Wop FA manages to upset FIFA over racism

Beachcomber

An interesting story - FIFA is taking the Italian football authorities to task (and may discipline them) over their treatment of a black footballer who was sent off by the match referee after leaving the field claiming he was racially abused during a Serie A game. This was followed by a ban for one game for being sent off. The ban was eventually reversed.

Is this yet another case of the authorities talking the talk, but not walking the walk when it comes to actual incidents of racism? They have all sorts of campaigns during which they say all the right things, but when they actually face an incident of racism, they either downplay it, or punish the victim.

Sulley Muntari: Italian FA may be disciplined by Fifa over handling of racism claims - BBC Sport

Betson

An interesting story - FIFA is taking the Italian football authorities to task (and may discipline them) over their treatment of a black footballer who was sent off by the match referee after leaving the field claiming he was racially abused during a Serie A game. This was followed by a ban for one game for being sent off. The ban was eventually reversed.

Is this yet another case of the authorities talking the talk, but not walking the walk when it comes to actual incidents of racism? They have all sorts of campaigns during which they say all the right things, but when they actually face an incident of racism, they either downplay it, or punish the victim.

Sulley Muntari: Italian FA may be disciplined by Fifa over handling of racism claims - BBC Sport
Regardless of what was said to him be it racist , bigoted etc etc , a player cannot take the law into his own hands and approach members of the crowd. Could lead to all sorts of Trouble boiling over. So the ref was right to book him on the day and there was justification in giving him a match ban. There should be protocols in place for such incidents , but players approaching the crowd should certainly not be part of them.

johnnypockets

Regardless of what was said to him be it racist , bigoted etc etc , a player cannot take the law into his own hands and approach members of the crowd. Could lead to all sorts of Trouble boiling over. So the ref was right to book him on the day and there was justification in giving him a match ban. There should be protocols in place for such incidents , but players approaching the crowd should certainly not be part of them.
Which I would agree with if they were proactive in punishing the offenders in the crowd. Were they?

Betson

Which I would agree with if they were proactive in punishing the offenders in the crowd. Were they?
I don't know , there certainly should have been. But still no justification for player to get involved with the crowd. Nothing happened here but another day with the wrong crowd it could cause a riot.

I am sure many players have dreamed of doing an Eric Cantona and sorting out pr!cks in the crowd, but it cannot be condoned not matter what the reason.

Mickeymac

FIFA, over the years have been all over park with this subject of racism/sectarianism within soccer, it amazes many today why for example teams like Linfield/Rangers and the NI pub team are allowed to participate in soccer competitions.

johnnypockets

I don't know , there certainly should have been. But still no justification for player to get involved with the crowd. Nothing happened here but another day with the wrong crowd it could cause a riot.

I am sure many players have dreamed of doing an Eric Cantona and sorting out pr!cks in the crowd, but it cannot be condoned not matter what the reason.

As I say, I agree as long as the offenders in the crowd are held accountable as well. I don't think they were in this case. No one should have to put up with racism.

Did he approach members of the crowd. From what I read he walked off the pitch?

eoghanacht

Wop FA.

.....that's not bigoted anyway

Beachcomber

Rubbish.

"Approach members of the crowd"? Do you mean the ones who are shouting racist abuse? Why shouldn't he approach them, if the match officials aren't willing to do anything to stop the racism?

And what "law" was he taking into his own hands? As for trouble, there already was trouble - he was being racially abused. Why are you attacking the victim?

The authorities should have backed him, but they didn't. The authorities of course in cowardly fashion behind their rule books:

"Muntari was booked for complaining to the referee about abuse he received from some Cagliari fans and received a second yellow card for leaving the pitch without permission.

A Serie A disciplinary committee upheld his punishment but said it could not punish the fans as only "approximately 10" were involved in the racist chants - not enough to trigger action under its own guidelines."

Beachcomber

The authorities did nothing.

In true Italian fashion they spent lots of time punishing the victim, and none going after the racists.

Beachcomber

Why would you silence him, and deny him the opportunity to face these bigots?

Beachcomber

FIFA, over the years have been all over park with this subject of racism/sectarianism within soccer, it amazes many today why for example teams like Linfield/Rangers and the NI pub team are allowed to participate in soccer competitions.
You'd need to start with Glasgow Celtic there Mort, and not innocent teams.

What's this NI pub team? Is it you and your fat yank friends playing on a Sunday morning?

Mickeymac

What's this NI pub team? Is it you and your fat yank friends playing on a Sunday morning?

The Mighty Celts do not engage in such sh1t pal and don't engage in such billyboy tactics and behaviour associated with your pub team.

The disgraceful treatment meted out to James McClean and Neil Lennon by your fanbase will live with you and your ilk forever.....hang your head in shame pal.

FIFA. No longer funding antiracist initiatives as of last year because they've cured the problem.

Fullforward

Go to Celtic Park and racially abuse a player and you'll be blessed to get out alive. As for the Evil Hordes at Ibrox....... World record Holders for refusing to sign a Catholic and World champion Tax Dodgers. FILTH of the Earth.

hollandia

So. An op about racism in football has a racially pejorative term in its title. This site has gone to sh1t.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies