• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Would a centre-left Triple Alliance be more effective than the sum of its parts?

Breanainn

Yes, I can already anticipate the comments about Labour and Greens, but humour me to the extent of contemplating how effective or otherwise an agreement between Labour, the Greens and Soc Dems would prove in reality. It appears the parties are already engaging in realpolitik, based on this week's council arrangements, and while individual parties have been averaging 5-6% in polls, collectively they would figure in the mid-teens. That said, the three entities already tend to transfer well between one another, so would any formal pact between them yield any greater seat bonus than they currently earn on their own?

Degeneration X

Yes, I can already anticipate the comments about Labour and Greens, but humour me to the extent of contemplating how effective or otherwise an agreement between Labour, the Greens and Soc Dems would prove in reality. It appears the parties are already engaging in realpolitik, based on this week's council arrangements, and while individual parties have been averaging 5-6% in polls, collectively they would figure in the mid-teens. That said, the three entities already tend to transfer well between one another, so would any formal pact between them yield any greater seat bonus than they currently earn on their own?
The real question is will they prop up a FG or FF government if they get enough seats? And would there be any difference in that choice?

Frank Miller

I dont think that alliance would ever make the numbers. I think we are heading for a FF Green Labour coalition with a Healy Rae support if needed. Martin and Howlin are good buddies and Ryan has cosied up to FF before.
Indeed a negotiated pre election pact with a number of agreed policies could blow FG out.

wombat

Indeed a negotiated pre election pact with a number of agreed policies could blow FG out.
I don't think we'll see a pre election pact with FF, too many negatives for the smaller parties but I think we are seeing preliminary steps to forming a new rainbow in the Dublin councils.

Degeneration X

I don't think we'll see a pre election pact with FF, too many negatives for the smaller parties but I think we are seeing preliminary steps to forming a new rainbow in the Dublin councils.
They are cosieing up to FF in the Dublin councils though.

Disillusioned democrat

The Soc Dems can't even pick a leader for themselves...desperate ego politics, just like Lab, that will dilute the sensible vote and doom us to another spin on the FFG magic roundabout.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies