Willie Duggan RIP

Jack Walsh

Very sad news out of Kilkenny this morning that rugby legend Willie Duggan has died suddenly

BREAKING - Kilkenny and Ireland rugby legend Willie Duggan dies - Kilkenny People

One of my all time favourite sportsmen and heroes and an incredible character.

Exceptional player and probably the most naturally fearsome rugby player we have ever produced.

The stories that will be printed in the coming days will have younger people only accustomed to the boring formula of modern sport (gym, train, gym, rest, protein shakes, gym, sleep) aghast

eoghanacht

Lights out for Willie.

Jack Walsh

Ah here, I'd be as irreverent as it comes but I'd have to give you a yellow card for that.

users

Rest in Peace, some character and player.

eoghanacht

Ah here, I'd be as irreverent as it comes but I'd have to give you a yellow card for that.
I knew the man, it would have brought a wry smile across his face.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Willie a good character, from the old school of international rugby where a high level of fitness wasn't too high of their priority's :) Made the Lions in his day too. RIP.

NMunsterman

Very sad news out of Kilkenny this morning that rugby legend Willie Duggan has died suddenly

BREAKING - Kilkenny and Ireland rugby legend Willie Duggan dies - Kilkenny People

One of my all time favourite sportsmen and heroes and an incredible character.

Exceptional player and probably the most naturally fearsome rugby player we have ever produced.

The stories that will be printed in the coming days will have younger people only accustomed to the boring formula of modern sport (gym, train, gym, rest, protein shakes, gym, sleep) aghast
Willie Duggan was an exceptional player and always did Ireland proud - one of our all-time great players and great characters.

RIP Willie Duggan.

D

Deleted member 17573

There will be no closing time in the Heavenly Arms tonight when Willie and Moss get together. Sportsmen when sport, even at the highest level, was still fun.
RIP.

Mushroom

RIP

Liked to have a fag during the match I believe.
"A character of the game he was known as being a heavy smoker even during his playing days and once, when running onto the pitch ahead of a clash with France, passed the cigarette he had been holding to referee Allan Hosie."

Irish Times

General Urko

RIP!
What was that one when he was playing the Frogz and they had a ladeen called Condom and the fans had a banner 'Our Willy is bigger than your Condom!'

nationalsday

He regularly came over to my school to help out with rugby training of the Senior's on Saturday mornings - persistently puffing away at cigarettes and then immediately headed off after with cronies for proper pints

RIP to one of the old Irish greats of the 1970's

General Urko

When Duggan set an unwanted 'Nations' record - Independent.ie

When he retired from international rugby in 1984, Duggan had amassed 41 caps and played four times for the Lions on the tour to New Zealand in 1977. And if you asked him, Willie Duggan would probably tell you that in his long and distinguished career that he'd never been sent off. "Duggan always maintained he was never sent off," says Moss Keane. "He said to me the referee came towards him and said would he mind leaving the field?

"And Duggan says, 'Sure not at all. I was b******d anyway'."

automaticforthepeople

Really sad news, Willie was larger than life in many ways. There are loads of great Willie Duggan stories.
One Saturday morning a neighbour noticed Willie's car parked in the drive with the engine running, the lights on and the driver's door open. On further investigation he discovered Willie's house door was open too. He stood at the doorstep and called Willies name. When there was no response, he entered the house looking to see where Willie might be calling his name out as he went.
As there was no sign of Willie downstairs, he ventured upstairs. Eventually he found the main bedroom door open. He looked inside to see Willie lying face down on the bed snoring like a baby, the worse for wear after a heavy (training?) session the night before.

He woke Willie up and asked him if everything was OK. As Willie came around he looked at his neighbour in the bed room and then looked at the clock that read 10.45.
"Oh Jaysus" said Willie, "Is that the time? I'd better go, I've a match in Highfield".

And with that Willie got out of bed, picked up his gear bag walked down the stairs into his car and was gone, leaving his neighbour alone in the house.

By the way his cousin Ned Byrne was the second Kilkenny man to play for Ireland and also has 2 All Ireland medals.

Mick Doyle is assembling some pack up in heaven with Moss Keane and Willie Duggan, 2 huge characters.

Hillmanhunter1

RIP!
What was that one when he was playing the Frogz and they had a ladeen called Condom and the fans had a banner 'Our Willy is bigger than your Condom!'
And for a further layer of fun, Monsieur Condom was a potato merchant, from Lourdes!

bokuden

Keep the stories coming lads!

Jack Walsh

Keep the stories coming lads!
I heard one a few years ago

Ulster and Munster had really started to dominate interpros.
I think it was Ray Mc Loughlin was brought in to stop the rot
"Lads, I'm sick of being bossed, next Sat we go out on the back pitch (Lansdowne Rd) for an hour and we go hard, rucks, scrums, tackling for an hour, then we come back in, get togged out and hammer Munster.
Duggan
"Make up your mind Ray, it's one or the other"

New Threads

Most Replies