• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Will you pay the 5 pence for a plastic carrier bag?

theloner

I think it's a great thing, but doesn't go far enough. It is also estimated that NI goes through 250,000,000 bags every year, quite a big number. The European Commission said plastic bags account for the majority of plastic waste polluting the marine environment. The Single Use Carrier Bags Charge Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 were approved by the Assembly in January. The levy is to to total around £2m and will be used for environmental projects. The 2 million pounds will be collected by the Department of the Environment.

Although a welcomed tax, I reckon 5p is way too cheap. I know people will think twice, but I'm not sure its big enough to put people off. I don't neccessarily want people to pay the 5p, but rather have a bag for life, reuse an old bag as I can almost see friends and relatives swiping from the Trócaire box before they head out to get the groceries. Across the border, shoppers need to fork out 22 cents per bag, this was brought in over 10 years ago and has seen a 90 per cent reduction in the use of plastic bags.

Welsh ministers have said a similar scheme in Wales cut the use of plastic bags by 95 per cent since it was introduced in 2011. England is under pressure to introduce a levy and laughably a Tory MP said it wouldn't be fair in this economic climate, Richard Benyon told MPs: “We recognise the pressures on household budgets at this time; levying even a small charge may not be the best option.” Considering the cuts being brought in by the Tories their concern for the 'less well off' is treated with the contempt it deserves. English shoppers took home 7.5 per cent more plastic bags in 2011 compared to 2010.

Northern Minister introduces new 5p carrier bag levy - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Sun, Apr 07, 2013

vivabrigada

I think we should have a beg protest.

Ren84

Quit yer whinging. We Free Staters have been paying a bag tax for years. :(

theloner

centauro

We pay too much tax already, if they want to tax bags it should be compensated for elsewhere, preferably reducing national insurance.

It's more more more of our money for politicians to spend.

vivabrigada

I was thinking about putting that into the title but then I had a moment of maturity! :lol:
Don't worry, the moment will pass.
Talkback are doing a programme on the bag tax at 12 o'clock on Radio Ulster.

DT123

Surely if you just banned plastic bags,people would very quickly get the idea.

theloner

We pay too much tax already, if they want to tax bags it should be compensated for elsewhere, preferably reducing national insurance.

It's more more more of our money for politicians to spend.
Take the 5p charge out of the equation, you an I live in a beautiful country, don't you think a reduction in plastic bags, say, in our rural areas, will be of benefit for us all?

Here's an interesting piece in the NY Times:

Frank Convery, a professor at University College Dublin and head of ENFO, Ireland's environmental information service, said: "You'd be driving in the Irish countryside and the sides of the roads were covered in plastic - when the foliage dropped off in the fall what was left on branches was a bunch of old plastic bags waving in the wind. That's gone and people love it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/world/europe/31iht-bags.4.9650382.html?pagewanted=all

centauro

Take the 5p charge out of the equation, you an I live in a beautiful country, don't you think a reduction in plastic bags, say, in our rural areas, will be of benefit for us all?

Frank Convery, a professor at University College Dublin and head of ENFO, Ireland's environmental information service, said: "You'd be driving in the Irish countryside and the sides of the roads were covered in plastic - when the foliage dropped off in the fall what was left on branches was a bunch of old plastic bags waving in the wind. That's gone and people love it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/world/europe/31iht-bags.4.9650382.html?pagewanted=all
That's grand, but they should demonstrate that any money raised will be left in the hands of taxpayers, not spent on "fact finding" jollies or mint imperials.

Ren84

Love the way the NY Times changed that from "autumn" to "the Fall".

Ren84

That's grand, but they should demonstrate that any money raised will be left in the hands of taxpayers, not spent on "fact finding" jollies or mint imperials.
I believe in our case the bag tax has gone straight into environmental programmes, and bypasses the Dept. of Finance.

theloner

Of course they are. The English though............ *drool*
I wanted to include a pic of Gorgeous George in his 'not so finest hour' in the Big Brother house, but I felt like I would be betraying him!

cillian32

God help the shop assistants in the next week!
Yeah i thought that too when they brought it in down here in 2002 .....turned out people just brought their own bags and got on with life.The citys litter problem improved a good bit over night.Give it time and see the difference it makes......Anyway some day all our plastic bags will be free again:D .....KHL