, we will have the situation where non European (non EU) born people will be entitled to EU citizenship by birthright. Surely that is a precedent for European nationality law?

Will Ireland be forced under pressure to restrict citizenship to the 26 or will the current situation continue?
Despite not being born in the EU or Ireland, nor ever being resident there, I know someone who was issued an Irish passport. Now for ya.

ruserious

Despite not being born in the EU or Ireland, nor ever being resident there, I know someone who was issued an Irish passport. Now for ya.
I'm talking about citizenship by birth rather than decent.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Tony Blair's children all travelled on Irish passports for security reasons while he was busy being the bentest 'pretty straight kinda guy' etc etc.

Wonder who arranged that.

Congalltee

Citizenship is one of the most basic acts of a sovereign nation: Why would the EU interfere in that?

The suggestion is up there with the nonsense about passport controls on the m1/a1 (and every boreen from there to Muff).

Another classic brainfart is that Scotland and NI could form a constitutional entity and stay in the EU.

Another is that ever closer union will be fasttracked and a united Europe is on the cards.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

I suppose the simple answer to all of this is has the EU ever challenged any member state on the basis of that member state's wacky citizenship laws, either while it was a member of the EU, or as a condition of entry?

Does anyone know that?

I have no idea if EU membership places restrictions on the citizenship laws of member nations.

The ROI has already been handing out passports to all sorts of people who were born outside the EU - people in the US and other places who qualify for citizenship. Why would people in NI suddenly be any different?

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Citizenship is one of the most basic acts of a sovereign nation: Why would the EU interfere in that?

The suggestion is up there with the nonsense about passport controls on the m1/a1 (and every boreen from there to Muff).

Another classic brainfart is that Scotland and NI could form a constitutional entity and stay in the EU.

Another is that ever closer union will be fasttracked and a united Europe is on the cards.

Why would it interfere?

Not that this is the mood currently, but suppose the EU was worried about numbers of immigrants, and all of a sudden Germany decided to grant citizenship to anyone with black skin. That could mean tens of millions of new citizens heading for Germany. Would the EU allow it?

ruserious

Guys, I've been talking about Irish passports branded with European Union as opposed to Irish passports per say. It is a possibility that Irish passports could be issued without the EU label in theory such as British passports for Hong Kong residents who still qualify as overseas nationality.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Guys, I've been talking about Irish passports branded with European Union as opposed to Irish passports per say. It is a possibility that Irish passports could be issued without the EU label in theory such as British passports for Hong Kong residents who still qualify as overseas nationality.
I thought you were talking about citizenship by birth. At least, that's what you said a few posts up. Which isn't it? Passports for non EU born/non Irish born people, or passports.

This is very confusing.

ger12

I hear some Northerners were asked for their passport today when the Enterprise got to Dundalk petunia

Sharp they are in that wee town.

darkhorse

Its not so much the Nordies we should be worried about - its half the UK population who will be looking for Irish passports and potentially jobs

ruserious

I thought you were talking about citizenship by birth. At least, that's what you said a few posts up. Which isn't it? Passports for non EU born/non Irish born people, or passports.

This is very confusing.
I have the idea in my head but finding it difficult to explain.

Basically people born in the North who qualify for an Irish passport by birthright. I am wondering whether the EU may seek to pressure the State into providing them with non EU branded passports such as those to Hong Kong British overseas residents.

D

Deleted member 17573

My understanding, and I may be wrong, was that despite what it might say on the cover, our passports are not actually European passports.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I have the idea in my head but finding it difficult to explain.

Basically people born in the North who qualify for an Irish passport by birthright. I am wondering whether the EU may seek to pressure the State into providing them with non EU branded passports such as those to Hong Kong British overseas residents.
This won't be an issue...at least it won't be one worth considering. There's a finite number of "people born in the North who qualify for an Irish passport by birthright". The pre-oh-fivers: god's own childer.

saab900

What's with all these threads about the big bad EU making life hard for the UK?

The EU has no control over who member states grant citizenship to. The Irish state grants citizenship to non-EU citizens every day of the week.

sic transit

I hear some Northerners were asked for their passport today when the Enterprise got to Dundalk petunia

Sharp they are in that wee town.
There was a whole bunch of El Paso folk on radio today about Brexit. Not a kind word from any them about it!

ruserious

What's with all these threads about the big bad EU making life hard for the UK?

The EU has no control over who member states grant citizenship to. The Irish state grants citizenship to non-EU citizens every day of the week.
Not to non EU citizens not resident in the Republic.

edit for Carlos: I mean for naturalisation purposes.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies