• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Willie O'Dea and that case: 10 specific questions

Congalltee

Even if Willie O'Dea did not perjure himself (though can we not leave that to the gardai, the DPP and/or a jury or even a Peter Robinson style Senior Council?), the following questions arise:

1) Why did he lie to a journalist? (he has admitted this).
2) Why did he engage in a smear campaign against a public rep (also admitted)?
3) Why when he swore his affidavit on the 14th April, did he not check the facts with the other person present?
4) Why, if he did not check the facts, did he use the words “I most categorically and emphatically deny that I said (to Mr Dwane that the plaintiff was the owner of the said apartment)"?
5) Why did not not correct the facts by the time Judge Cooke relied on that denial on the 20th April, 2009?
6) Why was the admission not mentioned in the High Court prior to the 21st December, 2009 given that it was already in the public domain?
7) Did he give an opportunity to Judge Cooke to address the point after he withdrew the affidavit (considering Judge Cooke had already relied on it in a judgment of the 20th April, 2009)?
8) When did he inform the Taoiseach and his coalition partners?
9) If the Minister's memory is so poor that on the 10th March, 2009 he makes a statement but by the 14th April, 2009 he cannot remember making it? (especially since the statement is quite racy "There was a house owned by him that was rented out and they found two ladies of the night operating in there in the last couple of weeks.”)

10) Could anyone have any confidence that Willie O'Dea could be believed on any matter in the future (eg bonds, nama, budget)?

consultant

All valid.

And should be communicated to your local opposition TDs before the Motion is heard.

TommyO'Brien

very good questions.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
9) If the Minister's memory is so poor that on the 10th March, 2009 he makes a statement but by the 14th April, 2009 he cannot remember making it? (especially since the statement is quite racy "There was a house owned by him that was rented out and they found two ladies of the night operating in there in the last couple of weeks.”)
Edit: mistaken post

Last edited:

williewatch

Don't forget, that it took O'Dea four months to correct his false affidavit. A far cry from the "immediate" correction he claimed in the Dail tonight,

Digout

They key here is, why did he not check with the journalist when swearing the affidavit.

williewatch

Scans of the affidavit here

They prove conclusively that Willie was acting as a minister in his sworn evidence to the High Court.

Makes a total mockery of O'Dea's & Cowen's statements in the Dail today.

Twitpic / theaffidavit2

Last edited:

revereie

As a partyworker, I also have serious reservations about this whole issue.

T

The_Big_Fellow

As a partyworker, I also have serious reservations about this whole issue.
On what grounds, misleading the court, abusing his ministerial position - as if it implied his word was infallible, that Cowen is backing him, the sheer stupidity of a Barrister being caught out like this. The personal attacks on the Regan's.

Serious reservations - I have serious reservations about you if that is all you can say.

eoinod

3) Why when he swore his affidavit on the 14th April, did he not check the facts with the other person present?
4) Why, if he did not check the facts, did he use the words “I most categorically and emphatically deny that I said (to Mr Dwane that the plaintiff was the owner of the said apartment)"?
It is worth noting with regards these two questions that O'Dea is a qualified barrister and is well used to legal practices. His mistake was definatley not honest.

Congalltee

Even if Willie O'Dea did not perjure himself (though can we not leave that to the gardai, the DPP and/or a jury or even a Peter Robinson style Senior Council?), the following questions arise:

1) Why did he lie to a journalist? (he has admitted this).
2) Why did he engage in a smear campaign against a public rep (also admitted)?
5) Why did not not correct the facts by the time Judge Cooke relied on that denial on the 20th April, 2009?
6) Why was the admission not mentioned in the High Court prior to the 21st December, 2009 given that it was already in the public domain?
7) Did he give an opportunity to Judge Cooke to address the point after he withdrew the affidavit (considering Judge Cooke had already relied on it in a judgment of the 20th April, 2009)?
8) When did he inform the Taoiseach and his coalition partners?

10) Could anyone have any confidence that Willie O'Dea could be believed on any matter in the future (eg bonds, nama, budget)?
How many of these have ever been satisfactorily answered?

Devil Eire

How many of these have ever been satisfactorily answered?
None of them.

Like a good FF SHYSTER, he got away with it.

The stupid people of Ireland will forget about it all, if you keep your head down for a year or two.

This is at the very heart of what it means to be a member of the FF party.

No matter how rotten and corrupt FG or Labour are, is THIS what we are going to replace them with next time round?

Are we simply to FORGET, like stupid little people?

Congalltee

Should the DPP cast a fresh eye over the affidavit, the facts and when O'Dea became aware of the fact his affidavit had "mistakes"?
Or is losing the case, losing his ministry (but holding onto his seat) and a bit of ridicule sufficient punishment?

Devil Eire

Willie O'Dea doesn't do ridicule. It is not possible to ridicule him.

If FF were back in government, Willie O'Dea would be a minister in the morning (and probably chair of the ethics committee too), so that stands for nothing either.

As for 'losing the case,' well what does that actually mean? Does he get fined? Does he go to jail? Or does he go to the papers with a stupid grin on his face, and get more self-publicity?

Unless this is addressed urgently, then every affidavit that was ever made stands for nothing, and the justice system is made a mockery of.

What is an affidavit, if it can be abused by any conman with a mind to do so?

williewatch

Should the DPP cast a fresh eye over the affidavit, the facts and when O'Dea became aware of the fact his affidavit had "mistakes"?
Or is losing the case, losing his ministry (but holding onto his seat) and a bit of ridicule sufficient punishment?
Not only that but O'Dea was trying to peddle the notion that he himself was the victim in all of this and that he had lost his job etc.

No mention though of the nice golden handshake that he received.

"Limerick City TD Willie O’Dea has taken €8,500 in “step-down” payments this year, on top of his Dáil salary of €92,000.

He claimed €54,000 in golden handshake payments in 2010 after being forced to resign as minister for defence in February 2010."

FF TDs pocket cabinet pay-offs | Irish Examiner

In Limerick at the moment we have two Fianna Fail clowns for TDs. Willie O'Dea who swears false evidence to the High Court and Niall Collins who was prepared to write a letter to a judge in a drugs case.

artfoley56

Not only that but O'Dea was trying to peddle the notion that he himself was the victim in all of this and that he had lost his job etc.

No mention though of the nice golden handshake that he received.

"Limerick City TD Willie O’Dea has taken €8,500 in “step-down” payments this year, on top of his Dáil salary of €92,000.

He claimed €54,000 in golden handshake payments in 2010 after being forced to resign as minister for defence in February 2010."

FF TDs pocket cabinet pay-offs | Irish Examiner

In Limerick at the moment we have two Fianna Fail clowns for TDs. Willie O'Dea who swears false evidence to the High Court and Niall Collins who was prepared to write a letter to a judge in a drugs case.
Dont forget the FG clown and botherer of dying women, micka noonan.

With these 3 stooges no wonder limerick is in such a jocker

oggy

None of them.

Like a good FF SHYSTER, he got away with it.

The stupid people of Ireland will forget about it all, if you keep your head down for a year or two.

This is at the very heart of what it means to be a member of the FF party.

No matter how rotten and corrupt FG or Labour are, is THIS what we are going to replace them with next time round?

Are we simply to FORGET, like stupid little people?
"No matter how rotten and corrupt FG or Labour are" sums up again for me why I am 100% of the view 99% of posters here are blinded by open hatred of FF and why I get such pleasure at taunting them. To me youse all have a form of sickness that I blame on your parents for not spotting it but then they no doubt were born with the same sickness. That sickness of course goes on and on because yis cannot come to terms with a fact of life, yes allegations of corruption have been made against FF members in the past but holy japers the records are there to prove youse make FF look like angels

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies