Women chess players required to wear hijab at WWCC in Iran next year.

former wesleyan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2016/10/05/the-american-chess-champion-challenging-irans-hijab-fetish/?utm_term=.ef70fe9ab642

So. Should they boycott the event like Nazi Paikidze-Barnes or note the wonderful choice of colourful scarves available, like Susan Polgar ?

Paikidze’s protest is a welcome departure from politicians, journalists, nonprofit leaders and fashion designers who express, for lack of a better word, a hijab fetish, which romanticizes and normalizes the hijab. Indeed, hijab fetishists are like pawns for the clerics, blinded to the fact that the hijab is a symbol of sexism, misogyny and purity culture.
journalist Hala Arafa, an Egyptian American, has analyzed, “hijab” or a derivative of the word appears only eight times in the Koran and never in reference to head covering.
The authors are Iranian women btw. Not Islamophobes .

GDPR

gerhard dengler

Glad that Faye wasn't forced to wear one

[video=youtube;oVp9v9kCXE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVp9v9kCXE8[/video]

EUrJokingMeRight

But you only lose if the king is check mated. But the queen can fall and the rest of the board is like 'OK things are a little trickier now but we still have the king so....whatevs'!

Clearly chess is a sexist game. And racist too. White moves first!

SJWs who are just learning of this archaic pastime are mobilising from their outrage centres as we speak.

A bishop, knight and pawn combo will thwart their feeble advance.

silverharp

the cultural appropriation loons made Amazon and a few others stop selling these, they could push the envelope a bit :D

O

Oscurito

But you only lose if the king is check mated. But the queen can fall and the rest of the board is like 'OK things are a little trickier now but we still have the king so....whatevs'!

Clearly chess is a sexist game. And racist too. White moves first!

SJWs who are just learning of this archaic pastime are mobilising from their outrage centres as we speak.

A bishop, knight and pawn combo will thwart their feeble advance.
In the Islamic version, the king is the one with the most power and bishops are called Imams.

EUrJokingMeRight

In the Islamic version, the king is the one with the most power and bishops are called Imams.
In the Irish version the two bishops are behind the castles taking liberties with the pawns whilst the queen and king argue about the colour combination of the carpet.

EUrJokingMeRight

the cultural appropriation loons made Amazon and a few others stop selling these, they could push the envelope a bit :D

Should be a mandatory bumper sticker.

EUrJokingMeRight

Also the glittery stuff should be gold as the muslim lads aren't allowed wear gold.

O

Oscurito

In the Irish version the two bishops are behind the castles taking liberties with the pawns whilst the queen and king argue about the colour combination of the carpet.
....and the pawns end up paying for the carpet while the king and queen both retire on huge pensions.

GDPR

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2016/10/05/the-american-chess-champion-challenging-irans-hijab-fetish/?utm_term=.ef70fe9ab642

So. Should they boycott the event like Nazi Paikidze-Barnes or note the wonderful choice of colourful scarves available, like Susan Polgar ?

The authors are Iranian women btw. Not Islamophobes .
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I have no problem with this, and I advise the Muslims and Jews who are in Europe to obey European customs.

EUrJokingMeRight

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I have no problem with this, and I advise the Muslims and Jews who are in Europe to obey European customs.
Europe had customs but the EU has none.

PC Principle

I was in Turkey last week and saw an amazing looking set in a shop window.....Characters were Crusaders versus you know who, looked like ninjas. It seemed very pro Christian to me, the chess set I mean. Still wouldn't let the Turks in though.

Would have bought it but was getting back on a cruise ship and couldn't be bothered with the haggle.

Beautiful looking set though.

Clanrickard

PC Principle

Boycott. Why WWCC decided on Iran is beyond me.
Brainwashing through sport imo.

Like football going to Qatar. WTF. Probably dirty money involved there too.

GDPR

Boycott. Why WWCC decided on Iran is beyond me.

Many things are beyond you, such as the fact that chess is an Aryan game that was first played in India and Iran, and which spread to Europe, via the Arabs, from Iran.

O

Oscurito

I was in Turkey last week and saw an amazing looking set in a shop window.....Characters were Crusaders versus you know who, looked like ninjas. It seemed very pro Christian to me, the chess set I mean. Still wouldn't let the Turks in though.

Would have bought it but was getting back on a cruise ship and couldn't be bothered with the haggle.

Beautiful looking set though.
It's the haggle that does my head in. There's no need to make me tea and tear down the whole shop to show me stuff. Just let me pay for the one thing I want and I'll go.

Felixness

I don't see why the western women can't wear a hat, if the Iranians insist on them covering their hair, although I really don't see why they should be forced to accommodate Islamic customs. Really, organisers of events in the western world need to stop holding events in Muslim countries, it's just asking for trouble. In the west we accept the wearing of hijabs but Muslim countries aren't as accommodating of western ways.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies