• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Work dodging slackers in Impact demand 30 hour working week suggesting it will increase productivity

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The sheltered non productive sector gains workfare so long as they remain mediocre and never challenge their political masters

Even at that they are overpaid relative to the honest, hard working productive sector

Now a leading trade union wants a 30 hour week, having the temerity to suggest it will result in increased productivity

Public servants to pursue 30-hour working week
Conference told that a six-hour day could result in gains in efficiency and productivity
Is there anything that can be done to cure their flagrant thievery? Did the sons of Roisin die for these little sh1ts to live off the rest of us?

Cyp

Prester Jim

galteeman

The sheltered non productive sector gains workfare so long as they remain mediocre and never challenge their political masters

Even at that they are overpaid relative to the honest, hard working productive sector

Now a leading trade union wants a 30 hour week, having the temerity to suggest it will result in increased productivity

Is there anything that can be done to cure their flagrant thievery? Did the sons of Roisin die for these little sh1ts to live off the rest of us?

Cyp
christ that horrible photo of the horse faced woman has knocked me for 6

dizillusioned

Just a thought... If this woman had to find the money to pay for her wages, would she be of the same opinion?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I'd be fairly shorter working week CAN increase productivity under certain special conditions (for instance, where morale and productivity is low, yet employees are prepared to change work practices in exchange, etc. etc. etc.)

It takes excellent management skills to achieve such an improvement, even under such conditions.

I doubt such special skills are generally in place in the Irish public sector, nor such special conditions.

Fractional Reserve

Cyp
sure they already do least amount of work in the shortest space of time

statsman

Cyp
Anything for a reaction, cyp?

'orebel

How can you be more productive working half a week?

dizillusioned

It's the UNION vision of utopia. It is no wonder unions have lost so many people. I am all in favour of workers rights. But these union idiots have never really had to work to earn their pay and hence are totally detached from reality of the employers and employees.

Trainwreck

Cyp
Let's not be so hasty. If a 25% reduction in working hours can increase productivity by 10%, let's reduce working hours by 75% and get a 30% increase (assuming this is a linear effect).

Wow! maybe this is an exponential effect. reduce working hours by 75% to a 10 hour working week and get a 35% increase! Hell, if that's the case make it 95% reduction and get a 46% increase!

Prester Jim

Let's not be so hasty. If a 25% reduction in working hours can increase productivity by 10%, let's reduce working hours by 75% and get a 30% increase (assuming this is a linear effect).

Wow! maybe this is an exponential effect. reduce working hours by 75% to a 10 hour working week and get a 35% increase! Hell, if that's the case make it 95% reduction and get a 46% increase!
Why on earth why you assume a linear effect? Why would you guess that there was an exponential effect?
If this is an awful attempt at satire you would need to rethink your career in comedy, it is not as if the idea isn't wide open to slagging, amazed anyone can miss such a wide open goal.

'orebel

At the risk of sounding simplistic, by doing the same amount of work in half the time?
At the risk of sounding simplistic, if you can get the same amount of work done in half the time I should have fired you years ago!

My post was tongue in cheek. I'm unaware of any civil servants working a 60 hour week.

Prester Jim

I'd be fairly shorter working week CAN increase productivity under certain special conditions (for instance, where morale and productivity is low, yet employees are prepared to change work practices in exchange, etc. etc. etc.)

It takes excellent management skills to achieve such an improvement, even under such conditions.

I doubt such special skills are generally in place in the Irish public sector, nor such special conditions.
You have a point and I would spread that point to include the private sector here (and elsewhere from reading). Except that there would be an excellent way to reduce the workload and increase productivity; simply reduce the amount of bureaucratic paperwork burdened onto actual productive/frontline workers.
Institute a new rule that any new paperwork must be confined solely to be filled in by administrators/HR and managers and another rule that 60% of the current bureaucratic workload of frontline workers must be transferred to admin, HR and managers, give the latter rule a 6 month lead in to allow the HR/admin/managers to reconsider the aforementioned paperwork and you would see a massive increase in productivity within a year.
As an example, social workers spend well over 50% of their time filling in paperwork and most of it is unnecessary from what I've seen, free them up from that paperwork (or say 80% of it) and see a new blossoming in their morale and productivity.

Mad as Fish

There are several strands to be considered here.

1. What is meant by more productive, are we talking about more work done in the week or more done per hour? I can well believe that productivity per hour will go up, especially if there is some choice in which hours are worked. Personally I get far more done in the afternoon and evenings than in the mornings with mental work but vice versa when doing physical stuff.

2. We are told that there are fewer physical jobs anyway and we have to adapt to more mental/desk bound tasks. Well it may be the case that employers also have to adapt to the situation. Offices always tended to work shorter hours than those on the shopfloor (9 - 5 rather than 8 - 5) so why was this? Snobbery, class division or was there the faint realisation that working the mind can be just as tiring as working the body, or even more so?

3. The unions are talking about a 30 hour week which is only 5 hours less than a 9 - 5 job so I hardly think the OP's wild denunciations are justified. How many hours does he work?

4. Shorter working weeks may well encourage job sharing and help divvy out what work there is. Once the nest is empty and the mortgage paid down there isn't the pressure and I should think many people would be happy working part time, but of course there are those who have a family to bring up and they still need to put in the hours.

If we can step back from the name calling and boggled wing nut rhetoric about slackers and scroungers etc, there may be an intelligent debate to be had here.

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

My experience is that working mothers who do a four day week, are the most productive workers

RasherHash

Let's not forget TDs have a very handy working week and could probably "work in the constituency" i.e. doss all week for very nice lolly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies