• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Will the Independent Group break the Commons deadlock?

Breanainn

Since the formation of the Independent Group on Monday, it appears both the Conservatives and Labour are beginning to alter their positions on Brexit, with Corbyn hinting he may back the Kyle-Wilson amendment, which would see the WA approved by the Commons, but subjected to a referendum, while Tory Remainers have more force in their arguments with May, now that a vehicle for defectors has been openly created. Will the existence of TIG see Brexit diluted almost to the point of nominalism by altering the balance of power within the Commons, and if so, does it have a post-Brexit future?

sic transit

It's a curious scenario for the HOC. In numbers they already cancel out the DUP. For now I think they can influence this Parliament but would need some form of structure and a leader to contest elections. How the public embraces them is hard to say and their ex-parties will do their damnedest to wipe them out.

Tribal

Soubry resigned in direct protest at No Deal not being taken off the table so I reckon with time running down we'll come to a situation where the WA will get voted through with Corbyn promising that if elected he'll put the future relationship to a public vote, which of course is kicking the can indefinitely down the road.

Both Tories and Labour want to get past March 29th to fend off support for UKip and then they can get back to their old class warfare ding dong on the other side.

Erudite Caveman

The hilarious thing about the independent group is that they think the UK will be crushed by behemoths, including the one it leaves behind if it leaps from the safety of the EU, so they are prepared to do whatever to stop that from happening.

And their plan is to leap from the safety of their political parties where they will undoubtedly be crushed by the political behemoths they have left behind.

It's like some bizarre political performance art.

Tribal

The hilarious thing about the independent group is that they think the UK will be crushed by behemoths, including the one it leaves behind if it leaps from the safety of the EU, so they are prepared to do whatever to stop that from happening.

And their plan is to leap from the safety of their political parties where they will undoubtedly be crushed by the political behemoths they have left behind.

It's like some bizarre political performance art.
It's about what you can live with. Yeah, I'm sure they're aware that it could have ended their careers but if No Deal happens and it's a shít show nationally they can go canvassing saying they were against it.

They've obviously judged the risk of speaking out now may be less than the risk of staying quiet about something they'd have to defend on the doorstep later.

Last weekend out on the razz in Labour heartlands I was really surprised to see "Fúck Corbyn" be as ubiquitous as "Fúck Tories" on the toilet walls. The younger voter has certainly finally accepted that he's a truer BRexiter than May could ever pretend to be.

Dame_Enda

Rumours Justine Greening will join it. She met with May a few days ago.

Ireniall

It's about what you can live with. Yeah, I'm sure they're aware that it could have ended their careers but if No Deal happens and it's a shít show nationally they can go canvassing saying they were against it.

They've obviously judged the risk of speaking out now may be less than the risk of staying quiet about something they'd have to defend on the doorstep later.

Last weekend out on the razz in Labour heartlands I was really surprised to see "Fúck Corbyn" be as ubiquitous as "Fúck Tories" on the toilet walls. The younger voter has certainly finally accepted that he's a truer BRexiter than May could ever pretend to be.
There's a lot of talk about Ukip entryists joining up in order to press for the deselection of remainer Tories at the local level which apparently has been happening with the party HQ washing their hands and allowing it to happen since the referendum. To hell with that. Why would any moderate stay around in those circumstances. The actual political system is disastrous. These head bangers could go off and form their own parties in a more normal and more representative democracy but the primacy of the big two parties which the system promotes means that they are always going to target the existing party and take over from the inside. I think that they need to introduce rules for who gets to vote in these parties in order that it is widely representative.

Alphonse

I hope they do have a post brexit future even if there main complaint is the handling of brexit I don't think that a government mostly composed of two major opposition parties who are so well established as to be completely set in there ways is a good thing. The dynamic and polarization between Tory and Labour perspectives is itself stifling and perhaps at this stage even simply outdated. It should at least be accepted that different approaches and veiws are possible instead of the never ending situation of opposition between Labour and Tory.

Dame_Enda

Pro-Israeli lobbyist David Garrard has donated to TIG. Is Israel trying to stop Brexit? The then Israeli foreign minister during the referendum said he was opposed to Brexit as Israel would lose an ally at the EU.

Electronic Intifada on Twitter:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies