Women's March 2017

ger12

“The Women’s March on Washington will send a bold message to our new government on their first day in office, and to the world that women’s rights are human rights,” organisers have said. Today's "Women’s March on Washington” aims to draw 200,000 people to the US capital.

It is estimated that around 300 similar marches – including the Dublin event – are set to take place across the world today. The march here was organised and supported by the Abortion Rights Campaign, Amnesty International Ireland, European Network Against Racism, ROSA & The Coalition to Repeal the 8th.

However, it's not without controversy, last week the New York Times reported that some white women were being made to feel unwelcome at the march by demands that they "check their privilege" and "listen more and talk less" when non-white women speak about the unique burdens they face as members of not just one but of two or more oppressed groups.

March organizers also now say their "platform is pro-choice" so an "error" was made in inviting the pro-life group to be a partner.

Damon Linker writing in This Weeks explains that "In a democracy, successful political movements go broad. They are ecumenical, seeking to bring as many people as possible into an inclusive coalition, because that's how elections are won and mandates are forged, and because they understand that politics involves compromise and building bridges of partial agreement and commonality with those who disagree on some important issues but not on others." He went on to suggest that march organizers and their allies aren't pursuing their political self-interest. They're acting like ideological commissars.

It's such a pity that the march has been marred with fighting about race, excluding pro life feminists, it reeks of intolerance, unfortunate as this years march was to protest Presidents Tumps intolerance.

Why is the Women's March excluding pro-life women?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us/womens-march-on-washington-opens-contentious-dialogues-about-race.html?_r=1
Women's March hits the streets of Dublin as protests planned around the world

GDPR

It's such a pity that the march has been marred with fighting about race, excluding pro life feminists, it reeks of intolerance, unfortunate as this years march was to protest Presidents Tumps intolerance.
Did you expect something else?

They're "intolerant" of an election result FFS!

stopdoingstuff

The left eat each other. It always happens. It turns into a victim competition and becomes balkanized very quickly. On the other hand I have seen some of those feminists and they do look like a walk would do them good.

D

Deleted member 17573

“The Women’s March on Washington will send a bold message to our new government on their first day in office, and to the world that women’s rights are human rights,” organisers have said. Today's "Women’s March on Washington” aims to draw 200,000 people to the US capital.

It is estimated that around 300 similar marches – including the Dublin event – are set to take place across the world today. The march here was organised and supported by the Abortion Rights Campaign, Amnesty International Ireland, European Network Against Racism, ROSA & The Coalition to Repeal the 8th.

However, it's not without controversy, last week the New York Times reported that some white women were being made to feel unwelcome at the march by demands that they "check their privilege" and "listen more and talk less" when non-white women speak about the unique burdens they face as members of not just one but of two or more oppressed groups.

March organizers also now say their "platform is pro-choice" so an "error" was made in inviting the pro-life group to be a partner.

Damon Linker writing in This Weeks explains that "In a democracy, successful political movements go broad. They are ecumenical, seeking to bring as many people as possible into an inclusive coalition, because that's how elections are won and mandates are forged, and because they understand that politics involves compromise and building bridges of partial agreement and commonality with those who disagree on some important issues but not on others." He went on to suggest that march organizers and their allies aren't pursuing their political self-interest. They're acting like ideological commissars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us/womens-march-on-washington-opens-contentious-dialogues-about-race.html?_r=1
Did you, as a pro-life feminist, not encounter the very same rejection right here in our own little community?

tigerben

Would you be bothered
is all I say . All this liberal , luvvie , my feelings are worth more than your feelings ,empowered and Blah blah blah. Liberals are only liberal when it goes their way Same as feminists , they could give lessons to dictators on how to act when it all goes against them .

ger12

Did you expect something else?

They're "intolerant" of an election result FFS!
Women from every race, political affiliation and country were offended by now President Trumps remarks. TBH, I'd have thought there would be room for all women.

ruserious

So long as we can have a Men's April, I don't mind.

ger12

The left eat each other. It always happens. It turns into a victim competition and becomes balkanized very quickly. On the other hand I have seen some of those feminists and they do look like a walk would do them good.
Republican women have in recent weeks voiced support of this march. Although I'm not sure how welcome they'd be today.

Betson

Women from every race, political affiliation and country were offended by now President Trumps remarks. TBH, I'd have thought there would be room for all women.
As usual with most female orientated groups it becomes the victim Olympics with each trying to outdo each other in the oppression stakes, and this leads to animosity we are seeing now.

silverharp

Hi #WomensMarch,

Here's Iran's embassy. Their gov't has arrested women for "INSTAGRAM PHOTOS".

Do something useful.

Sincerely,
everyone

stopdoingstuff

Republican women have in recent weeks voiced support of this march. Although I'm not sure how welcome they'd be today.
These things are always controlled by people who are exclusionary in nature. There is a them and an us.

fat finger

The main challenge today is spot the daft banner message.
Daftest so far is NASTY WOMEN LOVE BAD HOMBRES.
I mean, WTF??!!

StarryPlough01

AN EXAMPLE OF IRELAND'S PRO LIFE CODE OF ETHICS FOR NURSES IN ACTION-

I often think of Praveen Halappanavar thanking the midwife for her honesty. She told his wife Savita that she could not have a termination because Ireland is a "Catholic country".

Savita Halappanavar's husband Praveen thanks midwife for honesty in inquest over making 'Catholic' remark - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Earlier this week Ms Burke apologised for having made the remarks to Ms Halappanavar and a friend Mrudula Vasealli on Tuesday, October 23, while they were talking about the reason behind the refusal to give her a termination.

She said she had since regretted the remarks, but stressed she had never meant them in "a hurtful context".

I hope that distressed midwife has found some comfort and peace.
We hear a lot about the physician's Hippocratic Oath "First, do no harm,' but we don't often hear about the nurses' Code of Ethics (International Council of NURSES) … in A CHANGING SOCIETY. Nurses are meant to actively campaign against torture, executions … as being inhumane, for example, if you are a nurse in Burma. They are meant to help victims of torture, recovering from torture, etc.

Code of Ethics for Nurses

The ICN Code of Ethics for Nurses has four principal elements that outline the standards of ethical conduct.

ELEMENTS OF THE CODE

1 Nurses and people

The nurse’s primary professional responsibility is to people requiring nursing care.

In providing care, the nurse promotes an environment in which the human rights, values, customs and spiritual beliefs of the individual, family and community are respected.

The nurse ensures that the individual receives accurate, sufficient and timely information in a culturally appropriate
manner on which to base consent for care and related treatment.

The nurse holds in confidence personal information and uses judgement in sharing this information.

The nurse shares with society the responsibility for initiating and supporting action to meet the health and social needs of the public, in particular those of vulnerable populations.

The nurse advocates for equity and social justice in resource allocation, access to health care and other social and economic services.

The nurse demonstrates professional values such as respectfulness, responsiveness, compassion, trustworthiness
and integrity.

2 Nurses and practice

The nurse carries personal responsibility and accountability for nursing practice, and for maintaining competence by continual learning.

The nurse maintains a standard of personal health such that the ability to provide care is not compromised.

The nurse uses judgement regarding individual competence when accepting and delegating responsibility.

The nurse at all times maintains standards of personal conduct which reflect well on the profession and enhance its image and public confidence.

The nurse, in providing care, ensures that use of technology and scientific advances are compatible with the safety, dignity and rights of people.

The nurse strives to foster and maintain a practice culture promoting ethical behaviour and open dialogue.

3 Nurses and the profession

The nurse assumes the major role in determining and implementing acceptable standards of clinical nursing practice,
management, research and education.

The nurse is active in developing a core of research-based professional knowledge that supports evidence-based practice.

The nurse is active in developing and sustaining a core of professional values.

The nurse, acting through the professional organisation, participates in creating a positive practice environment and
maintaining safe, equitable social and economic working conditions in nursing.

The nurse practices to sustain and protect the natural environment and is aware of its consequences on health.

The nurse contributes to an ethical organisational environment and challenges unethical practices and settings

4 Nurses and co-workers

The nurse sustains a collaborative and respectful relationship with co-workers in nursing and other fields.

The nurse takes appropriate action to safeguard individuals, families and communities when their health is endangered
by a co-worker or any other person

The nurse takes appropriate action to support and guide co-workers to advance ethical conduct.

SUGGESTIONS FOR USE

of the ICN Code of Ethics for Nurses

The ICN Code of Ethics for Nurses is a guide for action based on social values and needs. It will have meaning only as a
living document if applied to the realities of nursing and health care in a changing society

To achieve its purpose the Code must be understood, internalised and used by nurses in all aspects of their work. It must be available to students and nurses throughout their study and work lives.

An example

Practitioners and Managers

Provide care that respects human rights and is sensitive to the values, customs and beliefs of people.

Provide continuing education in ethical issues.

Provide sufficient information to permit informed consent to nursing and/or medical care, and the right to choose or refuse treatment.

….

Educators and Researchers

In curriculum include references to human rights, equity, justice, solidarity as the basis for access to care.

Provide teaching and learning opportunities for ethical issues and decision making.

*****Provide teaching/learning opportunities related to informed consent, privacy and confidentiality, beneficence and maleficence. Introduce into curriculum concepts of professional values.*****

Sensitise students to the importance of social action in current concerns

National Nurses Associations

…..

Savita Halappanavar's husband Praveen thanks midwife for honesty in inquest over making 'Catholic' remark - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Praveen: "It's very difficult. I've seen it all. The way she (Savita) was treated was horrendous, so it just gives some comfort that the truth is coming out," he added.
Final hours of Savita

Speaking outside the inquest into her death, Mr Halappanavar expressed surprise and said he was “extremely grateful” to Ms Burke for telling the inquest she had used the term “Catholic country” and “Catholic thing” to his wife Savita when explaining why she could not have a termination.

“We never expected that. We thought she would deny it,” he said. "I was moved when she said that [she had used the "Catholic country" term]. I was relieved."

He said following the denial by consultant Dr Katherine Astbury that she had used the term “Catholic country” that he thought Ms Burke would too. He remains adamant Dr Astbury did use the term.

“She said that to us on day one, on Monday morning. There was another midwife there at the time but I just cannot remember her name. I wish I could remember her name. There were just so many people during that week.”

Asked whether he forgave the remark, he said "I do".

Thank you also from myself (Starry) to midwife Ann Maria Burke.

My heart goes out to Praveen and his family in their devastating loss.

*****REFER ALSO TO MS Y CASE.*****

As Mahatma Gandhi said “Even if you are a minority of one, the Truth is the Truth.”

Last edited:

Telstar 62

Has 'free blow jobs if you vote Hillary' Madonna turned up yet
to explain why Trump's a sleazebag?:rolleyes:

Emily Davison

What a joke of a post Ger. Trying to set the narrative on this. Like you don't think we can see that.

The 80,000 in London and half a million in Washington tells the lie on your angle, and anger.

The BBC is reporting that one of the main issues at the London rally is abortion rights for women from Ireland and Northern Ireland. And you can't stand it. Hence your biased post.

I am woman hear me roar.

Clanrickard

constitutionus

imagine if clinton won and there was a mens march to protest her????
Ah but THAT'd be sexist !

:D

gotta say as i posted in the other thread when the march passed my job today it looked well attended to me and didnt seem to have the divisiveness of the american one.

i'll wait till the end of the day to sus the pics to see how it went though as i dont trust the press to cover this rationally.

New Threads

Most Replies