• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Would Scottish Independence result in a UVF style paramilitary group emerging?

IrishWelshCelt

So let me pre-empt this by saying I dont think the scots will actually vote for independence next year however devolution-max is a distinct possibility within the next decade and that would in the long run at least potentially lead to independence.

So in the event of a yes vote to independence be it next year or some time in the future do you think a loyalist paramilitary group would emerge in opposition in a post-Independent Scotland?

Northern Ireland and Scotland have strong historical links on both side of the political divide so its not inconceivable that the UVF and other loyalist paramilitary groups would provide their arms which they have get to decommission to any potential group. Beside the hardcore sterotypical Rangers fan would opposition to an independent Scotland actually manifest itself in any sort or large scale armed resistance? Is there the capability there?

Mackers

And they have mad dog Jonny Adair living up there and the puppy son if he is out of the clink yet. Starter for 10 Bamber?:p

Mattarigna

So let me pre-empt this by saying I dont think the scots will actually vote for independence next year however devolution-max is a distinct possibility within the next decade and that would in the long run at least potentially lead to independence.

So in the event of a yes vote to independence be it next year or some time in the future do you think a loyalist paramilitary group would emerge in opposition in a post-Independent Scotland?

Northern Ireland and Scotland have strong historical links on both side of the political divide so its not inconceivable that the UVF and other loyalist paramilitary groups would provide their arms which they have get to decommission to any potential group. Beside the hardcore sterotypical Rangers fan would opposition to an independent Scotland actually manifest itself in any sort or large scale armed resistance? Is there the capability there?
Unlikely, to say the very least.

eoghanacht

I remember a Rangers supporter who stabbed a Celtic supporter to death after an old firm game, after being sentenced he requested he serve his time in NI amongst UVF prisoners, as he saw it he was equal to them, some would say he was but thats the calibre of 'men' you would get.

Besides here in Ireland it could be divided between sectarian lines, not so in Scotland so they'd have actually bring themselves to bomb and shoot what are essentially their own.

Thats not too say it couldn't happen. I just couldn't see it lasting, thankfully.

GDPR

different circumstances without a divide and rule approach from London. The 6 counties had issues for a long time before the 26 became free of London.

Mackers

Those Ranger boys see themselves as English. Whilst a fair few of the Celtic faithful see themselves as Irish for the most part. Added to this the Catholic vote in Scotland is pretty much staunch Labour. Interesting times ahead.

Dublin 4

The UVF are an even bigger joke than the Provos - no-one would care...

derryman

Those Ranger boys see themselves as English. Whilst a fair few of the Celtic faithful see themselves as Irish for the most part. Added to this the Catholic vote in Scotland is pretty much staunch Labour. Interesting times ahead.
I know a few ranger supporters in scotland and they would never identify with england.

Mackers

I know a few ranger supporters in scotland and they would never identify with england.
Yep but the amount of English flags at their matches isn't exactly small. To be fair it isn't the same as the North in all respects.

Galloper Thompson

There would be an exodus of scottish loyalist scum to the 6 counties, I dont know how large it would be...but it would happen.

corkery

Yep but the amount of English flags at their matches isn't exactly small. To be fair it isn't the same as the North in all respects.
I don't think Rangers ever have English flags at their games. You'd see far more Scottish flags at Rangers than you would at Celtic.

Mackers

I don't think Rangers ever have English flags at their games. You'd see far more Scottish flags at Rangers than you would at Celtic.
No you'd see far more "Ulster flegs" Ulster as in Northern Ireland Government defunct example. They go with the Dam busters song and Rule Britannia. But whatever floats their boat.:lol:

Northsideman

The Jocks are spineless and will cling to mother England, so it won't happen.

But if we suppose it were to happen the attitude of the BA especially the Black Watch would be more than interesting to observe.

Mattarigna

The Jocks are spineless and will cling to mother England, so it won't happen.

But if we suppose it were to happen the attitude of the BA especially the Black Watch would be more than interesting to observe.
However, the gap is closing in. Excluding the Don't knows, the current support for independence is 46% - which is hardly insignificant.

Ex celt

No english flags. Union jacks yes. Only flown to annoy sf/ira types and it clearly works.
Celtic fly foreign flags. Disgraceful,I say.

moralhazard77

Whatever the result the debate leading up to this referendum should be interesting to observe.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies