• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

World Vegan Month

Roger Yates

Website
human-nonhuman.blogspot.com
Twitter
Roger Yates
November is designated as World Vegan Month, with the first as World Vegan Day.

Vegan Ireland: The Vegan Society of Ireland organised and attended a series of events for the month. THIS is a review of those activities.

best wishes

RY

ruserious

Genuine Question: Do Vegans get upset at the idea of wild animals eating other animals?

If so, why?
If not, why are humans any different?

Aristodemus

I love my beef medium-rare and venison rare. Lovely!

Ribeye

November is designated as World Vegan Month, with the first as World Vegan Day.

Vegan Ireland: The Vegan Society of Ireland organised and attended a series of events for the month. THIS is a review of those activities.

best wishes

RY
Root of Star?

Did ye get banned?

:)

B

Boggle

Good luck with it... not my thing but, hey, the more vegans there are the less demand for meat and the cheaper my fry-up... :cool:

The Owl

I'm not a Vegan, just a veggi, but that's because I give human feelings to animals, as my mother used to yell at me when I refused to eat meat "animals don't have human feelings. The mother's lamb is not hanging herself in the shed because someone is eating her baby". Just made me worse.

Roger Yates

Website
Twitter
Roger Yates
Genuine Question: Do Vegans get upset at the idea of wild animals eating other animals?

If so, why?
If not, why are humans any different?

There is a "transhumanist philosopher," David Pearce, who does get upset by that, yes - THIS is a podcast he did.

Most animal advocates, on the other hand, would differentiate between "moral agents" and "moral patients." This is what marks humans out as different on this issue - most of us (but not all by any means) are regarded as moral agents who have the ability to think rationally and ethically.

Furthermore, obligate carnivores must eat other animals, whereas humans are most likely to be natural herbivores - see HERE - although we are also regarded as "cultural omnivores."

Cognitive ethologists are discovering that other animals have some forms of morality at work in their societies. I guess that is an example of Darwin's idea that human differ from other animals in degree and not in kind.

best

RY

Roger Yates

Website
Twitter
Roger Yates
I'm not a Vegan, just a veggi, but that's because I give human feelings to animals, as my mother used to yell at me when I refused to eat meat "animals don't have human feelings. The mother's lamb is not hanging herself in the shed because someone is eating her baby". Just made me worse.

Research is suggesting that nonhuman mothers do feel the loss of their offspring. Cows in particular are thought to have a very strong bond with their children.

Of course, this is a case by case thing involving individuals. Some humans seem to care nothing for their children.

best

RY

ruserious

Would veganism spell the end for animals such as pigs?

RootofStar

Root of Star?

Did ye get banned?

:)
Me?

[video=youtube;XzPBUGUM7KQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzPBUGUM7KQ[/video]

RoS

Cellach

There is a "transhumanist philosopher," David Pearce, who does get upset by that, yes - THIS is a podcast he did.

Most animal advocates, on the other hand, would differentiate between "moral agents" and "moral patients." This is what marks humans out as different on this issue - most of us (but not all by any means) are regarded as moral agents who have the ability to think rationally and ethically.

Furthermore, obligate carnivores must eat other animals, whereas humans are most likely to be natural herbivores - see HERE - although we are also regarded as "cultural omnivores."

Cognitive ethologists are discovering that other animals have some forms of morality at work in their societies. I guess that is an example of Darwin's idea that human differ from other animals in degree and not in kind.

best

RY
What in the name of God is a 'transhumanist philosopher'?

Roger Yates

Website
Twitter
Roger Yates
Would veganism spell the end for animals such as pigs?
It is unlikely, although we would stop breeding them (which now-a-days is done by artificial insemination, before farmers would employ what they called the "rape rack.")

Wild boar would remain of course - but the large selectively bred pigs would probably be phased out and/or end up in animal sanctuaries.

Ex-beer farmer, Harold Brown, talks about which other animals may survive HERE.

best

RY

Ribeye

Me?

[video=youtube;XzPBUGUM7KQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzPBUGUM7KQ[/video]

RoS
Yeah I'm talkin te you,

Wha ye goons do, shot me?

Don't think so, that would be against you're principles:)

Moo!

(sound of hooves running away)

:):):):)

chapm

Is that a problem? - I posted a review of the month.

RY
A review in the events forum? I might be interested in attending this event. Oh wait, I cannot as it is in the past.

Why not simply add your comment to the (presumably) existing thread for this event.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies