Would the other parties hate to see Cowen ousted

Northtipp

I wonder is it in the interests of the other parties for Cowen not to be replaced pre-election. Do they see him as the biggest asset they have when going to the people and the greatest liability FF have. There are tentative signs of his name and face etc being removed from FF candidates web sites. If he was replaced there is certainly a train of thought that suggests the bounce of a new leader would add a few percentage points on to the FF vote.

Holy Cow

Other parties do not care. The FF brand is toxic at this stage, so it makes no difference who is the leader.

Martin sat at cabinet when all this was going on, he is also very responsible for the mess in the health system.

Lendahand brought the IMF in and lied about, he also guaranteed Anglo and INBS, so he is the most toxic option for FF.

Econdo

One would think that after the next general election, Cowen will not be leading Fianna Fáil...What needs to happen is that Cowen makes it very clear now leading into the election that he will step down as leader of the party regardless of the result.....

Tomas Mor

I certainly agree that either Martin or Lenihan would keep a few extra seats for FF, a party that always puts past leaders behind them, going forward,as they did with Lynch, CJH, Albert, Bertie. I think the opposition must be scared Biffo will be replaced !

Northtipp

One would think that after the next general election, Cowen will not be leading Fianna Fáil...What needs to happen is that Cowen makes it very clear now leading into the election that he will step down as leader of the party regardless of the result.....
I am not so sure thats how he or his party see it. I get the impression he is for hanging on and belives he can do the great escpae act. As for the party I wonder does anyone really want it just now. If you take the leadership now and get a hammering in the election that is a millstone around your neck. If you let Cowen get beat up and then take the party ala Enda Kenny you have nothing to lose. I suspect Cowen will see this one out. That may be to the detriment of his party but I think he will. Time will tell

fagen

Well I would never vote FF in next election but I tell you this COwen would murder
End a or Eamon in a leaders debate

Northtipp

Well I would never vote FF in next election but I tell you this COwen would murder
End a or Eamon in a leaders debate
Yes but its not in the debates this election will be one. I suspect Gilmore more correct yesterday when he said it would be fought on the reputation of Cown and FF. In that context and on the basis of the topic of this thread I would suspect Cowen will stay on but deep down the other parties will be delighted

The Caped Cod

I'd say it would suit them alright but I can see a new leadership for a GE with either Lenihan or Martin (my guess would be Martin as he has been relatively unscathed so far)>

I can't wait laugh my ass off as the turn around and try to sell "reform"

Harmonica

No.

Cowen is toxic.

- Senior cabinet Minister for years
- Finance Minister under Bertie
- Taoiseach when hard decisions required.

Its impossible for Cowen get away from those facts.

Cowen might be a positive when fighting from string position but his aggressive manner not suited for defending the indefensible.

smitchy2

A new leader would garner about 5% extra support but all the senior members were complicit in what went on over the last 13 years.

Expose the lot of them

Clown is on his way out, however, if he can hang on until April he will get the full Taoiseach's pension, FFers being gombeens, stroke merchants and criminals are enabling this by allowing him to hang on for the pay out.

New Threads

Most Replies