Willie Pearse

Leopold Bloom

Why was he the only one of the 1916 leaders to plead guilty to the charges the Brits made against him?

Bikmac

Not sure but I hear that the developers and their mates are planning on building houses on Pearse Park in Crumlin that was named after him.

stalins granny

I dont think Willie Pearse actually was one of the leaders he appears to have been picked for execution solely because he was Padraig Pearse' brother.

Leopold Bloom

stalins granny said:
I dont think Willie Pearse actually was one of the leaders he appears to have been picked for execution solely because he was Padraig Pearse' brother.
Would the Brits have executed him then if he hadn't pleaded guilty? Is it the case then that, like his big brother, he yearned for martyrdom?

If so, what a wacky family!

stalins granny said:
Pádraig Pearse had two brothers so if that was Wille's crime then the third Pearse should have been executed also.

Willie didn't help his case by pleading guilty to;

" ... taking part in an armed rebellion and in the waging of war against His Majesty the King, such act being of such a nature as to be calculated to be prejudicial to the Defence of the Realm and being done with the intention and for the purpose of assisting the enemy."

Maybe, he had the courage of his convictions. Maybe he felt that it was ridiculous lying considering that he had been caught in the act. Maybe they were wacky but so too were the millions of soldiers who ran into machine-gun fire across land that was a quagmire. That`s a war that you said in one threat, MJ Coughlan that you wore the red poppy in oder to commemorate. You can`t expect people to respect your dead if you don`t respect others.

Leopold was it your birthday recently and somebody who didn`t know you very well gave you a book on 1916?

Leopold Bloom

Despite his guilty plea which is often perceived as a desire to accept the same fate as his brother, Willie insisted that he "had no authority or say in the arrangements for the starting of the rebellion. I was throughout - only a personal attache to my brother P.H. Pearse. I had no direct command."
This suggests he was somewhat conflicted about the whole thing and that his death wish wasn't quite so strong as that of his big brother. Ultimately, however, I blame the mammy.

Leopold Bloom said:
If so, what a wacky family!
You've a SF avatar and you refer to the Pearses as wacky. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

anmajornarthainig said:
...That`s a war that you said in one threat, MJ Coughlan that you wore the red poppy in oder to commemorate. You can`t expect people to respect your dead if you don`t respect others.
I would say that the men and women who died in the Easter Rising and those who died in WW1 are all OUR dead.

fergalr

Willie, while he didn't exactly have special needs, he was a bit slow, wasn't he?

Leopold Bloom

Stealth Assassin said:
Pádraig Pearse had two brothers so if that was Wille's crime then the third Pearse should have been executed also.
Really? Who was the third brother?

jjacollins

He pleaded guilty because he was proud as any irishman at the time would have been to have given Britain a bloody lip.

The others only pleaded innocent because they didn't agree with the context and terms of the charge.

stealth assassin,

It depends on what you mean by "our dead". If you mean by them being Irishmen, then, yes they are our dead. In this case, however, I was talking about Imperialist V Anti-Imperialist. MJ Coughlan being the former, if he wears the red poppy because there is the non-militarist, non-imperialist alternative white poppy, and myself who would be anti-Imperialist. I don`t deny anybody the right to mourn their dead. I don`t dispute the bravery, integrity, decency of individual members of the British or any other Army. I do however disagree with their decision to fight in an Imperialist Army. They fought for a project to which I am resolutely opposed and as a result I don`t regard them as "my dead". Just as I`m sure many people of the opposite persuasion don`t regard members of the United Irishmen or the IRA or the Fenians as their dead because they would disapprove of their political agenda.

It was an interesting point you raised, and if I read you correctly, a generous point you raised.

anmajornarthainig said:
stealth assassin,

It depends on what you mean by "our dead". .
I think that all Irish people should be as proud of those who fought in WW1 as those who fought in the Easter Rising. And that their motives and politics should be left aside at this late stage.

Leopold Bloom said:
Really? Who was the third brother?
I don't know. Came across a reference to a third brother today when I was looking up Padraig and Willie but I can't find it now. It did say that the Pearses were sons of a second marriage so maybe he was a step-brother. You'd think he'd have been active in Irish public life otherwise.

This site says that James and Margaret Pearse had four children. Patrick, William and Margaret were three so maybe the fourth was the mysterious (half?) brother.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/patrick_pearse.htm

Leopold Bloom

merle haggard said:
Willie Pearse was not a rebel leader , he played no leadership role whatsoever . Im praying some kindly moderator will just ban this Bloom troll .
That's actually incorrect: his rank in the volunteers was captain. That makes him officer class.

But, Merle, you fail to address the question in the index post: why do you imagine he pleaded guilty to the charges laid against him by the British when all the others refused to do so?

Fiona_L

Website
sinnfeiner.blogspot.com
Leopold Bloom said:
[quote="merle haggard":3vhvu1ca]Willie Pearse was not a rebel leader , he played no leadership role whatsoever . Im praying some kindly moderator will just ban this Bloom troll .
That's actually incorrect: his rank in the volunteers was captain. That makes him officer class.

But, Merle, you fail to address the question in the index post: why do you imagine he pleaded guilty to the charges laid against him by the British when all the others refused to do so?[/quote:3vhvu1ca]

I don't know, but your reasoning that "This suggests he was somewhat conflicted about the whole thing and that his death wish wasn't quite so strong as that of his big brother." made me laugh. A lot. How you jumped to that conclusion, I don't even care to know.

I guess, if you really want to know the answer, you're just going to have to die. Then, if there is a heaven, you'll have to hope someone is merciful and let's you in.

Meh, give up now, you'll never know.

starryplough

Willie was Pádraigs only brother and they had two sisters one of whom completed and subsequently published Padraigs diary. Wille, like his brother and sisters was not slow but it would be true to say that they were more than a tad eccentric. They were not born of a second marriage that I am aware of. From most accounts of Pádraig Pearse I have read, which are quite a few, it is said that Wille and Pádraig were very close in terms of their personalities, creativity and general shyness around other people. It is possible that Willie followed his brother into the Easter Rising because they had done everything together all their lives. there is certainly nothing in Willies writings to suggest anything even close to Pádraigs ideas on blood sacrifice.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies