• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Would Carrickfergus be a good North-South rugby sports song? Fields of Athenry cliched from over use?

patslatt

Would Carrickfergus be a good North-South rugby sports song? Fields of Athenry cliched from over use?

Charlotte Church is a fan ,a good recommendation. CARRICKFERGUS LYRICS - CHARLOTTE CHURCH As more Ulster men join the Irish rugby team based on their successful season this year,a good Carrickfergus rendition by the rugby fans could boost North-South Six Nations teamwork and get them over the line!

Campion

When the archbishop of Dublin forced the Gaiety to close down The Ginger Man in 1955 Brendan Behan said that "My uncle Peadar Kearney wrote the national anthem of this country, but at times like these I think that the anthem should be changed to 'Yes, we ain't got bananas!'"

firefly123

How about Gangnam style with all the players doing the horse riding Dance in a form of a haika to the opposition!

Furze

How about Gangnam style with all the players doing the horse riding Dance in a form of a haika to the opposition!
Yea - and BO'D would go down half way through with a strained vocal chord.

statsman

Here's an idea; why not let rugby fans pick the songs they want to sing and keep out of it?

Aindriu

Why does it even have to be about Ireland? The English sing a negro spiritual which has nothing to do with England.

firefly123

Why does it even have to be about Ireland? The English sing a negro spiritual which has nothing to do with England.
Gangnam style is about a posh area in Seoul. Perfect!

automaticforthepeople

During the first Rugby World Cup the Irish team stood to attention to the Rose of Tralee! Honestly if you listen to the words of There is an isle you can't get better and coming from a Leinster supporter thats some admission!

statsman

That seems to be the thing about Rugby (not so much the game itself), it is always staged and corrographed, rarely natural (ie crowd support) unlike Soccer (well, in England anyway, the song choice and chanting in Ireland is brutal)

Rugby is always trying to market itself as something it is not (as of yet, maybe in 20 years time). ie some kind of popular tradition that the world takes to heart like soccer (well, when a rugby team is winning) Granted New Zealand and Wales might be major exceptions, but few other nations give a toss

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But the supporters and the media can be gob************************es trying to engineer certain atmospheres.

Let the people sing what they want, when they want.

Why do the Irish sing a famine song? Munster singing it , is funny.

Do Leinster sing Molly Malone, Irish Rover etc like the Dublin Supporters on Hill 16?
I've sung Molly Malone at rugby internationals in the past, but before the advent of The Fields.

TheFlyingTurd

Rugby is a foreign game.
True Irish people must avoid it and play exclusively Gaelic games.
Our language and our culture are the foundation on which our full freedom from British rule can be built on.
The popularity of British games in Ireland is the strongest evidence of the psychological enslavement of the Irish people.

statsman

Rugby is a foreign game.
True Irish people must avoid it and play exclusively Gaelic games.
Our language and our culture are the foundation on which our full freedom from British rule can be built on.
The popularity of British games in Ireland is the strongest evidence of the psychological enslavement of the Irish people.
Great username; I take it you're not a fan. ;)

Riadach

Asparagus

How about a few bars from
"I rattled one into Mary while her mother went out for turf"

Begob

sic transit

No. Too fecking hard to sing and not enough catchy oh woahs in it.