Worst 'Economic Crisis' since the foundation of the state?

Anglo Celt

Just listened to Brian Cowan on The Week in Politics on the RTE Player and this is a phrase we've heard a lot over the last few months. But is it the worst economic crisis since the foundation of the state? Bowing down to any of you with a grasp on our economic history, but how does the present crisis compare to the aftermath of the 'Economic War'? Surly that had an even worse effect on the countries finances given that we really were all out on our own?

Freedom front

What Crisis - FF Impoverish our people & destroy our Country, things same as always in Fianna Fails World

Cassandra Syndrome

This is by far the worse crisis in the history of the state. Its only beginning.

junius

This is by far the worse crisis in the history of the state. Its only beginning.
For once I agree with Cassandra Syndrome. Often we seem to be on opposite sides of the divide. The 1929 recession started lifting after about four years. The effects of this one could be easily felt by 2007 by those making their way into the work force even though there were huge denials of anything being wrong and Government was still dancing along their merry way. Fast heading for 2011 now the crisis is getting worse by the day and there is a dark tunnel in front of many people. Steeply rising prices of things we have all been trained to 'need' - insurance to protect ourselves and others, oil to heat our homes and the 'peak oil' effect, electricity and gas bills, licences, taxes, the lack of funding for renewable energy sustainability over many many years while the Government indulged the people throwing money about - everything on a steep upward curve and the Government now severely cutting the amount of money everybody receives. I wonder if all the corruption Fintan O'Toole highlights has been rectified. We know about it, not what's happening to fix it. Has anything been done to rectify and correct the off shore accounts situation, to remove the tax loopholes - I don't think it has. It has been highlighted and that's it! Is our government for real??

Our only security is in the numbers of our fellow citizens now being severely affected and I often wonder what's happening those people whose electricity has been disconnected? Have they emigrated or are they lying freezing somewhere? Has anybody found out where to go for that free cheese yet?

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies