Winter approaches. The Summer solstice is nigh.

asset test

After all this very warm weather of the last few days, we are now entering the second cycle.

Nights will get shorter, and Autumn/Winter is going to creep up on us. :lol:

But no matter. August is the holiday month for many.

Do any of you care?

I don't really, as the shortening of the evenings to me is not really noticeable until late September or thereabouts and doesn't really kick in until the clocks go back end of October. I am the eternal optimist.

Then light reappears mid January and creeps up with longer days. So our Winter is very short really.

I actually like Autumn and Winter. Silly me.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
After all this very warm weather of the last few days, we are now entering the second cycle.

Do any of you care?

I don't really, as the shortening of the evenings to me is not really noticeable until late September or thereabouts and doesn't really kick in until the clocks go back end of October. I am the eternal optimist.

Then light reappears mid January and creeps up with longer days. So our Winter is very short really.

Wha-?

mangaire2

Do any of you care?

"shortening of the evenings" commence tomorrow,
but the good news is that Summer is really June, July & August.

The Field Marshal

Already a slight hint of frost in my own back garden this evening.

gatsbygirl20

Jesus, Asset.....you're like those oul' wans in my youth who, looking out at a beautiful hot mid-summer's day, would sigh "Ah, sure the days will be shortening now, and we won't feel the nights drawing in"

Let us savour the moment. The twilight was so long and wonderful this evening that I was out dead-heading my roses at 9.45.

Down the West, where I was born, the evening light would still be glorious--stealing across the fields and lighting the western horizon at 11 o'clock.....

Forget the bloomin' winter and autumn. They'll be upon us soon enough

GDPR

Nonsense, since BREXIT and Trump its an entirely new paradigm.

You cant trust the polls.

FunkyBoogaloo

Do any of you care?

I care. The last throes of the light half of the year (Autumn) is my favourite time of the year.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I keep an eye on the solstices much more than the calendar itself. Feel quite pleased when we hit the winter solstice as I like the ancient thought of going into the light from there.

Always a bit regretful to have passed the summer solstice although where I live is a place that is spectacular in the autumn. Lots of mature and elderly trees and when they do turn colour in the autumn they look like ladies in spectacular ball-gowns from the 18th century at the edges of a hunt ball.

I'll have a glass of wine this evening in the garden and spill a little on the grass as a libation:)

Marcos the black

But in a mere 6 months the days will be getting longer again. It's almost as if there's some cycle to it... I know it sounds crazy, but it's as if we're just going around in circles..

Erudite Caveman

Like the Op I find the summer solstices a little disconcerting. Like a host at a party that is just getting going announcing that taxis are booked to take people home in a few hours. Buzz wrecker. The idea of winter and the dark evenings always seems worse at at this time of the year than it is when I get there.

GDPR

Summer this week is too hot. I look forward to the thunderstorms which will give a little coolness tomorrow so the forecasters say.

Mad as Fish

What puzzles me is how the ancient folk ever worked out where the sun was actually rising on midsummer's day in Ireland. There is a site not a million miles from here which aligns with the dawn on this day and I have often thought that I'd like to see it happen at least once in my life, but there is never a clear sky forecast for the appointed hour so I have never bothered going. Must be this climate change thingie I guess, or aliens, or maybe they just pretend it aligns knowing full well that nobody will ever be able to check.

Mad as Fish

I keep an eye on the solstices much more than the calendar itself. Feel quite pleased when we hit the winter solstice as I like the ancient thought of going into the light from there.

Always a bit regretful to have passed the summer solstice although where I live is a place that is spectacular in the autumn. Lots of mature and elderly trees and when they do turn colour in the autumn they look like ladies in spectacular ball-gowns from the 18th century at the edges of a hunt ball.

I'll have a glass of wine this evening in the garden and spill a little on the grass as a libation:)
Should you not slay your fattest ox as well?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies