• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Would a very low turnout in "The Children Referedum" be a sign that a constitutional change was unnecessary?

In order to be a valid poll, should there be a minimum threshold set for turnout in referenda?

• Yes

Votes: 107 62.9%
  • No

Votes: 63 37.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bluefirelog

Would a very low turnout in "The Children Referedum" be a sign that a constitutional change was unnecessary?

I've heard a few people saying they expect a low turnout in next Saturday's referendum. Most people expect it to pass by a large majority.

Was just looking at the booklet from the Referendum Commission and wondering if this vote is really necessary...

Most of the new provisions seem to commence with "Provision shall be made by law for..." It seems strange to me to put that in our constitution. It strikes me that the new provisions seem quite prescriptive to put in the Constitution. Couldn't these things (e.g. adoption after a certain period in foster care) have been provided for by law already without a referendum under the current article 42.5?

I think most people will vote YES because these are good things to provide for in law. Most people would wish that these had already been done under the existing provisions of the Constitution. There are obviously serious issues around children that need to be tackled, such as the need for more social workers, the need for appropriate care facilities, better early education etc.

One wonders how much time and money has been spent having this referendum? Would it have been better spent actually bringing in the necessary legislation under the current Constitution and sorting out the real issues around children that exist on the ground?

If there is a low turnout next Saturday, would that be a sign that this referendum is unnecessary?

tigerben

This is a totally under the rader referendum. I know most households got the booklet , but that gets pick up on the floor and straight in the bin in most houses. I haven't heard any body mentioning it or asking which way I'm voting. It will be interesting to see the turn out.

TommyO'Brien

terence

I think there is a minimum turnout of 28% (open to correction) for the referendum to be valid...wonder will it make that threshold.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
There should be a threshold for referendums. If less than 40% of the electorate don't think an issue is important enough to vote, the result should be declared void.

Cato

I think there is a minimum turnout of 28% (open to correction) for the referendum to be valid...wonder will it make that threshold.
There is no minimum threshold.

greengoose2

This referendum is merely a red herring to distract from the woeful haimes the government is making! They are a hapless bunch of kite flying small timers who made rash promises that they renaged on from the very start of their mandate. Roscommon A&E to be precise. Then the "not another cent" lie!

As for looking after children, well the track record of this country is disgraceful! Joke politics.

bluefirelog

According to Wikipedia " A simple majority is sufficient to carry an amendment and there is no minimum turnout required for a constitutional referendum to be considered valid."

Cato

There should be a threshold for referendums. If less than 40% of the electorate don't think an issue is important enough to vote, the result should be declared void.
That could allow people to block a referendum by simply not turning up rather than by voting no.

Davidoff

First vote in my life I wont be attending. Fine Gael using kid's rights to look statemans like, while they screw them for every penny they'll ever make in the next thirty years isn't my idea of democracy in action.
There's certainly a gap between the pious words and the harsh reality.

Cato

This referendum is merely a red herring to distract from the woeful haimes the government is making! They are a hapless bunch of kite flying small timers who made rash promises that they renaged on from the very start of their mandate. Roscommon A&E to be precise. Then the "not another cent" lie!

As for looking after children, well the track record of this country is disgraceful! Joke politics.
It hasn't worked as a distraction though, has it?

asset test

This is a totally under the rader referendum. I know most households got the booklet , but that gets pick up on the floor and straight in the bin in most houses. I haven't heard any body mentioning it or asking which way I'm voting. It will be interesting to see the turn out.
Exactly.

But then again, those who are in favour of this ref for kids maybe don't need it, and those who need it maybe aren't in a position to vote, or don't vote anyway.

Sweeping statement I know.

Morgellons

I won't be voting on this one either. The ads on the radio are disingenouus, telling us we have the power to change the most important document in the land, etc. We haven't the power to change anything worth changing-economy, banks, immigration etc. Then they give us this non-entity of a referendum to make us feel like we have democracy. No, I won't be voting next Saturday.

Cato

Its called a boycott and its a valid tool of democracy.
Boycotts having a legal effect on elections or referenda are only a feature of some democracies but not all.

If you don't turn up, then why should your voice count?

bluefirelog

Boycotts having a legal effect on elections or referenda are only a feature of some democracies but not all.

If you don't turn up, then why should your voice count?
Cato, if I create a new thread with a poll (on the same topic), is it possible for you to merge it with this one?

stakerwallace

I won't be voting on this one either. The ads on the radio are disingenouus, telling us we have the power to change the most important document in the land, etc. We haven't the power to change anything worth changing-economy, banks, immigration etc. Then they give us this non-entity of a referendum to make us feel like we have democracy. No, I won't be voting next Saturday.

I will be and voting yes. I don't think any issue relating to rights is a non-entity whether you vote for or against.