• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.
  • Politics.ie will be closed to new posting in Two (2) Minutes! while the forum software is updated. This should only take a couple of minutes. Please finish any posts in progress.

Wind Turbines: The end is nigh?

sic transit

You stated that the primary reason for high energy prices in Ireland is down to "overpaid employees" in ESB.

You have yet to show me (or anyone else) how exactly you arrived at that.
I also mentioned fuel costs a few posts later. Average ESB salary is €85K, over twice the industrial average of €41K. Kind of obvious there's a impact on electricity costs when covering the salaries of 7000 employees.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com

IfOnly

People are complain about the noise from wind turbines, i have been a couple of times within a couple of hundred feet away from a wind turbine, any time i was there i never heard any noise from it. People will get used to the noise, for many years we had a lot of crows used to nest in trees beside our house, people would come to our house and say to us how can we stand the noise of the crows. We would tell them that we had got used to them and dont pay heed to them anymore.
Could you state what monitory benefit you get from wind farms. Did you sell land to a developer by any chance.

Hans Von Horn

The Economic arguments should not obscure the Health reasons for not building wind turbines within 1500 metres of homes.

The Danes are demonstrating the viability of cheap off shore wind power.

Horns Rev 3 Winner - Vattenfall @

News : Danish Wind Industry Association

The Chinese have brought in Offshore wind at under $0.08/kWh

That said an intermittent renewable cannot compete with a storable renewable or a base load renewable like geothermal electricity.

There are extraordinary advances in technology taking place. Onshore wind simply is not environmentally acceptable in Ireland unless we start dehousing people.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
The Economic arguments should not obscure the Health reasons for not building wind turbines within 1500 metres of homes.

That said an intermittent renewable cannot compete with a storable renewable or a base load renewable like geothermal electricity.

There are extraordinary advances in technology taking place. Onshore wind simply is not environmentally acceptable in Ireland unless we start dehousing people.
8c per kWh is amazing, but....

It isn't scalable, yet. The biggest issue, currently, with wind is that we as a species are rushing headlong into it.

Ren84

What "health reasons"?

Hans Von Horn

Hans Von Horn

Hans Von Horn

Turbinator

My point was that the graph in your link proves nothing, certainly doesn't prove a link between high wind energy production and high electricity prices. Can you add any actual proof to this assertion?

I can only conclude 2 things from the above statement 1) you can't read graphs and 2) you didn't read my second link

Hans Von Horn

Its worth ding the numbers on wind power

Ireland uses about 13,000,000 ktoe (kilo tonne of oil equivalent)of energy each year.

IkToe = 11630kWh

Hence we use 151,190,000,000kwh of energy each year

A 3MW turbine operating at 30% capacity factor would produce 7889400kWh per year but not when we would want it so it would have to be stored at some loss of efficiency and huge cost.

151,190,000,000/7889400 =19 163 turbines

Where would they fit?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Bladeless Wind Turbines don't produce much power. Power output is a function of Swept Area x Wind speed³ x air density x0.5 x efficiency
Didn't really say I agreed with them...but don't let that stop you. How's about address the scalability of those Chinese offshore 8¢ per kWh jobs you were heralding earlier?

Turbinator

Like others. I am still waiting to see links to prove that our costs are as a direct result of wind power. Most recent increases were down to the rise in carbon fuel prices. So you'll take ones you like and use anything else to avoid the ones you don't? How much biomass does it take to run a decent sized power station and secondly who'd get it past the NIMBYs?
Natural Gas prices have dropped sharply over the last 3 years while coal prices are in a long term slump. Yet Irish power prices rose 5% in 2014 alone when wholesale gas prices dropped nearly 30%. Peat and coal burning power stations can be converted to biomass so there is no NIMBY issue. They are already doing this in the UK and given the enormous land bank of both Bord Na Mona and Coillte there is huge potential for sustainable biomass production with use of fast growing species like willow and birch.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies