Would The Russians Target Shannon In The Event Of A Russo-European War?

TruthInTheNews

I think it is highly likely that the Russians would target Shannon in the event of a Russo-European War. If that is the case should Ireland ditch neutrality and hand Shannon over to the US Air Force? What is the harm is if Shannon is going to be bombed anyway? The Russian have already being testing our air defenses.

Russian bomber airplanes flew past the west coast of Ireland

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1916672/panic-as-two-russian-bombers-blast-across-europe-causing-four-countries-to-scramble-fighter-jets-to-intercept-them/

Get Ready, Europe: Is the War Between Russia and Ukraine Back On? | The National Interest Blog

Vladimir Putin: Russia could invade Europe in a year and US army is too weak to defend it | World | News | Express.co.uk

Lúidín

Would The Russians Target Shannon In The Event Of A Russo-European War?
I think it is highly likely that the Russians would target Shannon in the event of a Russo-European War. If that is the case should Ireland ditch neutrality and hand Shannon over to the US Air Force? What is the harm is if Shannon is going to be bombed anyway? The Russian have already being testing our air defenses.
Why aren't you at school today?

Clanrickard

TruthInTheNews..............................hmmmmmmm

Spanner Island

I thought it was common knowledge that Russian nukes were pointing at Shannon... it was in the 1980s anyway... or was it an urban myth?

Regardless, I don't see why the Russians would change that tbh... seeing as they've more than enough nukes to destroy the world several times over... and Shannon has a very long runway enabling all sorts of aircraft to use it... including the Space Shuttle if it ever got into trouble over this way when it was operating...

Rubbish OP... I'd suggest a visit to the ZOO myself... :cool:

razorblade

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1916672/panic-as-two-russian-bombers-blast-across-europe-causing-four-countries-to-scramble-fighter-jets-to-intercept-them/

Get Ready, Europe: Is the War Between Russia and Ukraine Back On? | The National Interest Blog

Vladimir Putin: Russia could invade Europe in a year and US army is too weak to defend it | World | News | Express.co.uk
You're a comedian, and a very unfunny one i may add.

Fritzbox

What is so special about Shannon anyway, is it because it's an airport? We have loads of airports and airfields in Ireland north and south, many of which can be immediately used for military purposes, e.g. NATO. Lots of ports and harbours too.
A veritable natural aircraft carrier is Ireland.

locke

What is so special about Shannon anyway, is it because it's an airport? We have loads of airports and airfields in Ireland north and south, many of which can be immediately used for military purposes, e.g. NATO. Lots of ports and harbours too.
A veritable natural aircraft carrier is Ireland.
Shannon has a good, long runway that points into the prevailing winds

Only Belfast International comes close to being as favourable from that perspective.

For military use, only aviation infrastructure is important, not other factors like catchment population.

Fritzbox

Shannon has a good, long runway that points into the prevailing winds
The runways at many other Irish airfields are long enough for military use. on the whole, I don't think the Russians really cared for the significance of Irish neutrality.

The Field Marshal

Observing the political EU scum that are now destroying the European continent should Russia feel the need to
step in to sort out the mess Ireland might gladly offer the Russian air force full and complete use of Shannon for whatever needs to be done.

between the bridges

Yes...

jmcc

I think it is highly likely that the Russians would target Shannon in the event of a Russo-European War.
Yes and Knock airport. It would also probably have plans to target Cork too. There's a lot of old Cold War history on this with possible attack scenarios.

The Field Marshal

Вы имеете в виду да. Это хорошая идея. Я учусь говорить по-русски.

[You mean yes. This is a good idea. I am learning to speak Russian.]

locke

The runways at many other Irish airfields are long enough for military use. on the whole, I don't think the Russians really cared for the significance of Irish neutrality.
It depends what you mean by military use. You could certainly get fighter jets airborne. However, a fully-laden bomber would struggle at most Irish airports.

callas

Observing the political EU scum that are now destroying the European continent should Russia feel the need to
step in to sort out the mess Ireland might gladly offer the Russian air force full and complete use of Shannon for whatever needs to be done.
Quislings are the lowest form of life.

Fritzbox

Вы имеете в виду да. Это хорошая идея. Я учусь говорить по-русски.

[You mean yes. This is a good idea. I am learning to speak Russian.]
Molodets!!

statsman

At the moment, handing anything over to the Americans is barely distinguishable from handing it over to the Russians. So no, they can both f#ck off.

The Field Marshal

Quislings are the lowest form of life.
I agree.
Especially the ones that have sold out Irelands independence.

Ireland will need help to defend herself against the EU federalist scum now seeking to take over complete control of the country.
Such help is unlikely to come from the US or the UK therefore Russian assistance may be required.

Offering the Russians full use of Shannon would be a first and helpful step in this direction.

Boy M5

It depends what you mean by military use. You could certainly get fighter jets airborne. However, a fully-laden bomber would struggle at most Irish airports.
and tanker aircraft.

And fully laden transport aircraft including widebody airliners like the US use to deploy troops to Middle East.

O

Oscurito

How could Russia go to war with Europe? Russia is a European country and is part of Europe.

It would be like Cork declaring war on Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies