• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

World Philosophy Day

statsman

Today is the 10th annual World Philosophy day and the Irish media are finally beginning to wake up to its existence, it seems.

I think in aphorisms, therefore I am Irish - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 15, 2012

In that article, Joe Humphreys reports on the favourite philosophical sayings of various 'celebrities' and I thought it might be fun to extend it somewhat and ask posters here for 1. their favourite philosopher, 2. favourite single philosophical work, 3. favourite philosophical adage and 4. favourite work of political philosophy (which may be the same as number 2).

To get the ball rolling, I'll give my own.

1. Aristotle: the father of the scientific method.
2. Montaigne's Essays
3. Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
4. The Revolution of Everyday Life by Raoul Vaneigem.

owedtojoy

Today is the 10th annual World Philosophy day and the Irish media are finally beginning to wake up to its existence, it seems.

I think in aphorisms, therefore I am Irish - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 15, 2012

In that article, Joe Humphreys reports on the favourite philosophical sayings of various 'celebrities' and I thought it might be fun to extend it somewhat and ask posters here for 1. their favourite philosopher, 2. favourite single philosophical work, 3. favourite philosophical adage and 4. favourite work of political philosophy (which may be the same as number 2).

2. Montaigne's Essays
1. Karl Popper, David Hume (a tie)
2. The Open Society and its Enemies
3. "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" (Hume)
4. The Open Society and its Enemies

SayItAintSo

2. Montaigne's Essays
That's an interesting OP, thanks. Wouldn't have the depth of knowledge in philosophy to contribute in a meaningful way, unfortunately. Will look at other posters choices though and delve a little more :)

Asparagus

2. Montaigne's Essays
5. Enda Kenny: The 5 point plan

Fish

I didn't always agree with the Irish national philosophy of "Fk youse! I'm alright Jack"

But I am now one of its' most ardent proponents..

statsman

What goes up MUST COME DOWN.
You can determine either its location or velocity. However, both of these characteristics can not be known simultaneously.

ruserious

You can determine either its location or velocity. However, both of these characteristics can not be known simultaneously.
Last edited:

Cato

Almost a snap with Statsman!

1. Aristotle, for his practical reason and empirical approach
2. Montaigne's Essays
3. "It is the mark of an educated man to look for precision in each class of things only so far as the subject admits"
4. Liberty by Isaiah Berlin (albeit that it is a collection of his writings including the impressive Four Essays on Liberty). Some part of me feels guilty for not putting Mill's On Liberty here.

Last edited:

sauntersplash

1. Rorty/Peirce
2. Nature by Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. "One seems forced to choose between the picture of an elephant which rests on a tortoise (What supports the tortoise?) and the picture of a great Hegelian serpent of knowledge with its tail in its mouth (Where does it begin?). Neither will do. For empirical knowledge, like its sophisticated extension, science, is rational, not because it has a foundation but because it is a self-correcting enterprise which can put any claim in jeopardy, though not all at once" - Wilfrid Sellars
4. On Liberty - J. S. Mill

EvotingMachine0197

That's an interesting OP, thanks. Wouldn't have the depth of knowledge in philosophy to contribute in a meaningful way, unfortunately. Will look at other posters choices though and delve a little more :)
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. petunia

I'm more of a philosophy youtuber myself too. I like Daniel Dennett.

sauntersplash

2. Montaigne's Essays
3. "It is the mark of an educated man to look for precision in each class of things only so far as the subject admits"
4. Liberty by Isaiah Berlin (albeit that it is a collection of his writings including the impressive Four Essays on Liberty). Some party of me feels guilty for not putting Mill's On Liberty here.
Get a freakin' room!

loaf

1. Alain Badiou - don't understand all of his work by any means, but I feel like he's getting close to something truly useful, and truly contemporary.
2. Camus - The Myth of Sisyphus
3. "The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy." (last words of the above)
4. Multitude, by Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt.

sauntersplash

1. Alain Badiou - don't understand all of his work by any means, but I feel like he's getting close to something truly useful, and truly contemporary.
2. Camus - The Myth of Sisyphus
3. "The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy." (last words of the above)
4. Multitude, by Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt.
I've finally been dragged, kicking and screaming into opening up Being and Event. I drew a line under continental philosophy, Amish style, some years ago. It's a young man's game, gobbledygook, but I do find Badiou's systematising (as it has been described to me) refreshing.

I recently saw Hardt being interviewed for a horrendous film entitled "The Examined Life". Didn't impress me much I must say. See my comment on Socrates and youtube above.

statsman

2. Montaigne's Essays
4. Liberty by Isaiah Berlin (albeit that it is a collection of his writings including the impressive Four Essays on Liberty). Some party of me feels guilty for not putting Mill's On Liberty here.
Great minds, Cato, great minds.