• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Will the "Unionist Forum" encourage cooperation between nationalist parties? Changing the official name of Derry for example?

Éamonn an Chnoic

Will the "Unionist Forum" encourage cooperation between nationalist parties? Changing the official name of Derry for example?

What do ye think? I can understand unionists wanting to discuss the issues that affect their community! However I think this is just going serve as a tool to seperate the political division further! Obviously Sinn Féins recent calls for a border poll could also cause divisions! So this is not just a dig at unionists.

I just put in the Derry name change example because people won't shut up about it in a thread that was supposed to discuss "what if an election was called today"

Glenshane4

What do ye think? I can understand unionists wanting to discuss the issues that affect their community! However I think this is just going serve as a tool to seperate the political division further! Obviously Sinn Féins recent calls for a border poll could also cause divisions! So this is not just a dig at unionists.

I just put in the Derry name change example because people won't shut up about it in a thread that was supposed to discuss "what if an election was called today"
The Catholic parties could try a legal challenge against the 12 July being a public holiday while 15th August is not. Or they could try a legal challenge under the Human Rights Act against the Protestant churches controlling property of the State - i.e. State-owned schools.

physicist

Will the Unionist Forum encourage cooperation with not just nationalists but outside parties ... I don't know, people like Mike Nesbitt have claimed this is the next official phase in this process, at the moment I see them taking a laissez-faire attitude to the parties and the non-Unionists reciprocating. Derry name change won't be considered an option, even if Derry City Council put the Union flag up 365 days a year in exchange for it.

I can only really draw parallels with the new Ireland forum, a precursor to both Hume Adams and the Forum talks, the main priority in this case was achieving the peace process. The problem with this forum is that Peter Robinson's agenda will be the so called "normalisation process", however it does so under the banner of being at war with the Alliance Party and the nationalist parties. This is essentially a zero-sum game and perhaps an affront to liberal democracy.

Sinn Féin calling for a border poll I don't see as a divisive matter, It's not going to cause any divisions that are not already there, and indeed it may give Unionism a justification of their existance, indeed Arlene Foster eagerness to renew the vows might show that perhaps both sides are showing maturity on the issue

A border poll might make the situation better, nationalism would have to sell a positive and modern concept of Irish unity, unionism a positive and modern concept of keeping the union with Britian and the Alliance and the rest in the centreground would sell the positives of having a choice. You know rather than fighting on the basis of tribal fears and paranoias.

Evergreenfinch

The Catholic parties could try a legal challenge against the 12 July being a public holiday while 15th August is not. Or they could try a legal challenge under the Human Rights Act against the Protestant churches controlling property of the State - i.e. State-owned schools.
Protestant church owned schools? Name one.

between the bridges

the pan nationalist front already cooperate in their pursuit of the racist cultural war...

vivabrigada

physicist

the pan nationalist front already cooperate in their pursuit of the racist cultural war...

The belief that British culture is really under major threat in Ireland is rather laughable in my opinion, Irish people watch and play British sports, watch British television programs, listen to British music, study British history, read British books some even take British titles and some join the loyal orders and as a nation use the Union flag for special occasions like ceremonial visits like the visit of the Queen.

The only ones destroying British culture are those besmirching their own cultural identity by mindless violence and property damage.

between the bridges

The belief that British culture is really under major threat in Ireland is rather laughable in my opinion, Irish people watch and play British sports, watch British television programs, listen to British music, study British history, read British books some even take British titles and some join the loyal orders and as a nation use the Union flag for special occasions like ceremonial visits like the visit of the Queen.

The only ones destroying British culture are those besmirching their own cultural identity by violence and property damage.
fascist...

physicist

fascist...
A strange interpretation of my opinion, but I didn't exactly force it upon you. Perhaps the debate should be about Northern Irish culture, or Unionist culture, or even Nationalist culture ... but in my opinion the mainstream cultures of the United Kingdom, cultures which bring a lot of money into the UK are not under threat in Ireland or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Mattarigna

I think it's long overdue. Nationalists will have to set out in stone what a UI will be like, how it will function, and maybe even allow a referendum in Britain and the North on whether to rejoin after a certain time if a border poll is passed - which will pretty much guarrentee that NI will remain part of the UI, while taking away the claim that a border poll would be irreversable.

Last edited:

vivabrigada

typical oppression measures trying to drug the voice of reason...
Oh, dear, taking you angry pills today, I see
Do you have a link for your "racist cultural war"?

between the bridges;
fascist...
Does that mean I have to stop wearing my Che Guevara T-shirts?

between the bridges

A strange interpretation of my opinion, but I didn't exactly force it upon you. Perhaps the debate should be about Northern Irish culture, or Unionist culture, or even Nationalist culture ... but in my opinion the mainstream cultures of the United Kingdom, cultures which bring a lot of money into the UK are not under threat in Ireland or anywhere in Europe for that matter.
multicultural fascist...

between the bridges

Oh, dear, taking you angry pills today, I see
Do you have a link for your "racist cultural war"?

Does that mean I have to stop wearing my Che Guevara T-shirts?

no it means you should wash them an odd time...

Mattarigna

I've recently come to the conclusion that posters like him are simply impossible to reason with, especially if they are part of the OO. That's why I have him on ignore.

Global Justice

Troll under the bridge spending too much time on PULSE where 'protestant this, protestant that' is attached to each and everything, and anti-catholic bile and hate is thrown into every discussion. The hypocrisy stinks.

Are the 'pan-nationalist front' also engaging in a 'racist cultural war' on the rest of the UK who also fly your butchers apron on designated days :roll:

physicist

I've recently come to the conclusion that posters like him are simply impossible to reason with, especially if they are part of the OO. That's why I have him on ignore.
You mean the organisation which celebrates a Dutchman?

vivabrigada

Mattarigna

Also, I don't see why Unionists believe that their British identity would be taken away in a UI - Nationalists still largely identify as Irish even after over 90 years in the UK.