• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Will the tourist trade be hammered by the government crackdown on short term lettings?

Lagertha

I agree take all the real tourists, we can keep all the English stag do twats.
Don't even joke about it. I was talking to some American tourists at the bus station in Limerick recently. There's no disputing it, we are a very expensive country to holiday in.

Myler

It's because Dublin has a stranglehold on flights that I'm forced to stay in Dublin when I don't want to. I've just been looking at Ryanair, who I despise flying with and they're showing an afternoon flight which would save me a stay in Dublin at 149 for a room and whatever else for dinner and drinks but would cost me a day in Rome. Lose lose situation.
You seem to have some anger issues. If you hate both DUB and Ryanair, I doubt you'll ever find foreign travel options that suit you.

In any event, as we both know, DUB has no stranglehold on flights and, thankfully, SNN lost its stranglehold a few years ago.

Consequently, its never been easier for people to get to and from Ireland by air.

wombat

As a tourist I would expect you to consider the welfare of residents first.
I'm not sure how many high spending tourists want to use AirBnB, it seems to be popular for quick city visits by younger folk trying to save cash. The ideal tourists are those who want to spend most of their time outside Dublin although pub owners in Temple Bar would disagree.

mr_anderson

I'm not sure how many high spending tourists want to use AirBnB, it seems to be popular for quick city visits by younger folk trying to save cash. The ideal tourists are those who want to spend most of their time outside Dublin although pub owners in Temple Bar would disagree.
Families love them.
An Airbnb for Two Adults & 3 kids is far cheaper than 2 hotel rooms.
You also have full cooking facilities, allowing you to eat what you want, when you want & how you want. Much cheaper too.

wombat

Families love them.
You also have full cooking facilities, allowing you to eat what you want, when you want & how you want. Much cheaper too.
Are families high spending tourists? which was my point.

Lagertha

You seem to have some anger issues. If you hate both DUB and Ryanair, I doubt you'll ever find foreign travel options that suit you.

In any event, as we both know, DUB has no stranglehold on flights and, thankfully, SNN lost its stranglehold a few years ago.

Consequently, its never been easier for people to get to and from Ireland by air.
What an absurd post. I want to fly to Rome, there are no flights from Shannon or Cork to Rome. Most people hate traveling with Ryanair because it's an appalling airline and there's at least one story per month of Ryanair flights having nightmare situations with violent drunken passengers who've caused havoc on flights subjecting the other passengers to a flight from hell.

I've traveled extensively in Europe, perhaps you should try it, it broadens the horizons and would make a change from you creating a new sock account. Either you are a troll or you have a connection to Dublin airport that' making you so bitchy.;)

Myler

Folk so frequently condemn themselves.
there's at least one story per month of Ryanair flights having nightmare situations with violent drunken passengers who've caused havoc on flights subjecting the other passengers to a flight from hell.
Absurd? You be the judge.
Either you are a troll or you have a connection to Dublin airport that' making you so bitchy.;)
? In a context where you make wild, irrational statements?

That don't add up?

Lagertha

Families love them.
Makes rental properties a lot more expensive though. I saw a house in an area where I grew up as a child on the rental market the other day. They are nice houses, but nothing special, just ex Social Housing properties with a mixed populace now, some nice people some scum. Anyway, they want 400 a week for one month and this is for a house that would probably ordinarily be on the market for 750/800 a month. It wasn't until I saw the description of the rooms that I realised that it was Airbnb.

This is a short term let with one house but it does push up the prices and there are only about 6 properties at most on the rental market at any given time in this town. There are some weeks where there's nothing at all to be rented, not even rooms to rent. Don't even get me started on the houses bought up the Council for Africans and other bogus migrants. The hotels don't seem to be suffering though, I've got in laws coming over next month and in October and the price of hotels even in the off peak is ridiculous, but still there are only a few hotel rooms left in each hotel I've looked at for them.

mr_anderson

Makes rental properties a lot more expensive though. I saw a house in an area where I grew up as a child on the rental market the other day. They are nice houses, but nothing special, just ex Social Housing properties with a mixed populace now, some nice people some scum. Anyway, they want 400 a week for one month and this is for a house that would probably ordinarily be on the market for 750/800 a month. It wasn't until I saw the description of the rooms that I realised that it was Airbnb.

This is a short term let with one house but it does push up the prices and there are only about 6 properties at most on the rental market at any given time in this town. There are some weeks where there's nothing at all to be rented, not even rooms to rent. Don't even get me started on the houses bought up the Council for Africans and other bogus migrants. The hotels don't seem to be suffering though, I've got in laws coming over next month and in October and the price of hotels even in the off peak is ridiculous, but still there are only a few hotel rooms left in each hotel I've looked at for them.
Social Welfare pay €1,950 pm for a 2 bed in town.
So a higher rate taxpayer (who is already contributing towards that €1,950) needs to earn €46,800 just to pay the rent and compete with that.

Airbnb isn't the biggest influence by any measure.

Patslatt1

The DAA has a stranglehold on air traffic into Ireland. They have done their very best to kill Shannon airport. A third runway was not necessary for Dublin, instead more flights should have been routed via Shannon as most tourists travel from Dublin down to the Munster and Connaught regions anyway and it isn't convenient for many transatlantic passengers to have to travel via Dublin.

There's precious little to do in Dublin anyway, certainly less of an appealing mid week break destination than most EU cities, pub or feck all else. Not many museums, crap national gallery.
Dulin's superpubs are world's best, though.

Patslatt1

I was having a look at hotel prices in Dublin for a gig at the end of September and the cheapest hotel rooms in the city centre were all up at around the 200 euro mark, many were in excess of 200 just for a standard no frills room. I've had to book a hotel at Dublin airport for December because my flight is around 6am so I have to stay overnight to make the flight, the cheapest room I could find was 149 euro. It's scandalous. I've booked a 5* hotel in Rome that is costing me less for a week than 3 nights in Dublin in a bog standard hotel room. That is what will kill the tourist trade in the longer term.
Some of the numerous tower cranes over Dublin may be working on new hotels. There are still some cheap B&Bs.

Patslatt1

This is wrong, surely. Shannon passenger numbers are pretty flat for the past few years. The airport is performing poorly compared to other airports.

Its traffic halved from its peak. They've only added a coupled of hundred thousand to their numbers, and that included Kuwait Airways transit passenger who only used Shannon as a stopgap for a while because of US security concerns.
For many years,tourism has been on a trend towards short term visits of a few days and that favours Dublin.

Ardillaun

Residents depend on tourism indusry spending, increasingly important given the loss to retail shops from online buying from UK suppliers.
On balance, I’d still put the interests of renters first. And, obviously, there are a whole load of other factors to consider as well.

wombat

Residents depend on tourism indusry spending, increasingly important given the loss to retail shops from online buying from UK suppliers.
Your point was that restricting AirBnB would have a major impact on tourism but you haven't followed up on the theory.

Myler

For many years,tourism has been on a trend towards short term visits of a few days and that favours Dublin.
Dublin does have a very successful tourism product, with a lot of internationally recognised attractions. For example:

I was mostly just correcting the perception that Shannon Airport is experiencing significant passenger growth at the present, which seems to be a significant part of your contention.

Lagertha

Social Welfare pay €1,950 pm for a 2 bed in town.
So a higher rate taxpayer (who is already contributing towards that €1,950) needs to earn €46,800 just to pay the rent and compete with that.

Airbnb isn't the biggest influence by any measure.
Some of the numerous tower cranes over Dublin may be working on new hotels. There are still some cheap B&Bs.
I've always hated B&Bs, essentially you're just in someone's spare room. Don't know who they are etc etc. I've stayed in a couple over the years, many years ago, and felt I might not make it out alive. :D

Lagertha

I'm highly sceptical about the Emigration museums popularity tbqh. I didn't even know it existed and I sincerely doubt that it attracts anything like the kind of numbers that the other attractions listed do. Round the clock voting by people associated with it and trying to publicise it I wonder?

wombat

I've never visited an attraction so nobody else does either, its all fake news? :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies