• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Will They Always Be The RUC To You?

neilhere

After listening to the song 'They'll Always Be The RUC To Me' by political singer-songwriter Ciaran Murphy, i wondered how others felt about this supposedly reformed police force.

Will they always be the RUC to you?

Or do you think that they have changed? Is so what real changes have occurred?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMO6GpVG_Xw]YouTube - Ciaran Murphy - They'll always be the RUC to me.[/ame]

st333ve

Theyve been caught handing files and names to loyalists, theyve handed loyalists millions in Portadown, they guard the UDA every summer while they put their flags up in the town centre - but worst of all they are absoloutly useless at their job and are considered so by both sides of the community.

I dont consider them the RUC, i consider them a pack of useless civil servants who do nothing, help no-one and get paid lots.

Ive never heard of them cathching anyone doing anything, the common opinion is that if youre attacked or robbed then you just have to deal with it because we dont actually have a police force here to tackle things, just them eejits who arnt interested in actual police work - only standing around band parades and speeding about in government cars.

Last edited:

Seánod

Crap song, bellowed out rather than sung. They are no longer the RUC to me... it's now the PSNI, but I don't support them because they are implementing foreign law on Irish soil.

Question R24U

They will always be "SS-RUC" to me (because I am a Southerner it comes as witty the first time you hear it, then less so on every other occasion but from a Northern nationalist, it would just sound bitter and stuck in the past).

Seánod

Ive never heard of them cathching anyone doing anything, the common opinion is that if youre attacked or robbed then you just have to deal with it because we dont actually have a police force here to tackle things, just them eejits who arnt interested in actual police work.
While I am politically opposed to the PSNI's existence in Ireland, I have to say I admire their professionalism in catching people involved in serious crime. They are good at it.

st333ve

Well from personal experiance they certainly are not.

When a bunch of drugged up hoods attacked me and my girlfriend who came along to catch them?

Ah the local 'p1ss in your eye', who decided to let them go and sent me a letter in the post saying there wasnt enough evidence even though witnesses gave statements and i pointed him out at the scene.
They never asked for more witnesses in the locsal paper, never checked CCTV etc.

I know of many other things, people who got their houses broken into and although the thieves used the stolen mobile phone to order taxis to and from their home the police still wouldnt do anything.

I know a protestant woman in work who's son was beaten up in a sectarian attack in an area full of cameras yet they done nothing.

I know a hoodlem scumbag who has joined the PSNI and has a picture of himself on Bebo showing off his guns with quotes from 50 cent.
If thats the kind of eejits they recruit then they wont be improving anytime soon.

I could go on all night, no-one has any faith in them.
Dont get me wrong i wish they were good at their job, it would be nice to feel safe at night but sadly theyre useless.

Reports on them have found they lack the basic necessary skills.
http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2007/08/16/story323825.asp

I see no point in even using them, they dont want to know.

Mr Crowley

The name is an irrelevance as the nature remains the same.

They are an armed, paramilitary, colonial constabulary; loyal to the British crown.

They are, as such, the enemies of the Irish people and an obstacle to peace and justice in Ireland.

st333ve

You need a police force and currently the north is in the UK.
What do you think should be used?

It would be better if people highlighted the problems with them instead of desiring the north to be the only country in Europe that isnt policed.

Glennshane

They will always be "SS-RUC" to me (because I am a Southerner it comes as witty the first time you hear it, then less so on every other occasion but from a Northern nationalist, it would just sound bitter and stuck in the past).
What is wrong with sounding bitter? I merely ask.

merle haggard

Crap song, bellowed out rather than sung. They are no longer the RUC to me... it's now the PSNI, but I don't support them because they are implementing foreign law on Irish soil.
did you run about correcting people when the UDR changed their name to RIR ??
Or when people said Long Kesh instead of the Maze Prison ?

Theyll always be the RUC to me regardless of their current initials . Wasnt a bad song either .

Seánod

did you run about correcting people when the UDR changed their name to RIR ??
Or when people said Long Kesh instead of the Maze Prison ?

Theyll always be the RUC to me regardless of their current initials . Wasnt a bad song either .
I don't tend to run around correcting people. I was merely answering the question posed in the thread, from my own point of view. It doesn't matter wan bit to me if someone calls them RUC, or PSNI... I was merely saying that for me the name PSNI is beginning to replace the older name of the RUC. The role is basically the same though.

I'd say you're easy pleased on the musical front though. Joe McDonnell is a great song. This one is drivel.

ArtyQueing

They are the RUC - once they amalgamate into an all-ireland police force then they will change, and my perception of them also

factual

They are the PSNI to me.

Held to account by Sinn Féin on the Policing Board and local District Policing Partnerships. With power shortly to be devolved to the six county Powersharing Executive - local civic policing locally accountable to democratically elected politicians in the six counties. The perfect policing service does not exist but local accountability is key and Sinn Féin have delivered on that score (while by way of contrast the SDLP totally caved in). Comparisons with the RUC are not tenable.

ArtyQueing

They are the PSNI to me.

Held to account by Sinn Féin on the Policing Board and local District Policing Partnerships. With power shortly to be devolved to the six county Powersharing Executive - local civic policing locally accountable to democratically elected politicians in the six counties. The perfect policing service does not exist but local accountability is key and Sinn Féin have delivered on that score (while by way of contrast the SDLP totally caved in). Comparisons with the RUC are not tenable.
****************************************. Pure unadulterated ****************************************. Have you ever been to a policing partnershipmeeting? It is a complete PR job from start to finish. A lot of head nodding and empathy then they just go ahead and do whatever they want. What powers have these bodies over the police? They are not even paper tigers. How many torturers and loyalist collaborators are still in the PSNI/RUC - they haven't gone away you know.

You cannot have accountability if you cannot make people account for themselves and impose penalties for failure. It is a total facade, just like so-called SF delivery. A facade for ineptitude.

Mr Crowley

You need a police force and currently the north is in the UK.
What do you think should be used?

It would be better if people highlighted the problems with them instead of desiring the north to be the only country in Europe that isnt policed.
What a stupid point you make; of course our communities need to have a policing service.

They deserve a decent one and the PSNI can never be one. They are the colonial constabulary; they have been and always will be loyal only to London or Stormont.

As such they can't be reformed.

Acceptance of the PSNI is acceptance of British rule, British law and British occupation indefinitely.

Of they are the RUC to me

Recently an RUC/PSNI employee aaron Hill was in court for passing details obtained from the RUC/PSNI database to UVF member Darren leslie Richardson, so Collousion is still happening.

10 homes raided in Ardoyne belonging to community activists including a terminally ill pensioner and a widow who's husband was killed by the RUC/UVF.

Homes raided in Newry, Craigavon, Lurgan Fermanagh and Derry.

An RUC/PSNI man in court a few weeks back for driving round a Republican housing estate in Newry with a loaded firearm, the firearm wasn't the only thing loaded cos he was drunk.

Cars lifted by the RUC/PSNI in Fermanagh.

A pregnant woman boxed in tha face in Derry

RUC/PSNI breaking Gary Donnellys arm in Derry

RUC/PSNI breaking Colin Duffy's brother arm

A car load of RUC/PSNI scum joyriding , singing sectarian songs and waving loaded guns out the car windows.

18 former RUC and Special Branch officers are at the heart of the Intelligence Unit within the so-called Historical Enquiries Team

Many Special Branch personnel have been recruited into MI5

The RUC/PSNI reels out its lawyers to obstruct progress, seeks Public Interest Immunity Certificates and refuses to hand over pertinent materials.

They choose to ignore the fact that the RUC/PSNI colludes with the Public Prosecution Service in the Six Counties to ensure that no public disclosure on collusion is made possible, through the routine dropping of charges in criminal trials when British state agents are implicated; through inquests into state killings and those where collusion was present; and through the ineffective investigations of the Historical Enquiries Team.

Plus it also came to light recently that the "PSNI" are re-employing former RUC detectives

Those are just off the top of my head, if i sat down with pen and paper i'm sure there would be quite a list.

Oh and another thing the official title of the "PSNI" is actually "the PSNI incorporating the RUC".

An easy way to put it is either RUC/PSNI or PSNI/RUC. Either way they are the same shower of bastards.

mutley

What a stupid point you make; of course our communities need to have a policing service.

They deserve a decent one and the PSNI can never be one. They are the colonial constabulary; they have been and always will be loyal only to London or Stormont.

As such they can't be reformed.

Acceptance of the PSNI is acceptance of British rule, British law and British occupation indefinitely.
what sort of Police force would be acceptable to Repblicans, with Northern Ireland as it stands today?

Seánod

what sort of Police force would be acceptable to Repblicans, with Northern Ireland as it stands today?
No matter what form the police force takes, if it is serving under Westminster law and jurisdiction in Ireland, then republicans are duty-bound to oppose it. Thinking you can be an Irish republican and support British policing, is like thinking you can be a republican and still support a monarchy.

Opposing the political legitimacy of the PSNI doesn't mean though that you are duty-bound to support every Tom, Dick and Harry who has a pop at them now and again.

mutley

No matter what form the police force takes, if it is serving under Westminster law and jurisdiction in Ireland, then republicans are duty-bound to oppose it. Thinking you can be an Irish republican and support British policing, is like thinking you can be a republican and still support a monarchy.

Opposing the political legitimacy of the PSNI doesn't mean though that you are duty-bound to support every Tom, Dick and Harry who has a pop at them now and again.
I understand all that, Maybe I should of made myself a bit clearer. We are unfortunately still part of the UK, so until such times as a united ireland becomes a reality, what acceptable legal mechanisms should be in place for nationlists who have been a vitim of a crime