• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Wind Farm Guidelines under review, Public Consultation open for just two weeks

He3

It seems that the Department of Environment is quietly recognising the detrimental impact of wind turbine noise and shadow flicker on wind farm neighbours. Advertisements appeared in national media yesterday, 30 Jan, seeking submissions to the review of the current guidelines, with noise (setback distances) and shadow flicker identified as the focus of the review.

While, legislation setting mandatory setback distances between homes and turbines is the optimal solution, to the problem, at least recognition of the issue in guidelines might save future communities. Closing date for submissions is 15 Feb.
This deserves a thread of its own.

Just two weeks for the public input seems very short.

The text of the notice is on the Dept site:

Public Consultations
Wind Energy Guidelines Focussed Review - Public Consultation

The Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government in conjunction with the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources–intends to undertake a technical update of the guidance on noise (including separation distance) and shadow flicker in the Wind Energy Development Guidelines 2006.

This update is intended to ensure that the Wind Energy Guidelines are supported by a robust and up to date evidence base on these issues to support wind energy development in a manner which safeguards residential amenity consistent with EU and National Policy.

Comments are invited on these aspects of the Guidelines only before February 15th, 2013. Submissions on other matters will not be considered at this time. The updated Guidelines will be issued as soon as possible thereafter, taking into account the views expressed during the public consultation process.

Submissions in relation to the Guidelines may be made to:

Miriam Tiernan
Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government
Custom House
Dublin 1
Tel: 01 888 2000
e-mail: miriam.tiernan@environ.ie

The Wind Energy Development Guidelines 2006 (doc, kb)

This was interesting yesterday reported from England:

Wind turbine collapses in gales

And last year in Scotland this unforgettable scene - Google Image Result for http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02079/turbine-new_2079144i.jpg

Last edited:

He3

He3

Troubling.

Wisconsin Towns Association calls for moratorium on construction of new wind turbines : Wsj

'A group of government leaders wants to halt the spread of huge wind farms around the state.

The Wisconsin Towns Association voted Monday to adopt a resolution calling on the state of Wisconsin and the Public Service Commission to enact a moratorium on the construction of industrial wind turbines "until further studies are done, solutions are found and the state's wind siting rule is modified."

The towns association cited a Dec. 28 report to the PSC by four consulting firms that found noise from the Shirley Wind Farm in Denmark, may be affecting some neighboring farms. The report recommended more testing and research.'

He3

He3,

I am sure that you won't mind if we correct any BS posted in your thread :lol:
Nothing controversial so far Pat. Have a good weekend.

Falco

I see Eamon Ryan was batting for the wind lobby again late last week on newstalk. He objected to the bill going through the Senate at the moment which sought a 1.5km set back for housing and other sensitive areas from Turbine development. Highlights how we need a proper "Ecology" party in this country as opposed to the type of corporate greenwash we get from a party that has clearly lost its way and ceased to be relevant when it comes to protecting the Irish Environment and quality of life

Bobcolebrooke

I see Eamon Ryan was batting for the wind lobby again late last week on newstalk. He objected to the bill going through the Senate at the moment which sought a 1.5km set back for housing and other sensitive areas from Turbine development. Highlights how we need a proper "Ecology" party in this country as opposed to the type of corporate greenwash we get from a party that has clearly lost its way and ceased to be relevant when it comes to protecting the Irish Environment and quality of life
1.5 meters is not a lot

Mushroom

Leinster12

I struggle to see why he and his party get airtime. They are a complete and utter irrelevance with no mandate.
There's probably Facebook pages with more members than the Irish Green Party nowadays ;)

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
Well Pat didn't realise you were more than one individual.
:lol:

Decadence,

Perhaps it was a freudian slip revealing that I was secretly hoping for a good samaritan to share the load :cry:

If the truth be known there's barely enough of me left at this stage to even qualify as one person under the trade descriptions act but at least the surgeons left me with a sense of humour and a BS detector :p

Off topic but on a more serious note, what did you think of the high courts reasons to reject David Hall's promissory note case and its possible implications in other matters.

He3

Good time to pen a note to the Masters of Wind.

joe sod

Out of curiosity I wonder what the minimum distance between turbine and residential property is in Britain. Surely the height of the turbine must be taken into account before deciding minimum set back. There is huge difference between a 50m turbine and a 120m turbine. Another point I wonder why the brits have not considered putting them in Northern Ireland, it would be a lot simpler to administer as it is the same country.

Decadance

Off topic but on a more serious note, what did you think of the high courts reasons to reject David Hall's promissory note case and its possible implications in other matters.
I haven't read the Hall judgment - not too sure if it is available yet. But I think the court has an 'out of time' argument which might have the same result. From my sources it doesn't matter (might just delay things) as there are a number of planning applications - 2 in Donegal (Corkermore and Newmills, I think) - which have Aarhus submissions made with a view to taking a court action in future - applicants will have locus standi.

Leipziger

A lot of environmentalists wouldn't even agree with that bill. It would render only 5% of the country suitable for windfarms. The same 5% that has tremendous potential for environmental restoration and ecotourism. These are Ireland's most wild landscapes. All that would be lost with 600ft wind turbines. Surely the push for 'environmentally friendly' energy shouldn't come at the expense of this enviroment. I would rather see turbines in so-so agricultural landscapes of the east.

Trainwreck

A lot of environmentalists wouldn't even agree with that bill. It would render only 5% of the country suitable for windfarms. The same 5% that has tremendous potential for environmental restoration and ecotourism. These are Ireland's most wild landscapes. All that would be lost with 600ft wind turbines. Surely the push for 'environmentally friendly' energy shouldn't come at the expense of this enviroment. I would rather see turbines in so-so agricultural landscapes of the east.
What you have struck on is that "greens" and even the Greens are not environmentalists. True environmentalists have universally been ejected from the movements they helped create to appreciate and protect the environment.

Ryan is no environmentalist.

rash mulligan

What you have struck on is that "greens" and even the Greens are not environmentalists. True environmentalists have universally been ejected from the movements they helped create to appreciate and protect the environment.

Ryan is no environmentalist.
No he's a sales rep for turbine manufacturers.

Glenties.WiG

Website
www.gwig.net
Twitter
@Glenties_WiG
Review of Wind Energy Noise Guidelines Welcomed

Donegal Post Article - Page 9 - Wednesday 6 February 2013

The Glenties Windfarm Information Group has cautiously welcomed the public call for submissions as part of the review of the Wind Energy Guidelines (2006). The review is focused upon creating adequate safeguards to mitigate against the negative impact of noise and shadow-flicker from windfarms on neighbouring properties and homes.

Noise and shadow-flicker major issues
Spokesperson for the Glenties group, Mr. Ernan O’Donnell advised that “noise and shadow-flicker are issues of particular concern to our members and formed a significant element of our submissions to the Straboy oral hearing last October. The expert evidence of Dr. Christopher Hanning, on noise and health and Mr. Dick Bowdler, on noise assessment provided at that time clearly demonstrate the failings of the current guidelines to protect public health and underline the inability of local authorities, including Donegal County Council, to adequately assess the noise impacts of windfarm developments.”

Larger turbines now encroaching on built up areas
These issues are compounded by the increasing size of turbines and the encroachment of proposed windfarm developments closer to residential areas. Mr. O’Donnell pointed to the recent Donegal County Council decision to grant permission for sixteen, almost 500ft (152m) turbines at Newmills, outside Letterkenny as such an example. Our group is being contacted, almost daily, by new windfarm neighbours seeking our support on how to effectively appeal against such decisions, he confirmed.

Lessons learned
The Glenties group also point to the incredible decision of Donegal County Council to eliminate the 500m setback distance between individual turbines and homes in the revised, Donegal County Development Plan - 2012-18. This decision was taken at a council meeting, in June 2012, following a proposal from Cllr. Terence Slowey, and despite almost half of the public submissions received on the revised plan requesting that a 2km setback be adopted in line with international best practice.

Mr. O’Donnell advised that the group have learned lessons from that process and are currently preparing their submission but he did raise concerns regarding the short time-frame for the acceptance of submissions by the Department, which closes on 15 February 2013.

He3

Window closes this Friday.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies