Worst ever Irish government?

Harmonica

Obviously its easy to be blinded by the present situation has there ever been such a shockingly bad government? Will we look back in 20 years and view them differently?

The early 80s a bit before my political awareness but surely the short run governments back can't have been as bad?

EUrJokingMeRight

This government has had the technologies of mobile phones, youtube, twitter and other social media to undermine them. I would say previous governments were almost as bad. But the information superhighway was not present to quickly publicise their failings, domestically and internationally.

So more people know about the failings of this government. That will definitely affect how they are viewed 'going forward'(sorry couldnt resist!).

It is just a coincidence that they are the worst government ever. But hey, seemingly the Irish people voted for them. What they were expecting I dont know?

Its like putting the fox guarding the hen house.

nonpartyboy

Without doubt the worst government in the history of the state, this cabinet decided to convert 50bn of private debt into the debt of every person in this country on top of creating an annual 20bn budget deficit, i would put everyone of them on trial for something,anything along with McCreevy and Ahern and i'm not joking.

Boy M5

Surely those who put us in this mess. Greedy McCreevy & his idealogical chums in the PDs, the populist Bertie. Also their colleagues in cabinet including later Finance Minister Cowen.

Greedy McCreevy should have built up sustainable reserves & should have put the brakes on property in 2001 or so by pushing up stamp duty.

We now need a stimulus package, instead we are hollowing out the economy....

turdsl

In watching governments for 50 years, there is no doubt that this set of ministers are the worst ever to sit at a cabinet table,There is not one person with average ability, not one of them have made the slightest impression on the country, Every one them has been an utter failure in their job.

Ah jaysus lads, twas a bit of bad luck wid de de Leemens. Shur who else wud yooz have in charge. Surely not de udder shower...

jimwin

Get back in the cupboard Bertie

thegreyfox

In watching governments for 50 years, there is no doubt that this set of ministers are the worst ever to sit at a cabinet table,There is not one person with average ability, not one of them have made the slightest impression on the country, Every one them has been an utter failure in their job.
Not just utter failures.Complicit in the creation of this mess they deserve to be investigated under the new organised crime gang laws.

Congalltee

The worst government must be 2002 to 2007.
They had a boom and blew it.
They attracted financial services but failed to regulate them.
They paid the public service more money for no more productivity.
They had no vision.
They encouraged a property bubble and expected it to last forever and spent accordingly.
It wad led by a tacky thick on the take.
He was balanced by ministers for finance who were Cowen and McCreevy.

It's only achievements were the St Andrews agreement and the smoking ban. As Albert would say - crap total crap. I believe that Mr. H was even more scathing. And for the period '79 to '81 he should know crap governments.

dakid

The worst government must be 2002 to 2007.
They had a boom and blew it.
They attracted financial services but failed to regulate them.
They paid the public service more money for no more productivity.
They had no vision.
They encouraged a property bubble and expected it to last forever and spent accordingly.
It wad led by a tacky thick on the take.
He was balanced by ministers for finance who were Cowen and McCreevy.

It's only achievements were the St Andrews agreement and the smoking ban. As Albert would say - crap total crap. I believe that Mr. H was even more scathing. And for the period '79 to '81 he should know crap governments.
Yep they're pretty close to the top spot but really it has to be the current shower. Cowen could have moved to limit the damage in '07 but couldn' be bothered to get off his fat arse and check to see if the banks were really in as good shape as what they were saying. All in all Definitely the Worst Government in the history of the state!

stoichkov

the current government wins hands down.

but i do remember the reynolds regime of the early 90s as being fairly bad (albeit nowhere near this bunch of gimps).

it was a serially incompetent administration that lurched from one idiotic gaffe to the next, on what seemed like a weekly basis.

reynolds has since had his reputation whitewashed because he did some good work in the peace process, but he was a pretty terrible taoiseach.

dick spring hardly covered himself in glory during that period either.

kerdasi amaq

I'd say that one of the attractions of Ireland for financial institutions was the quality of banking regulation that they found here.

YoungLiberal

Obviously its easy to be blinded by the present situation has there ever been such a shockingly bad government? Will we look back in 20 years and view them differently?

The early 80s a bit before my political awareness but surely the short run governments back can't have been as bad?
I think the 2002-2007 Government wins this award hands down.

cathal201

Without doubt the worst government in the History of our great nation. This government also has had the worst Taoisagh, who have disgraced the Highest office in the land, namely Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen. Hopefully we the Irish people get justice and see these men in court on trial for economic mismanagment (to put it lightly)

FakeViking

They might be hated now.

But that's only a sample of the hate that their replacements will face, when they start closing major hospitals and slashing pensions.

I expect FF do do very, very well in the election after next, when they do what they do best. Spin.

Ahern's era with McCreevey, Cowen, and Harney - they created the perfect conditions for the events that caused our economic destruction.

So yes, as bad as this current manifestation of FF's gross mismanagement of our country is, the prize for the most inept, corrupt, short-sighted, selfish, and downright stupid government in the history of the Irish state goes to the Ahern administrations of 1997-2007.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies