• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Women assaulted after crossing through parade

British Citizen

I've seen this happen a few times during marches through Belfast city centre.

Spides in Celtic tops will attempt to walk through the middle of a band in order to try and provoke a reaction - they know rightly you can't cross until the parade has finished.

Sounds more like this woman just didn't know. Based on past form I would warn everyone to take Sinn Fein statements with a pinch of salt. What they claim to true and what actually is true can sometimes be miles apart....

Sync

If she's been assaulted then she should certainly make a complaint. Scumbag criminals who assault 60 year old women shouldn't be tolerated. No way the PSNI should meet with the councillor though to discuss it.

TrueBlue84

I've seen this happen a few times during marches through Belfast city centre.

Spides in Celtic tops will attempt to walk through the middle of a band in order to try and provoke a reaction - they know rightly you can't cross until the parade has finished.

Sounds more like this woman just didn't know. Based on past form I would warn everyone to take Sinn Fein statements with a pinch of salt. What they claim to true and what actually is true can sometimes be miles apart....
You can cross between lodges as there is usually a decent gap, or you wait til there is a gap. So if she has waited for a gap how could one of the marchers (or three in this case) have grabbed her?

picador

BBC News - SF councillor claims woman assaulted at Ballymena march

Shocking if true especially as the Royal Black are some of the most moderate of marchers
Fair play for posting something which doesn't necessarily sit comfortably with your own political outlook.

I have never understood this thing whereby some members the loyal order go nuts if someone crosses the road in front of them. Fair enough if someone tries to go through the men walking in file but if there is a gap between lodges what is the problem? Life doesn't stop because there is an orange parade. People need to cross roads.

I remember years ago a mate of mine being confronted by Orangemen with swords as he tried to cross Clifton St. Lucky for him the peelers were on hand to pull him out of the way.

centauro

Fair play for posting something which doesn't necessarily sit comfortably with your own political outlook.

I have never understood this thing whereby some members the loyal order go nuts if someone crosses the road in front of them. Fair enough if someone tries to go through the men walking in file but if there is a gap between lodges what is the problem? Life doesn't stop because there is an orange parade. People need to cross roads.
+1

oboe

Is this the same organisation that marched in Newcastle?

That large parade through a mainly Catholic town passed off without incident. Good news rarely makes headlines I suppose

Sync

Is this the same organisation that marched in Newcastle?

That large parade through a mainly Catholic town passed off without incident. Good news rarely makes headlines I suppose
It's like every story from the North unfortunately, a tiny minority of morons from both sides end up casting a shadow over the law abiding citizens.

British Citizen

picador

It's like every story from the North unfortunately, a tiny minority of morons from both sides end up casting a shadow over the law abiding citizens.
It is newsworthy though. Who hell are these people to decide who can cross the road?

It's imperative that the police don't turn a blind eye to this type of traditional behaviour.

British Citizen

It is newsworthy though. Who hell are these people to decide who can cross the road?

It's imperative that the police don't turn a blind eye to this type of traditional behaviour.
Would she walk out in front of a bus?

The marchers are legally using the road.

picador

Would she walk out in front of a bus?

The marchers are legally using the road.
If a bus driver deiberately ran someone over he would be prosecuted.

and it's not a road - it's a Queen's Highway!

British Citizen

If a bus driver deiberately ran someone over he would be prosecuted.

and it's not a road - it's a Queen's Highway!
I don't believe hundreds of marchers trampled over her....

British Citizen

If a bus driver punched a pedestrian would be charged with assault?
Probably.

Though if you want someone charged with assault it's probably best to let the police deal with the incident - instead of a terrorist cheerleader......