Will the real FG please stand up?

SuirView

I have slagged off F.G here, but FF are not much better. S.F also have issues. I am moaning but the country is crying out for Patriots who will stand up for the Green white and Orange. Not burn or sneer at the flag.
Are you drunk?

Degeneration X

Except when they look for activists for the next GE - FG's base has traditionally been social and economic conservatives, now they're focusing on the woke liberal, urban vote, so may struggle to get the same level of support to campaign from the grass roots.

Recall the majority of the party voted for Coveney, but the weighting put on skin in the game put Varadkar in the big seat - basically it spells a party who needs to chase a new audience, but - it seems - no-one has told YFG.
Their grass roots tend to be very old and getting older from what I see locally.

Disillusioned democrat

Their grass roots tend to be very old and getting older from what I see locally.
Exactly my point - they're not in sync with their traditional base and Maria Walsh's faux outrage isn't going to play well with them.

The likes of Varadkar and now Walsh - liberal social media dependent neebies - are very far removed from the traditional base, the vacuum is being filled with the likes of Murphy, Bailey and Madigan - the less said about their ability and performance the better, so realistically there doesn't appear to be much runway ahead for the FG party unless they get their sh*t together, decide what/who they stand for and build a base.

We're fast approaching a situation where another 15 years of FF will seem like welcome relief from FG in government - it's deja vu all over again :cool:.

Dame_Enda

Its not unusual for Centre-Right parties to have a Social Conservatives within them, though its declining rapidly in the West except for Italy. Usually such people are old so this is an exception to that rule which is interesting.

tsarbomb

There's another article about this chap in today's IT. Two in a week about a non story! I hope they had fresh undies stocked for when this young FG leader attended a conference in the US...

Paddyc

YFG have always been weird.

I'm in the constituency catchment of UCD and a load of these shillls used to turn up at selection conventions and there was a bristling amongst the regulars.

FG's record on divorce referenda and other issues point to a more liberal party with a few hardened craw thumping catholics, the tension is nothing new.
Any party that could have Oliver J Flanagan, Brendan McGahon and Alice Glenn as members at the same time as Garrett Fitzgerald, Alan Dukes and Ivan Yates is not one defined by social policy.

Disillusioned democrat

I think we're seeing some serious media social engineering here - the IT's SJWs now telling the YFG President caught in the liberal woke crossfire to "shut up and listen" (sadly only available to their subscribers).

Hmmm....this has become more interesting than I thought possible....so the "media" are now marking a YFG President's cards - do as we say or face persecution.

It's evident that the IT "approves" of Maria Walsh, but "disapproves" of Killian Foley-Walsh - interesting position for the paper of record.

riker1969

FG have not been a 'right-wing conservative party' for decades except in the fevered imaginings of some on the Irish left, who see them as the stray spawn of the GOP and the Tories. Your liberal wet-dream media-savvy lesbian is a good deal nearer the mark.
Under Garret FG tilted liberal on social issues. Some. They supported divorce in 1986 unlike the hypocrites in FF under haughey. They liberalised condoms. FF only jumped on bandwagon after haughey left

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies