Woman murders defenceless child and commits suicide.

RodShaft

Last edited:

Niall996

Where does it say the child was defenceless?

RodShaft

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
What has the phrase 'well respected' got to do with anything? Mental illness can strike at anyone regardless of social standing.

And to answer the question about how these things seem to be more common now it is probably because such events were under-reported in the past or not reported in the media at all.

Given that we now have despite a 24/7 barrage of media (much of the news contained within making a grim reading of our world) and people in an atomised and surprisingly isolating society more vulnerable now than ever if they are at all sensitive in my opinion. Add that cultural background to a specific unhappiness in a life and you have the seed of a potential tragedy.

The thing of a parent taking a child is possibly a mixture of not wanting to leave a child behind and the psychological bond of a parent for a child being unable to separate the child as a person from themselves.

It is noticeable that such suicide-killings always involved children who are dependent rather than those who have separated from the family as near adults or adults.

Last edited:

RodShaft

What has the phrase 'well respected' got to do with anything? Mental illness can strike at anyone regardless of social standing.

And to answer the question about how these things seem to be more common now it is probably because such events were under-reported in the past or not reported at all.
Do we know this is because of mental illness yet?

You believe murders were not being reported in the past?

Supra

Deaths of Sinéad Higgins and son indicate murder-suicide - police

This is unfolding into a tragic case. This woman was apparently well respected.

These murder suicides seem to be becoming a common thing. I certainly don't remember much of this stuff happening in my youth.

What the hell is going on?
I don't think we can count on our youthful memories. Not only that but I don't think we can count on historical stats regarding suicide. Suicide was seen as a very different thing in my youth.

RodShaft

I don't think we can count on our youthful memories. Not only that but I don't think we can count on historical stats regarding suicide. Suicide was seen as a very different thing in my youth.
But this is a murder, seemingly. Not just an individual committing suicide.

RodShaft

It doesn't mention the word defenceless at all.
I'll remind you of that very retarded approach next time you want to talk about some other defenceless victim.

A child was murdered it seems. That child was seven. You must not know any seven year olds if you think they have any defence against an adult family member.

RodShaft

Yes, but I have a hunch that there may be a connection. Your title adds to my hunch.
Of course there is a connection. I don't believe that cases like this in the past would not be reported on.

niall78

Deaths of Sinéad Higgins and son indicate murder-suicide - police

This is unfolding into a tragic case. This woman was apparently well respected.

These murder suicides seem to be becoming a common thing. I certainly don't remember much of this stuff happening in my youth.

Child murder was very common in the past. Try reading your local paper from the 18th and 19th Centenary and you'll find it littered with court cases and convictions for 'infanticide'. Was there ever a golden age where horrific occurrences weren't visited on unlucky children? I can't think of any although in today's Ireland children are probably safer than they have ever been. Hopefully things continue to improve.

In any case if a person has a profound mental breakdown and decides to kill themselves and their kids there's little anyone can do to prevent the crime. Attacking the perpetrator after the event achieves little in my opinion.

Supra

Of course there is a connection. Do you believe that cases like this in the past would not be reported on? Because that's just ridiculous.
No not at all. If course they were reported on. Maybe not to the extent that they were point of discussion on internet forum or on the cover of a magazine or even subject to an eerie documentary with a scary voice over.

I have another hunch, that you do know what i'm saying but are just being black and white in black and white because you can.

There are reports that in the past in this Country some families of suicide victims hid the fact that it was suicide. That attitude in itself alters my confidence in historical suicide related Irish history.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Do we know this is because of mental illness yet?

You believe murders were not being reported in the past?
It cannot be an indicator of mental good health can it? An event like this? I am certain that certain tragic cases involving upsetting circumstances were not reported or at least in detail in the past.

At one time deaths from cirrhosis of the liver were deliberately played down and featured in mortality statistics as 'liver disease' rather than cirrhosis.

When this latter changed because of new rules on reporting mortality stats it appeared in the 1980s as if there had been a sudden jump in deaths attributable to cirrhosis- which meant the anti-alcohol campaigners running around in circles claiming a sudden epidemic when in fact it was previously under-reported.

Niall996

I'll remind you of that very retarded approach next time you want to talk about some other defenceless victim.

A child was murdered it seems. That child was seven. You must not know any seven year olds if you think they have any defence against an adult family member.
No moron. The point is that is absolutely bleeding obvious that a seven year old is defenceless. Why add it to the title of the thread? That's the point.

silverharp

No moron. The point is that is absolutely bleeding obvious that a seven year old is defenceless. Why add it to the title of the thread? That's the point.
give it a rest

trustno1

This thread is a fine example as to why P.ie has gone to ************************e.... and I'm not referring to the OP. Niall996......you pedantic dip************************.

PeaceGoalie

Religion is being undermined and all kinds of clowns are attacking it to undermine society. This mother and child are but the latest victims of their campaign. These people did not get so much traction in your youth but now their nihilism permeates society.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies