• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Would a new EU Army conscript both men and women?

Hans Von Horn

A single EU Super State must surely mean a single EU Super Army capable of projecting power far beyond it's borders.

Would such an Army use conscription or compulsory National Service to fill it's boots.

Compulsory Military Service is still a feature of life in several European Countries and is most likely to return if it is needed. Mandatory military service in Europe - SWI swissinfo.ch

Would idealistic notions of enforcing the EU version of Democracy become a standing task of a larger streamlined integrated force under unified command ?
Would such a force become the Policeman of Africa and the Middle East?

Is this something Ireland would wish to be a part of and is there an opt out option?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Cheaper to just stand back and let the US deal with this sort of stuff, then piggy back on top of them in a support or humanitarian role. Plus, the EU Super Duper Army (like the US military)wouldn't have to deal with the conscription side of things.

storybud1

Well in this PC world, surely diversity is okay in everything, Gays, women, trannies, minorities, etc,

Sure we could just use the BBC guidelines for diversity and send on the diversity army for certain defeat in any battle, anywhere, as long as the PC fascists and total fooking morons get to "feel good",

No General or senior officer gets appointed without positive discrimination or gender/sexuality quota's , trannie toilets must be installed etc,

South Park is great at taking the total p1ss out of PC weirdo's,

Dubstudent

EU super state? Meh that dream's dead.

Though the Euro weeny army (ferry service?) they'd have attempted to create would've been hilarious all the same.

The rise of Nationalism across Europe is slowly killing the EU like the low grade piece of crap it is, it was and it always will be. The current European political generation are by far the weakest in terms of intellect/policy in the postwar world.

We're laughing at these tired old ''middle ground'' clowns across Europe. What answers do they have to anything substantial?

Apart from that tired old pathetic obfuscation and spin of course. :)

Last edited:

Dubstudent

A very 1930s sentiment!
The League of Nations in all fairness to it hadn't had the chance to be as damaging.

Though I don't see what precedent the EU can work off. These transnational entities/associations etc overall have a poor track record throughout history.

Alas, too true.
They're awful.

* I do mean your generation/age-group.

Last edited:

MichaelR

I thought there was one rebellion in Ireland already following an attempt at introducing conscription?

Catalpast

Well there was widespread civil disobedience in 1918 to stop the British imposing it

Fact is Conscription is an outmoded way of harnessing a State's military capacity

The ratio of manpower to firepower has changed out of all proportion to what it was 100 years ago

The problem we potentially face (and indeed now encounter) is been drawn into taking sides in conflicts that have nothing to do with us eg Russia v's Ukraine

- or dispatching a military force abroad on humanitarian grounds to 'look good' eg the LE Roisin heading out to the Med to 'rescue' illegal migrants

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You would need an amazing quartermaster for a European Super Army. Imagine the logistics and supply problems between the UK, French and German armies for a start.

Considering how NATO got caught with its pants down over the Ukraine and Moscow's intervention there I would hesitate to suggest that a European Army would be in a fit state on the eternal principles of supply lines and communication alone to project soft power anywhere beyond the borders of the EU.

Sending a French General off with a German staff and a UK, Italian and Spanish army. What could possibly go wrong?

MichaelR

Well there was widespread civil disobedience in 1918 to stop the British imposing it
I have a suspicion that, contrary to "official nationalist" discourse, the Conscription Crisis had more to do with stocking the fires of the WoI than the 1916 Rising.

After all, nearly three years passed between the Rising and the first shots. There was an Irish Convention. Not everyone was a fan of the rebels anyway.

But when real, tangible enslavement is clearly threatened, slogans about winning freedom take on much more weight.

(I am certainly biased by being active on anti-conscription since 1994)

Fact is Conscription is an outmoded way of harnessing a State's military capacity

The ratio of manpower to firepower has changed out of all proportion to what it was 100 years ago
Excellent description!

The Field Marshal

Cheaper to just stand back and let the US deal with this sort of stuff, then piggy back on top of them in a support or humanitarian role. Plus, the EU Super Duper Army (like the US military)wouldn't have to deal with the conscription side of things.
Not going to happen.

Irrespective of who wins the current presidential race the USA is committed to reducing its military oversees expenditure as a case of economic necessity.

The US will not underwrite EU security indefinitely which is why the EU is preparing its conscription plans that will also include Ireland.

J.K.A.

Website
europeanmessage.forum24.se
Nothing gonna happen with EU Army. But best size would be 680,000 strong soldiers and out's with Naval Power and Air Force. But this is no my interests with a EU Army. British will stay in EU and if Sweden leave it would been fine. Sweden are Anti EU the leftists in Sweden. I am musician citizen in Sweden. I play chess with new man my personnal house every day he will play chess. I prefers food and tobacco with more great sakes in life outside Armed. I prefer Sweden to join NATO and then we leave EU. British would stay in EU.

Spanner Island

Conscription... in Europe... :lol:

Even an EU army is a bit far fetched...

National Governments can barely agree on when and where to use their own national forces... so it can only be imagined how often the EU would be able to agree to such a thing with an EU army...

If it happened (and it's a big if imo) an EU army would more than likely do little more than UN peace keepers do... and most of the time they'd be in their barracks.

hollandia

A single EU Super State must surely mean a single EU Super Army capable of projecting power far beyond it's borders.

Would such an Army use conscription or compulsory National Service to fill it's boots.

Compulsory Military Service is still a feature of life in several European Countries and is most likely to return if it is needed. Mandatory military service in Europe - SWI swissinfo.ch

Would idealistic notions of enforcing the EU version of Democracy become a standing task of a larger streamlined integrated force under unified command ?

Is this something Ireland would wish to be a part of and is there an opt out option?
Not only men and women, but transgenders too.

Beachcomber

"Ireland" will do what it is told to do, as usual.

Dame_Enda

France and Germany aren't even denying there will be an army any more.

My own view: Im not necessarily opposed to one on the border with Russia as a deterrent. I am strongly opposed to using it to suppress dissent against European integration within the EU or for law enforcement.

Last edited:

Northsideman

Will never ever happen, the EU will shatter and splinter long before that comes to pass and the Brits will be laughing saying told you so.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies