• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Would Sinn Féin in Government award pardons, medals and pensions to former IRA Volunteers?

potholedogger

Would Sinn Féin in Government award pardons, medals and pensions to former IRA Volunteers?

I often wondered how Sinn Féin would deal with its past in Government. Would they give pardons to former Volunteers who were convicted in the Republic's Courts or would they allow convictions to stand on Volunteers?

Would they award Volunteers service medals or decorations?

Would those who spend years in prison be given pensions?

Would they give any more State Funerals to fallen Volunteers who would be re-interred?

If the Struggle was justified then recognition for the participants who participated in the "war" would be expected as night follows day.

If there is no recognition it must be interpreted that the struggle was not justified!

Last edited:
R

Ramps

If their majority were large enough and they could leech the money from business people or whatever, that crowd would do all the things you mention; it would be illogical of them to do otherwise.

I'd say it's very unlikely, but that's only because at the moment there are enough older people around who remember what SF/IRA stood for; the danger is that the younger generation, which knows very little about how much of a threat the PIRA was to the State, will allow Gerry and Martin to completely rewrite history, a task that is well under way.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

I often wondered how Sinn Féin would deal with its past in Government. Would they give pardons to former Volunteers who were convicted in the Republic's Courts or would they allow convictions to stand on Volunteers?

Would they give any more State Funerals to fallen Volunteers who would be re-interred?

Presumably you are referring to the situation where they would be in government in the ROI.

They might do something of that sort, but as with many other things where they act in a two-faced way, doing so would be at odds with their oft-stated opinion that the ROI is an illegal partitionist entity.

Exactly why 'volunteers' would want to be recognized/honoured by the partitionist entity the ROI is beyond me, but when it comes to the opportunity to receive money SF/PIRA people soon lose any principles they formerly claimed to have held.

I'd have thought that to be consistent to their principles SF/PIRA would wait until the Irish Republic that they claimed to be struggling for had been re-established. That re-established 32 county entity would surely be the entity that would be in the business of recognizing/honouring those who struggled to bring it about.

Nemesiscorporation

The answer is YES to all of the above.

Also there would be statues of people like Gerry Adam, Sean Russell, etc everywhere.

I dread to think what a SF government would do to minorities such as protestants, those with relatives in the UK security forces, etc.

Also I would expect tarring and feathering of women who date people not approved of by SF to come back, just as they had in Northern Ireland in the 70's.

Life in general would be like North Korea, without the nicieties.

In other words it would be a nightmare.

What Sein Fein would dish out to women if they they got in power http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8381652.stm

Don't worry about objecting, they would back it up with knee capping.

Last edited:

potholedogger

Presumably you are referring to the situation where they would be in government in the ROI.

They might do something of that sort, but as with many other things where they act in a two-faced way, doing so would be at odds with their oft-stated opinion that the ROI is an illegal partitionist entity.

Exactly why 'volunteers' would want to be recognized/honoured by the partitionist entity the ROI is beyond me, but when it comes to the opportunity to receive money SF/PIRA people soon lose any principles they formerly claimed to have held.

I'd have thought that to be consistent to their principles SF/PIRA would wait until the Irish Republic that they claimed to be struggling for had been re-established. That re-established 32 county entity would surely be the entity that would be in the business of recognizing/honouring those who struggled to bring it about.
Sinn Féin have already recognaised the Republic by taking seats in the Dáil!

ruserious

Also there would be statues of people like Gerry Adam, Sean Russell, etc everywhere.

I dread to think what a SF government would do to minorities such as protestants, those with relatives in the UK security forces, etc.

Also I would expect tarring and feathering of women who date people not approved of by SF to come back, just as they had in Northern Ireland in the 70's.

Dunno if serious, or a fan of hyperbolae :confused:

R

Ramps

Sinn Féin have already recognaised the Republic by taking seats in the Dáil!

Said the spider to the fly...

It would be unheard of, of course, for a fascist movement to dissemble by using democratic institutions.

cogar

The thought of SF in government is enough to make my stomach churn. Thankfully I will never happen in my lifetime and I am far from death's door. They would be like FF when they got into government - make their supporters rate collectors and other sinecures in the public service - and that wouldn't be the worse part of it. Then they would start to give free books, eulogizing the dead leaders, to the children of the nation.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Said the spider to the fly...

It would be unheard of, of course, for a fascist movement to dissemble by using democratic institutions.
Amazing how SF have been called everything from fascists to commies !!!! If their fascists, it's unusual company for Nelson Mandela to keep ?

Clanrickard

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
The thought of SF in government is enough to make my stomach churn. Thankfully I will never happen in my lifetime and I am far from death's door. They would be like FF when they got into government - make their supporters rate collectors and other sinecures in the public service - and that wouldn't be the worse part of it. Then they would start to give free books, eulogizing the dead leaders, to the children of the nation.
Look at all this sh!te by the FGers trying to hype Sir Garret Fitzthatcher - http://www.politics.ie/forum/fianna-fail/193620-bertie-ahern-attacks-garret-fitzgerald-says-he-useless.html

factual

Much of that is just alarmism. Sinn Féin aren't likely to get an overall majority anyway.

R

Ramps

Amazing how SF have been called everything from fascists to commies !!!! If their fascists, it's unusual company for Nelson Mandela to keep ?

Aw shucks; that's a lovely picture. The proxy bomber looks angelic, doesn't he?!

Fascists (armalite in one hand, ballot box in the other) can embrace ALL economic systems; and thanks to doublethink, their members will be perfectly happy to accomodate the contradictions.

You do know what the initials NAZI stood for, dont you?

Rocky

If they have any sense no.

The chances of SF having an overall majority anytime in the even distant future is also tiny and FG, FF and Labour all wouldn't let them do anything like that.

potholedogger

If they have any sense no.

The chances of SF having an overall majority anytime in the even distant future is also tiny and FG, FF and Labour all wouldn't let them do anything like that.
There is every prospect of a SF/FF government!

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Aw shucks; that's a lovely picture. The proxy bomber looks angelic, doesn't he?!

Fascists (armalite in one hand, ballot box in the other) can embrace ALL economic systems; and thanks to doublethink, their members will be perfectly happy to accomodate the contradictions.

You do know what the initials NAZI stood for, dont you?
That's Fine Gael Bozo -